Author Topic: Computer Crash & CWOP no longer works  (Read 1804 times)

Offline Sundancer268

Computer Crash & CWOP no longer works
« on: November 13, 2020, 02:09:55 PM »
I had to do a clean install of Windows 10 Pro Tuesday and I re-installed my WeatherLink 6.05 and Virtual Weather Station V15P05 Software back to the same directories on my "D" drive which I reconnected after windows was installed and updated.  Today I got an Email saying my Station CW3642 was no longer active.  I have checked VWSaprs in Task Manager and it is running.  Where do I go from here?  Any recommendations on replacing VWS?  I don't want annual subscriptions ar having to do any command line work, I just want the information displayed on my computer and send up to the internet.  Thanks, Ed

Offline tweatherman

• Forecaster
Re: Computer Crash & CWOP no longer works
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2020, 08:15:35 AM »
Hello Ed,
This is Tim From East Jordan. Your data is being uploaded through APRS/CWOP. I see this via placefile on my GRLevel3.

Take Care,
tweatherman
« Last Edit: November 14, 2020, 08:19:58 AM by tweatherman »

Offline Sundancer268

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2020, 09:01:33 AM »
I just checked the link "https://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/wxpage.cgi?call=CW3642&last=240" and it says I haven't updated in over 19 hours.  I just rebooted the computer, and will keep checking on the site.  What site are you seeing my station on?  Thanks, Ed

Offline FW8379

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2020, 09:27:24 AM »
I also see that no data is being received by findU for your station right now. https://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/rawwx.cgi?call=CW3642
I think this is the first step to getting your data to CWOP.

Once data is being sent to findU, an email may need to be sent to cwop-support@noaa.gov. It looks like your station is INACTIVE in CWOP. (I searched for your station here> http://www.wxqa.com/search.htm).

But first we need to get your data showing up on findU. I don't feel like I can really help much there, but hopefully someone else on the forum will. ?

Offline Sundancer268

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2020, 10:55:15 AM »
findU is the issue and I am at a loss.  I think I am seriously going to consider another Weather Program instead of Virtual Weather Station, just not sure which way to go yet.  I don't trust Ambient to continue supporting their programs as they abandoned VWS which is a shame as I really liked it.

Offline FW8379

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2020, 11:09:20 AM »
The reason I feel like I can't help with getting your data to findU is because I am unfamiliar with the software you are using. Sorry about that.
When you say findU is the issue, do you mean getting your software to send data to findU is the issue? Are you able to report to other sites like Weather Underground successfully?

(Personal experience>> I have an Ambient station uploading to Ambientweather.net and to CWOP using AmbientCWOP.com and find both to be reliable.)

Offline FW8379

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2020, 11:39:20 AM »
Other than the 2 packets of raw data sent yesterday, it looks like nothing has been received by findU for the last 375 days...does this sound correct? screenshot attached

Offline tweatherman

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2020, 11:43:42 AM »
Ed,
Here's one of the sites your data is being uploaded to.
https://www.wrh.noaa.gov/map/

tweatherman

Offline tweatherman

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2020, 11:44:51 AM »
Ed,
Would be happy to visit you again to try and figure this out if you'd like?

tweatherman

Offline FW8379

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2020, 12:05:51 PM »
tweatherman,
That is a super offer of you!

Something seems wrong for sure. I don't see his station on your NWS site link there near Charlevoix. Are you seeing it? Doesn't NWS get our data from MADIS/CWOP?

At any rate, I'll step out of the conversation for now.

Offline tweatherman

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2020, 12:08:53 PM »
His station is 4 MI SSE of Charlevoix near Ironton. Yes NWS gets data from these sources.

tweatherman

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2020, 12:14:00 PM »
I think I am seriously going to consider another Weather Program instead of Virtual Weather Station, just not sure which way to go yet.  I don't trust Ambient to continue supporting their programs as they abandoned VWS which is a shame as I really liked it.

I would highly recommend you do find another means for uploading. Both Weatherlink for Windows and Ambient's Virtual Weather Station software are no longer supported. I would though not fault either Davis nor Ambient for the decision to no longer maintain development of these software. Both companies have developed new solutions to keep up with the current trend in using cloud services instead of locally running applications on a computer. Therefore I think it is unwarranted to say that you don't trust Ambient (nor Davis for that matter). Leveraging the new cloud services though may require you to invest in new hardware for your station. Think of it as an investment in an upgrade, like paying for a hardware upgrade instead of having to pay for a software upgrade. The end result is what matters. The cloud services have different tiers with Davis and if you choose to go with Ambient's cloud service then that is free (after you invest in the new hardware).

