Author Topic: lighting strikes: electromagnetic pulse  (Read 515 times)

Offline funsutton

• Contributor
    • Weather Underground
lighting strikes: electromagnetic pulse
« on: July 20, 2020, 11:09:38 PM »
Ambient describes how their lighting detector works in this way:

Personal lightning detectors work by detecting the electromagnetic pulse (EMP) emitted by a lightning strike. By measuring the strength of the detected EMP, the device can then estimate how far away the detected strike was.

So my question is this: Are all emitted electromagnetic pulses in the same area the same intensity? For example, if my lightning detector picks up a strike that is 5 miles away from my house to the east, where a small storm cell is located, are all the electromagnetic pulses emitted by lighting strikes in that small cell going to be the same intensity, so that they all register as 5 miles away? Or could some some of them be weaker so that the lighting detector thinks they are 12 miles away? Or the inverse, that some could be stronger so that the detector would think they are 2 miles away?

Just trying to understand how all of this works.

Offline Storm017

• Senior Contributor
Re: lighting strikes: electromagnetic pulse
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2020, 11:32:33 PM »
If it is based off the AS3935 chip, download the AS3935 datasheet. https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/588/ams_AS3935_Datasheet_EN_v5-1214568.pdf

Offline K2GW

• Former Navigator; Amateur Radio; Skywarn Spotter
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2020, 11:58:05 PM »
Cool.  It looks like that chip displays a distance to the leading edge of the storm, essentially the closest strike.  Thanks

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2020, 08:37:16 AM »
Ambient describes how their lighting detector works in this way:

Personal lightning detectors work by detecting the electromagnetic pulse (EMP) emitted by a lightning strike. By measuring the strength of the detected EMP, the device can then estimate how far away the detected strike was.

So my question is this: Are all emitted electromagnetic pulses in the same area the same intensity? For example, if my lightning detector picks up a strike that is 5 miles away from my house to the east, where a small storm cell is located, are all the electromagnetic pulses emitted by lighting strikes in that small cell going to be the same intensity, so that they all register as 5 miles away? Or could some some of them be weaker so that the lighting detector thinks they are 12 miles away? Or the inverse, that some could be stronger so that the detector would think they are 2 miles away?

Just trying to understand how all of this works.

Some strike data includes the estimated current of the discharge. Some are many tens of kA, others on the lower end. CG vs. CC (Cloud-Ground, or Cloud-Cloud) have different characteristics as well. The short answer is "no" they are not all the same intensity. In my opinion this is a fundamental problem with single-point lightning detectors such as the AS3935 and Boltek. I only trust TOA/TOGA based on multiple networked detectors. I participate in Blitzortung, and host a sensor for TOA Systems.

Dr. Uman has published some good books on lightning. This one might be a good place to start: https://www.amazon.com/All-About-Lightning-Martin-Uman/dp/048625237X There are a number of books on the subject by Dr. Uman and others.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline funsutton

• Contributor
    • Weather Underground
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2020, 10:59:19 PM »
Some strike data includes the estimated current of the discharge. Some are many tens of kA, others on the lower end. CG vs. CC (Cloud-Ground, or Cloud-Cloud) have different characteristics as well. The short answer is "no" they are not all the same intensity. In my opinion this is a fundamental problem with single-point lightning detectors such as the AS3935 and Boltek. I only trust TOA/TOGA based on multiple networked detectors. I participate in Blitzortung, and host a sensor for TOA Systems.

Dr. Uman has published some good books on lightning. This one might be a good place to start: https://www.amazon.com/All-About-Lightning-Martin-Uman/dp/048625237X There are a number of books on the subject by Dr. Uman and others.

Greg H.

Thanks for the info. I had a suspicion they were all different.

I'll take the location data with a grain of salt.