Author Topic: WiFiLogger - Connect your Davis console directly to the Internet via WiFi  (Read 109440 times)

Offline rockncola

Re: WiFiLogger - Connect your Davis console directly to the Internet via WiFi
« Reply #700 on: December 30, 2018, 03:49:44 AM »
Will there eventually be an option to view previous days' recorded data?

I have concept how to do this, but I can't make it in one week :(

It's all good. :) Take all the time you need. I was just curious to know if it could be implemented that's all.

I love the device otherwise though. It works flawlessly. Well done.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #701 on: December 30, 2018, 07:52:39 AM »
Will this work reliably with Cumulus MX?
Randy

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #702 on: December 30, 2018, 08:58:56 AM »

We need to wait for answer from PaulMy. He is testing WFL with MX.
I know that there were some problems, but were resolved and should work fine now.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #703 on: December 30, 2018, 09:09:41 AM »

We need to wait for answer from PaulMy. He is testing WFL with MX.
I know that there were some problems, but were resolved and should work fine now.

Thanks, I ordered one just to test MX. Probably not a good idea yet so canceled order for now.
Randy

Online PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #704 on: December 30, 2018, 09:55:54 AM »
Before with MX built 3034 and WiFiLogger I had multiple MX crashes - sometimes running for 2 or 3 days and sometimes for only a few hours.  This was somewhat similar like my experience with running VVP with Weatherlink and Cumulus 1.  Doing the testing of Mark's new MX build 3045 (providing MXdiags and screen captures) in which he has improved MX handling if any console access conflict it has worked fine since December 21st with no crashes.

I have WiFiLogger upload to all the sites: wl.com, WU, CWOP, WOW, AWEKAS, PWS, WC and one more at 5 min, and also uploading the realtime.txt and wflexp.json files at 1 min so quite a bit of activity.  WiFiLogger is set at AutoPause and CumulusMX at 20 sec disconnect.

The test site is http://www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmx/

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline kobuki

• Forecaster
« Reply #705 on: December 30, 2018, 04:21:39 PM »
Sorry if my question doesn't belong to this thread, but could I (theoretically) use the WFL to upload to the paid WeatherLink service? Or does WL require a valid serial of one of their WLIP products?

Online PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #706 on: December 30, 2018, 05:17:03 PM »
could I (theoretically) use the WFL to upload to the paid WeatherLink service? Or does WL require a valid serial of one of their WLIP products?
I have the free wl.com 2.0 and it is being updated by my WiFiLogger at 5 min interval and don't have and never had a WeatherlinkIP or previous wl.com account, and it works fine.
Since the free account does not give access to the historical data so can't say if that is an issue, but I doubt it.

One experience I have is that my weatherlink.com by itself does not update to GLOBE.  I have a valid School and Site ID and these are set in wl.com to update at 15 min.

I have a Davis/Envoy/USB logger setup and run Weatherlink 6.0.2 occasionally to keep the .wlk files up to date at 10 min interval.  Wl6.0.2 also has the school and site id's entered in GLOBE settings.
I also have a Vue console which has the WiFiLogger and have that setup upload to wl.com at 5 min interval and that works fine and runs 24/7.

When I ONLY run WiFiLogger the wl.com updates occur just fine but GLOBE does not get updated.
When I run WiFiLogger AND wl6.0.2 then a batch update to GLOBE is done with data at the 5 min WiFiLogger interval for the period from the previous running of wl6.0.2.  I have 7 days of this experience.

I only mention this as there seems to be some unique process with my free wl.com non-wlIP setup and not sure if that has any impact on the paid version with historical data.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #707 on: December 30, 2018, 07:59:21 PM »
Sorry if my question doesn't belong to this thread, but could I (theoretically) use the WFL to upload to the paid WeatherLink service? Or does WL require a valid serial of one of their WLIP products?

As Paulmy states below, uploads to WL 2.0 (the free one) works fine using WiFi logger. Been uploading to them for several months without issue. I am using firmware ver. 1.24 in the logger.
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline kobuki

• Forecaster
« Reply #708 on: December 30, 2018, 08:10:39 PM »
Thanks for the responses. However, as I stated - I'd like to know if I can upload to the paid service with extended functionality. My possibilities are most probably the monthly fee based service or the purchase of a hardware device with a unique serial that can activate the advanced online service (WeatherLink Pro), but I don't have more info on this.

Offline Lars_Olsson

« Reply #709 on: December 30, 2018, 09:22:20 PM »
Where is the notification of new release of software found?
Haven't got any notification from the forum in this thread about 1.24.
Where can I find 1.24?

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #710 on: December 30, 2018, 09:42:23 PM »
First message in this thread has the downloads.
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline Lars_Olsson

« Reply #711 on: December 31, 2018, 03:23:54 AM »
Thanks.
Happy New Year to you all.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #712 on: December 31, 2018, 04:14:31 AM »
Thanks for the responses. However, as I stated - I'd like to know if I can upload to the paid service with extended functionality.

This boils down to two points:

1. The extra features of the Pro account effectively use the archive data, not the current conditions data (at least for logger-based uploads - Connect/EM are different). So the question is whether WFL performs the hourly uploads of archive data, in addition to the per-minute data. I'm not sure of the answer here - Wojtek should be able to confirm.

