General Weather/Earth Sciences Topics > Weather Conditions Discussion

Short term 10ºF temp rise

(1/2) > >>

shimon:
We've been waking up for the past 10 days to temps right around freezing and usually around 6am the temp is constant or dropping slightly.  But this morning woke up to 42ºF temps and then around 7am it quickly dropped back to freezing.  Looking at the data on WU, I noticed a brief spell of strong wind and a rise in pressure telling me a warm front moved in...but then why did the temperature drop suddenly?  Is there a name for this phenomenon?  I know just the basics of weather but this has me stumped.  And I have a second outdoor temp sensor that was showing the same readings so it's not a glitch in my Davis weather station.  This post talks about about a short temp drop but not sure if it's part of the same phenomenon: https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=43538.0

Below is a screenshot of my weather page from this morning and then below are the two previous days for comparison.  WU page is KWASEDRO8.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

ocala:
Don't have a clue but maybe that little rain shower you had about the same time brought down colder air from above?
Stuff like this is exactly why we have weather stations.   :-)

miraculon:
I live a few blocks inland from Lake Huron. Mostly in the summer, we will start the day with a SW wind (offshore) and as the land heats up, the local "low'" will cause a wind shift to an onshore breeze. Temperature changes of  10-12°F occur as a result of this almost on a daily basis. I know that this doesn't apply in your case, but rapid temperature changes can occur and this is an example of one cause.

As the post that you link mentions, this can be due to local topography or a local condition such as the downdraft of cold air that ocala mentions.

Greg H.

shimon:

--- Quote from: ocala on November 17, 2022, 07:31:50 PM ---Don't have a clue but maybe that little rain shower you had about the same time brought down colder air from above?
Stuff like this is exactly why we have weather stations.   :-)

--- End quote ---

Thanks...but no rain.  Haven't seen a cloud all week.  We get a lot of dew/frost overnight and usually once it warms up, there is enough in the rain catcher to trigger 0.01".

shimon:

--- Quote from: miraculon on November 18, 2022, 08:51:08 AM ---I live a few blocks inland from Lake Huron. Mostly in the summer, we will start the day with a SW wind (offshore) and as the land heats up, the local "low'" will cause a wind shift to an onshore breeze. Temperature changes of  10-12°F occur as a result of this almost on a daily basis. I know that this doesn't apply in your case, but rapid temperature changes can occur and this is an example of one cause.

As the post that you link mentions, this can be due to local topography or a local condition such as the downdraft of cold air that ocala mentions.

Greg H.

--- End quote ---

Thanks.  I've seen lots of rapid temperature changes but I don't recall ever seeing a rapid 10ºF rise and then drop over a short period.  I was hoping there was a technical name for this phenomenon.  I'll keep searching and looking around...if I find something I'll post my findings.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version