Weather Station Hardware > AcuRite Weather Stations

My 5-N-1's fan has stopped working.

(1/4) > >>

worachj:
Seems like my 5-N-1's fan has stopped working after 62 months. I’m now getting daytime temps 12° above the actual temperature. I did notice that the fan was audibly pretty noisy when I walked by it last March. Also, when I did its yearly maintenance check last fall, I did noticed that the solar panels where whitish looking and maybe dying.

I’m going to have to take it down and try cleaning the solar panels and do a recheck on the fan. But I think it’s the fan that died. I don't plan on replacing it since I have a Atlas that's been working flawlessly(After fixing many problems) the last 15 months.

I guess its not too bad to get 62 months of usage out of it especially in my cold Minnesota climate.

worachj:
I found the following quote on the internet. I haven't tried to clear the plastic covering on my solar panels yet because I don't have Clear Nail Polish or Lacquer.

Any other suggestions to clear the my solar panels besides the above or soapy water?

--- Quote --- Revamping Cloudy Plastic

Fix that cloudy plastic covering the solar cells by coating it with a thin layer of clear nail polish or a spray-on clear lacquer. These clear coatings render the plastic clear once again. Cover the areas surrounding the plastic -- either the housing for the cells or the lid of a light with a built-in solar panel -- with painter's tape before applying the chosen clear-coat material. Peel the tape away once the coating dries.

--- End quote ---

worachj:
I just got done taking down my station and examining it. Can't find any problems with the fan -- it just no longer works. I think its dead!

Found a suggestion to use tooth paste on the plastic coverings of car headlights and decided to try it on the solar panel covering. It WORKS great! Clear them right up.

Jim_S:

--- Quote from: worachj on June 12, 2022, 10:41:55 AM ---I just got done taking down my station and examining it. Can't find any problems with the fan -- it just no longer works. I think its dead!

Found a suggestion to use tooth paste on the plastic coverings of car headlights and decided to try it on the solar panel covering. It WORKS great! Clear them right up.

--- End quote ---
Did you check the voltage going to the fan? Is it getting power.

Good tip on the toothpaste. Thanks!

worachj:

--- Quote from: Jim_S on June 12, 2022, 02:23:19 PM ---
Did you check the voltage going to the fan? Is it getting power.

Good tip on the toothpaste. Thanks!

--- End quote ---
I would, but I don't own a voltage meter. Don't know how many times I needed one, maybe some day I'll get one.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version