2. Will Davis allow a 'non-Davis' account to be upgraded to Pro? Pretty sure that they won't discriminate.

So the main unknown is about the archive uploads.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 04:27:13 AM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #713 on: December 31, 2018, 05:05:50 AM »

It is almost same transmission to WL.COM when you use WL IP, or WL PC + USB/RS232 logger.
WiFiLogger can make both. At this moment is better to use WL PC option in WiFiLogger.
WiFiLogger is transmiting:
1. Settings
2. Real time data
3. HiLows
4. Archive  records.

WL 6.0.5 is now for free if I checked good. So you can send data to WL.COM with clone logger + WL PC, or use WiFiLogger to make same work using 0.3 Watt.

I don't think that Davis will disable WL IP, or WL PC transmission. I don't know if this is possible. Let's assume that there is 20-30k WL IP in the world. It is impossible to force all users to upgrade theirs WL IP to change transfer method. Another thing I don't know if WL IP hardware can send encypted data.
Davis have better option now, subscription. No matter how you will send data, you have to pay for charts (archive/logger data).
Maybe Davis like to have data from your station on own server? Then WiFiLogger is better for them, than clone logger + Cumulus which can't send to WL.COM.

Offline kobuki

• Forecaster
« Reply #714 on: December 31, 2018, 06:56:11 AM »
John: your first point is probably an important one. That would imply that without a Davis logger solution (be it WL/serial or WLIP for instance) the WL Pro cannot be used to its full potential. Although according to Wojtek the old type of upload service will probably continue to work for the foreseeable future to not alienate owners of the old loggers, and that could be a "workaround". I'm thinking of paying for an original logger and use the Pro service, registering its serial on their web site. This would most probably be a one-time purchase and I'll be able to use the service without additional monthly subscriptions.

Wojtek: do I understand it right that there are 2 types of upload services, one for the old and one for the newer devices?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 07:00:22 AM by kobuki »

Offline kobuki

• Forecaster
« Reply #715 on: December 31, 2018, 06:57:58 AM »

It's very nice to have a support forum thread but I think a simple web page with all the stuff in the first post and some pointers to distributors would be very useful...

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #716 on: December 31, 2018, 07:17:36 AM »
@Kobuki: Old vs new is not really an accurate or helpful way of looking at it. Currently there are four sources that can upload to wl.com:

1. Local Weatherlink (eg for Windows) typically sourcing data from a USB or serial logger;
2. WeatherlinkIP logger
3. Connect systems
4. EM systems

1 and 2 are the logger-based options while 3 and 4 are the cellular ones. Wojtek is recommending that you emulate option 1 with a WFL. Details for doing this are on our knowledgebase at:

https://www.manula.com/manuals/pws/davis-kb/1/en/topic/wfl-uploads-to-weatherlink-com

Wojtek also seems to have confirmed that archive uploads are also enabled, so a Pro account should run OK.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #717 on: December 31, 2018, 08:39:39 AM »
I will write it once more:)

WiFiLogger works correctly with WL.COM.
It can use DID from broken oryginal WL IP, or you can generate DID on WL.COM site. Generated DIDs are for USB/RS232 data loggers, but works perfectly with WiFiLogger.

To view charts from archive data, you have to buy subscription. No matter what. If you have original WL IP, you need to pay for charts as well.
Using WeatherLink for PC 6.0.5 you can download archiver records from WL.COM server. Like before when you were using WL IP.
It is working with WL IP DIDs and with free DIDs.
I have just tested it. WL IP and free DID has same 2048 pages capacity = 10240 data entries. *free DID assigned to PRO account.

Complicated, but WL.COM is still very good service. It's perfect for VP2 with addons, other website don't use additional humidity, soil moisture etc.

Offline kobuki

• Forecaster
« Reply #718 on: December 31, 2018, 08:51:59 AM »
It can use DID from broken oryginal WL IP, or you can generate DID on WL.COM site. Generated DIDs are for USB/RS232 data loggers, but works perfectly with WiFiLogger.

To view charts from archive data, you have to buy subscription. No matter what. If you have original WL IP, you need to pay for charts as well.

Thanks! That's what I wanted to know.

@John: on the WFL thread it should be obvious I'm not interested in cellular. Anyway, sorry for being imprecise, I'm not very invested in the particulars of Davis connection offerings. By "new" I meant uploading to the new Davis Cloud based WL (Pro offerings).

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #719 on: January 02, 2019, 05:20:55 AM »
I don't have a weather station yet, but this device may push me over the edge to purchase one of the current gen Davis products. My eventual goal is to integrate the collected data with modern open source platforms like Prometheus.
I've got a few questions around the JSON data and it's various delivery methods:
  • Is there any detailed developer focused documentation on the JSON produced by the WFL at this point?
  • Are the JSON documents produced by the /wflexp.json endpoint, MQTT, FTP, and the HTTP PUT are all the same?
  • Has any consideration been given to cleaning up the data model in JSON to make it more consistent (i.e. make date/time always represented using the same notation, make high/low data a dictionary/hash instead of a positional array, etc.)? If there is, and there's enough memory, I'd suggest switching to a versioned API for the HTTP endpoint (e.g. /v1/wflexp.json, then /v2/wflexp.json, etc.)