Therefore going forward there are many options for you to consider....because you are not limited to what Davis and Ambient have to offer. There are also 3rd party hardware/software options to consider. If you are interested in exploring some of the available options let us know.

The first place to start is to let us know what logger you are currently using. Is it a Weatherlink IP, Weatherlink USB, or Weatherlink Serial or something else.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2020, 12:23:31 PM »
tweatherman,
CW3642 is not showing up on the NOAA NWS map. None of these stations are CW3642:

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

CW3642 does show up on aprs.fi but this is only there as a stale station that only momentarily uploaded data a few days ago.

When you look at the Raw data from FindU you can see that the data upload was only brief:
http://findu.com/cgi-bin/raw.cgi?call=CW3642

Also the station is not registered with MADIS ...shows inactive as the status:
http://wxqa.com/sss/search1.cgi?keyword=CW3642
Tele-Pole

Offline tweatherman

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2020, 12:28:40 PM »
galfert,
His station is showing up on the top attachment. His station is by Lake Charlevoix. Station shows 40F and winds SE 13 mph.

tweatherman
« Last Edit: November 14, 2020, 12:31:04 PM by tweatherman »

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2020, 07:41:59 PM »
galfert,
His station is showing up on the top attachment. His station is by Lake Charlevoix. Station shows 40F and winds SE 13 mph.

tweatherman

Nope, That is D7501/DW7501

Tele-Pole

Offline tweatherman

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2020, 07:46:01 PM »
I’m sorry but that’s his station. I’ve been there before at his place.

tweatherman

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2020, 07:52:00 PM »
Well OP says that their station is CW3642 not DW7501.
Tele-Pole

Offline tweatherman

• Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2020, 07:57:28 PM »
Sorry my bad it’s a different location close by.

tweatherman

Offline FW8379

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2020, 08:00:27 PM »
Something I noticed earlier today on the APRS Direct site - but didn't have time to post until now - was the blue WX icon but with 2 stations at the same location. One was CW3642 and the other was CE3642.
I looked and there is a small amount of data on findU for both (at same location):
http://findu.com/cgi-bin/raw.cgi?call=CW3642   (1 packet)
http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/raw.cgi?call=CE3642 (22 minutes)

Offline Sundancer268

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2020, 08:12:20 PM »
My station is out on Barnard Road, there was another station about 1/4 to 1/2 mile from mine, I don't know if it is still in operation and I don't know what the station was designated.  Mine is a Davis VP2 with the serial logger connected to my computer.  I did down load a program for a 30 day trial and I do think that it did connect to CWOP while I had it running.  I am willing to purchase a new program, what I am not willing to do is get a Subscription service, I want to own my system.  There are a couple of other programs I want to look at though I am having a hard time getting use to the display and setting them up.  One Program I tried would not go full screen on the monitor so I removed it and will continue the search.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2020, 08:18:16 PM »
From the data it looks like you tried Weather-Display. If that did not go full screen it is only a matter of playing with some settings as it is possible for Weather-Display to go full screen. Weather-Display is a well regarded software and has much support. I recommend visiting the following board to get more help with Weather-Display.
https://www.weather-watch.com/

Tele-Pole

Offline Sundancer268

« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2020, 08:23:24 PM »
Weather Display is the one I am currently looking at and was not the one having the full screen issue.  Weather View was the display issue program.  Cumulus MX is another program I am going to look at probably tomorrow. 

Offline tweatherman

• Forecaster
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2020, 08:26:57 PM »
Cumulus MX is a nice program but currently not using it.

tweatherman

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2020, 08:30:23 PM »
Yep, saw your data with Weather-Display. I've never heard of Weather View. Cumulus MX is another fine software.
Tele-Pole

Offline FW8379

« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2020, 09:04:08 PM »
Sounds like you'll be getting new software to send your data.

I searched aprsdirect.com for both CW3642 and CE3642 and they both show up in the same spot. The screenshot was taken after I clicked on the "WX icon" and the two stations are tied together.
I imagine it doesn't help troubleshoot or even matter at this point. I guess I just wanted to be sure I wasn't seeing things earlier today.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2020, 09:08:50 PM by FW8379 »