Author Topic: Speaking of "misc. debris..."  (Read 289 times)

Offline xykotik

• DonkeyTailWX DW6891
  • Forecaster
  • I'll deal with it tomorrow
    • DonkeyTail Weather
Speaking of "misc. debris..."
« on: June 28, 2011, 10:16:00 AM »
Has anyone heard more about the duck-and-cover exercise on the ISS?  I only see a couple of paragraphs on the news sites, but I know there are plenty of devoted spaceys here that know better sources.

I have always found it fascinating that they can track all of the specks of junk, yet they still call the piece in question today "unidentified."  Although, this screen-cap of physorg.com seems to identify the junk early in the story.

Facit solem suum oriri super bonos et malos et pluit super iustos et iniustos.

Springtime in Seattle...  March comes in like a lion and out like a wet lion.

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
Re: Speaking of "misc. debris..."
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 03:07:14 PM »
    That article pretty much sums it up.  They can either change the orbit an maneuver out of the way.  I saw on NASA TV once that the astronauts and cosmonauts went into one of the modules that has the heaviest shielding.  And they can get into the Soyuz and abandon ship so to speak.  That has to be something always on their minds with so many small pieces of junk flying around at very high speeds.  A small bolt hitting the station that is moving at 17,000 mph could cause catastrophic damage.  And the risk is just growing and growing.
     Mark
ADDED:  This pic of two ISS crew members looking over the emergency manual.  It looks pretty big and I think it says Vol 2 on the cover.   :lol:
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 03:12:57 PM by Downlinerz2 »

Offline IMADreamer

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 03:18:54 PM »
Holy cow that's a big book!  I suppose being in space your emergency manual would be quite large though. 
Hello my name is Jason, I am a Meteorologist, farmer, and auto journalist.
www.infinite-garage.com

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 03:23:00 PM »
     When I wrote my earlier reply I did not realize that this had happened today! :shock: :oops:  They had to spend much of the day in the 2 Soyuz capsules docked to the station.  Thanks for posting that xykotic!!!  I have not heard anything about it on the news.
    Mark

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 07:03:03 PM »

ADDED:  This pic of two ISS crew members looking over the emergency manual.  It looks pretty big and I think it says Vol 2 on the cover.   :lol:

And the guy on the left looks like he's wondering, "I wonder if he realizes that none of this will really matter..."

Pat ~ Davis VP2 6153-Weatherlink-Weather Display-StartWatch-VirtualVP-Win7 Pro-64bit
www.LasCruces-Weather.com   www.EastMesaWeather.com

Offline d_l

• Forecaster
  • Slide Mtn - Mt Rose
    • Thomas Creek Estates neighborhood weather
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 07:15:59 PM »
There is orbital space junk and then there is real space junk.  I realize this junk was well above the ISS orbit, but someday, a pile of gravel flying in formation might make it down to the station's orbit.
--Dave--

Wireless VP2 w/ solar, 24hr FARS, Heater, (Envoy-WLIP)*3-Meteohub, plus custom VP2 @ 26', WL 6.0.4, WU & W4U=KNVRENO37 NetcamXL

People always talk about the weather, but they never do anything about it.  Not me.  I'm gonna measure it.  https://www.tceweather.com

Offline xykotik

• DonkeyTailWX DW6891
  • Forecaster
  • I'll deal with it tomorrow
    • DonkeyTail Weather
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 11:27:40 PM »
This pic of two ISS crew members looking over the emergency manual.  It looks pretty big and I think it says Vol 2 on the cover.   

That immediately had me remembering the movie "2001" and humming Strauss.

"ZERO GRAVITY TOILET"
"PASSENGERS ARE ADVISED TO READ INSTRUCTIONS BEFORE USE"

Facit solem suum oriri super bonos et malos et pluit super iustos et iniustos.

Springtime in Seattle...  March comes in like a lion and out like a wet lion.

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2011, 09:03:20 AM »
There is orbital space junk and then there is real space junk.  I realize this junk was well above the ISS orbit, but someday, a pile of gravel flying in formation might make it down to the station's orbit.
    Last night I watched the replay of the news conference of the Shuttle/ISS Mission team (or some such thing) and they said that this "unknown" piece of junk passes the ISS at 350 meters (it was in the 300's I am foggy this AM), and that was the closest they have had.
    Mark

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2011, 09:25:02 AM »
... or closest that they're aware of. :-|

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2011, 10:52:22 PM »