Author Topic: Gladstonefamily.net is Not Working for all Stations - Storm Clouds Gathering  (Read 1955 times)

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
FYI - Seems like Gladstonefamily.net is currently down for all Stations. Any attempt to reach a station results in getting redirected to this error page.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 01:21:37 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Working fine here.
http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/wxpage.cgi?call=CW1118

That is FindU not Gladstonefamily.net. I'm not saying that CWOP is down. I'm saying that Gladstonefamily.net the analysis site is down which is related but separate. Gladstonefamily.net is just a site that gets data from MADIS and provides analysis graphs and reports.
Tele-Pole

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
Never mind. Didn't know that site existed.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Never mind. Didn't know that site existed.

No problem. For your station the link is:
http://weather.gladstonefamily.net/cgi-bin/wxqchart.pl?site=C1118
or
https://weather.gladstonefamily.net/site/C1118

And you can actually get to it right from your FindU page (whenever it gets back online) :

It is just another way of looking at the CWOP data like Mesowest is yet another way.

Here is a good post which points out all the interesting places that your CWOP data shows up on:
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=35089.0

« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 02:53:45 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
Oh, the QC site. Yeah, I knew about that.
Never paid attention to what the url said though.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Oh, the QC site. Yeah, I knew about that.
Never paid attention to what the url said though.

Okay pheew! I was thinking at first in disbelief that you, a seasoned member, how could you have not known. I guess we all have our moments  :-)  CWOP is very confusing how it all works. There are many online weather services and they all pretty much work the same like isolated islands, but not CWOP as there is nothing quite like it.
Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
UPDATE: Back up and running

Looks like Gladstonefamily.net is back up and running, but unfortunately it was down most of the day today and it seems to be missing almost an entire day of data including MADIS analysis.

Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Woah! The missing data from yesterday 7-21 back filled automatically and is now all there. That is nice...

Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Sept. 21, 2019  weather.gladstonefamily.net is down
It's been down all day.

Here we are 2 months later since the last incident and the database is hosed again.

From Philip Gladstone:
Yeah -- the database server is hosed. I've opened a ticket with the people who manage it, but I have not heard anything (apart from the auto-reply).
« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 08:11:01 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
Re: Gladstonefamily.net is Not Working for all Stations - Storm Clouds Gathering
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2019, 08:28:15 PM »
Personally, more reason to be glad that I don't care. PWS owners will put out "whatever" anyway, and they're your true "judge and jury" on this site (others as well), good just as much as bad. Why people don't simply evaluate their own data and put stock in this I have no idea. :roll:

Offline SoMDWx

• Forecaster
    • Southern Maryland Weather
Re: Gladstonefamily.net is Not Working for all Stations - Storm Clouds Gathering
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2019, 08:34:23 PM »
Totally agree... This OCD behavior over PWS is a real drama to watch......

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2019, 08:46:05 PM »
Totally agree... This OCD behavior over PWS is a real drama to watch......
Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm totally OCD about my PWS and the data I put out, I just don't let some arbitrary garbage dictate what they say is good and what's not.

Offline SoMDWx

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2019, 09:15:46 PM »
My point....

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2019, 10:34:37 PM »
Gladstonefamily.net is useful even for those outside of the US where their CWOP stations don't receive analysis results. I use it not to chase analysis lines as nobody should do that anyway, but rather I use it to compare neighbor station to neighbor station (and many at one time). It is a very convenient website to use that overlays your graph lines with your neighbor station's lines. Over time it helps you gauge drift. You aren't just looking at your data but you are easily looking at many data from different stations at the same time. If you learn how to manipulate the URL address you can even make comparisons for stations that are not in the list of recommended nearby stations (it is pretty simple actually....just append &addnl=ID where ID is the station ID you want to add as a comparison.)

I understand many people have a beef with Gladstonefamily.net because they end up with red X marks and thumbs down. But that is not all the site is good for. If that is all you take from it then you are missing the power the site has to offer. I've only mentioned but one use case but there are other many uses.

So I don't understand the dislike against Gladstonefamily.net.

Take this example of a station I recently calibrated near me. It is just nice to see graph results without needing to install any software. This is information you can provide to help other station owners. It also offers more insight into your own station (all the while ignoring the red line).

« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 10:55:55 AM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2019, 08:43:52 AM »
... and it is back up and running. About 24 hour downtime.
Tele-Pole

Offline SoMDWx

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2019, 10:47:14 AM »
... and it is back up and running. About 24 hour downtime.

Oh yippeee! I thought i was going to be forced to put all my equipment on eBay for sale....
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 11:16:36 AM by SoMDWx »

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2019, 11:53:57 AM »
Well, not 100%. Whatever “testing” Gladstone does, is not working on the wind. My three stations and a few others I reviewed when you click on “quality control graphs for CW...(your station)” you go to a page where your station results are evaluated. The wind at least on my station gets the following message:”sensor fails the following checks: L3 spatial consistency”. Something is wrong and it is not my pws!
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2019, 12:04:06 PM »
When I chatted with Philip he said wind data coming from MADIS was messed up. This is a recent occurrence that started a couple weeks ago. He will have to dig in and see what he can do. He said he might disable wind in the short-term. So yes wind analysis is not working at this time.
Tele-Pole

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
When I chatted with Philip he said wind data coming from MADIS was messed up. This is a recent occurrence that started a couple weeks ago. He will have to dig in and see what he can do. He said he might disable wind in the short-term. So yes wind analysis is not working at this time.

This issue is now more than 5 months old. Any chance of a solution?
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster

I agree. There was some initial cooperation after I reached out to the key individuals. Both sides were talking to each other. Then things just got dropped. Lack of follow through. I'll dig through and find the old email chain and see if I can spark up the interest in getting this resolved. I'll have to craft some plea without being insulting. I really wished that this would have been something that was handled proactively.
Tele-Pole

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground

I agree. There was some initial cooperation after I reached out to the key individuals. Both sides were talking to each other. Then things just got dropped. Lack of follow through. I'll dig through and find the old email chain and see if I can spark up the interest in getting this resolved. I'll have to craft some plea without being insulting. I really wished that this would have been something that was handled proactively.

Unfortunately, this is typical of CWOP these days. Its website is horribly out of date with numerous deadlinks and a very useful tool, a link to the email address of the pws owner, hasn’t worked in months (years?) either. Since the retirement of Russ Chadwick from NOAA a few years back, CWOP has fallen in quality, prestige, and reliability and no one at NOAA seems to care. Not sure where Phil Gladstone fits into this problem—he has been extremely helpful over the years. The entire CWOP concept was great in its time, but currently it is in disrepair, a real shame to say the least. What used to be a great tool is now in the same category as Weather Underground, and sadly, that is not a compliment. I get the impression that CWOP (a combination of wxqa, findU, NOAA, MADIS, etc.) currently operates without a captain or in charge person.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 11:30:17 PM by WheatonRon »

Offline danoh

• AmbientCWOP.com
  • Contributor
    • AmbientCWOP
been down all day today and still is, again.
Ambient Weather station CWOP connector: AmbientCWOP.com

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Glad it's back.
Tele-Pole

Offline dasman

• Forecaster
    • Wx Peotone
My wind data has been screwed up for some time now. It will show my ave wind  speed as 2mph for 7 days and the analysis data will show 44mph??? For years (and now) my wind data has been higher than the analysis data, now its 42mph less😆. Ive emailed phillip a few times but no response. CW7762
Dave Sommerfed
Peotone Illinois USA
CW7762, KILPEOT1
NWS COOP, CoCoRaHS, Spotter Network

anything