Lastly, is there a product page that summarizes the knowledge spread throughout this thread? On that page I'd imagine some FAQs, a full changelog, and maybe a product roadmap (maybe just a GitHub page even if the intent is to keep the source closed)
I see many of the elements I'm looking for as differentiators between a strong product and something neat the community has built, even if it is closed source.
Thanks!

Sorry I couldn't answer you when you posted, then I have forgot.
- I have Excel file with description, you have to merge it with Davis communication manual.
- Yes. Export JSON file is the same via FTP/HTTP/MQTT it contains all real time data + all hilows + some settings
- Internet Of Things have limited memory, so this JSON file was made in this shape to send big chunk of data + should work fine with system. Arrays in Json are not a problem. You can use for/while loops to process data.
- There is no space for 2 JSON files. To this one which exist I will just add some more settings like IP number, name of device and that will be all.
- Another JSON will be data from archive memory. This will be JSON format. One last arch. registration, or array with batch of 5 entries.

I am not familiar with GitHub. I am preparing simple web page to share all instructions which I have + latest firmware.

Offline R_o_B

• WxElement panel
« Reply #720 on: January 02, 2019, 09:26:57 AM »
Wojciech, would it be possible, one day, for the 'WiFiLogger' to produce a data text file that would be similar (compatible with) the data text file ('clientraw.txt') produce by the Weather Display software.

Currently, the 'WiFiLogger' is producing the data text file ('realtime.txt') which is (used to be) produce by the Cumulus software.

By getting involved in replying to some users' questions in the 'Weather-Watch.com' forums, I have been promoting the 'WiFiLogger' to replace the somewhat outdated Davis Instruments Data Loggers - the Weather-Watch.com forums are the main support forums for the Weather Display software.
R_o_B
---
eMail: weather@herray.net

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #721 on: January 02, 2019, 05:37:50 PM »
Wojciech, would it be possible, one day, for the 'WiFiLogger' to produce a data text file that would be similar (compatible with) the data text file ('clientraw.txt') produce by the Weather Display software.
Currently, the 'WiFiLogger' is producing the data text file ('realtime.txt') which is (used to be) produce by the Cumulus software.
By getting involved in replying to some users' questions in the 'Weather-Watch.com' forums, I have been promoting the 'WiFiLogger' to replace the somewhat outdated Davis Instruments Data Loggers - the Weather-Watch.com forums are the main support forums for the Weather Display software.

Realtime.txt wasn't good idea. Console doesn't provide data exactly like Cumulus. So in realtime.txt are simple data from console + zeroes, where should be Cumulus statistic data.
I have made some functions which are unnecessary and leave behind very important thing which is archive date. It's a logger, so mainly should serve logger data, right?
I think I should have strategy. My newest is to export last archive entry as JSON file (FTP/MQTT/HTTP).
In my opinion best custom export option is HTTP which is not exist in firmware 1.24, but I am testing it http://wifilogger.net/station/php/. Works perfectly.
Exporting data to PHP gives us more option. Now retrived data via PHP are simply save to json file. But proper PHP could also rewrite it to Realtime.txt, or to any other standard.
So it's very simple. WiFiLogger is exporting fast and robustly JSON file via HTTP to PHP script, this one can be configure/or replace with other PHP, to process data from JSON.
So JSON in live procedure could be save to file/save to database/save to Realtime.txt or other standard.
It will make WiFiLogger much simpler to setup which is very needed. It can't be complicated.
Advanced users with own servers, can configure PHP/MQTT to save data in standard which they need.

In my opinion this is good direction.

Offline Lars_Olsson

« Reply #722 on: January 02, 2019, 06:33:00 PM »
In my opinion the best is to get all possible data from logger, then handled it and do own calculations or whatever, in a simple php-file.
I use the json file that way and parse the data to a database. Then it's possible to do whatever I want with the data.
Keep up the good work Wojtek.
Cheers.

Offline kobuki

• Forecaster
« Reply #723 on: January 03, 2019, 07:40:29 AM »
In my opinion this is good direction.

I agree. What probably 90% of users need is easy uploading to PWS services. I think that could be a priority, ie. adding more of those to make it more attractive for various services' users. Many people just run a PC or some small appliance with a Davis logger device to upload to those as I reckon. They could scrap/sell those and use a WFL instead. For the rest of us a fixed JSON and/or MQTT for integration for current conditions and as far as available resources allow, access to old records is needed.

Just a hint: your HTML and JS files are full of unneeded white space - you could minify those files to gain some free space. Also, you could compress them with gzip and add the appropriate headers to your HTTP response for compression. I'd expect around 70-80% of space savings on those files. IIRC ESPAsyncWebServer supports that.

Offline nmenoni

« Reply #724 on: January 08, 2019, 04:59:29 PM »
I have 2 questions:

- Is it possible to upgrade the firmware? How?
- Is it possible to send data to a proprietary system via post HTTP or MQTT?

Thank you

anything