Author Topic: Remote anemometer (like 1km away)  (Read 427 times)

Offline plex

• Contributor
Remote anemometer (like 1km away)
« on: January 13, 2020, 01:58:55 PM »
Hi

I'm running a station based on the Davis sensor suite and a Meteobridge Pro+ - it means I don't own a Davis console.

However my anemometer has been out of service for more than one year, due to work on the house. The pole attached to the house is taken down, and it's not coming back. It really doesn't fit my property, and high trees is giving inaccurate readings anyway.

But I have access to a 30 meter pole located about 1 km from my house, so I'm thinking about moving the anemometer and keeping the sensor suite in my garden with the MBP. I like the idea of having some hardware left at my house, but of course the easiest thing, would be moving the entire station away to the remote location.

If I should split my station, and only move the anemometer. How can I do this - what hardware do I need, and is't possible to send data from one Meteobridge to another, to have all data combined? The remote location has internet access.

Also I do have the Davis 6332 wireless remote kit.

The solution must be rather inexpensive

Thanks in advance

Online johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
Re: Remote anemometer (like 1km away)
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2020, 02:11:27 PM »
No easy way of reliably doing this I'm afraid - 1km is just too far. One long-range repeater (7654) with 2 antennas would probably work but cost = ca 500€. You might just get away with a high-mounted regular repeater (7627) but it would be very marginal.

(If you've already got a 6332 then only the anemometer would need to move.)
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline plex

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2020, 02:15:33 PM »
No easy way of reliably doing this I'm afraid - 1km is just too far. One long-range repeater (7654) with 2 antennas would probably work but cost = ca 500€. You might just get away with a high-mounted regular repeater (7627) but it would be very marginal.

I was thinking about using the internet, for sending the wind data, but I don't know how to do it, or if it's possible.

Maybe if I bought a secondhand Davis console for reading the anemometer, and a cheap meteobridge tp-link someway cheap hardware option, to send the data?

Online johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2020, 02:28:27 PM »
I was thinking about using the internet, for sending the wind data, but I don't know how to do it, or if it's possible.

Well, all sorts of things are theoretically possible - just a question of the time, effort and cost of doing it. But my guess is that anything other than a Davis repeater is going to be more complex and probably more costly to do (unless you have other hardware to hand already like a cellular Internet gateway - and then how are you going to power that?). And yes there are theoretically ways of uploading just the wind data across an Internet link but then how are you proposing to integrate the wind data with the rest of your data?
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2020, 04:58:43 PM »
...my anemometer has been out of service for more than one year, due to work on the house. The pole attached to the house is taken down, and it's not coming back. It really doesn't fit my property, and high trees is giving inaccurate readings anyway.

It would be less hassle and cheaper to just put up a new pole for your anemometer in the best location possible despite the trees. There is no such thing as "it isn't accurate because of trees". It is what it is for your location. Accept the trees. Sure you want to try and avoid them as much as possible for the best siting, but if they are there, then they are there. That is your micro-climate and the data would be indicative of that location with its trees. You'll still be able to track trends. It will be what is normal for your location. Someone that lives at the foot of a mountain can't say that their location is not optimal because of the mountain. That mountain is there and whatever their wind is, is what it is for that location.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 05:00:28 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline plex

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2020, 12:17:41 AM »
...my anemometer has been out of service for more than one year, due to work on the house. The pole attached to the house is taken down, and it's not coming back. It really doesn't fit my property, and high trees is giving inaccurate readings anyway.

It would be less hassle and cheaper to just put up a new pole for your anemometer in the best location possible despite the trees. There is no such thing as "it isn't accurate because of trees". It is what it is for your location. Accept the trees. Sure you want to try and avoid them as much as possible for the best siting, but if they are there, then they are there. That is your micro-climate and the data would be indicative of that location with its trees. You'll still be able to track trends. It will be what is normal for your location. Someone that lives at the foot of a mountain can't say that their location is not optimal because of the mountain. That mountain is there and whatever their wind is, is what it is for that location.

Point taken  [tup]

Thanks

anything