Author Topic: Custom Weather Stations with Arduino  (Read 5058 times)

Offline Harley

Custom Weather Stations with Arduino
« on: August 10, 2013, 01:43:03 PM »
Hi, returning member to the forum here (its been a few years).

After my cheapie Watson weather station failed last year I set about finally making my own from numerous parts I have gathered. I started out with a good enclosure that I fitted a Davis-like wind sensor arm to and bolted my Arduino with a cellular and LCD shield inside to process sensor information. Currently I have this mounted on a pole with a solar panel sending wind data via the cellular network to twitter. In the UK/Ireland it is free to send SMS to Twitter on most networks! I've now also got a Rainwise rain gauge and eventually I hope to purchase a DHT11 Humidity/Temperature sensor to cover most of the basics.

Overall the station is working great but I am now beginning to consider my options for logging and distribution of data. I'm wondering what my options are for software packages that will accept text file/web input for data? I am good with code so ripping the data from the station's twitter feed will not be an issue but it hasn't been easy to figure out wether software like Weather Display or Cumulus allow for this style of input and what basic values they need.

Anyone ever done anything like this or know of any similar projects (apart from the obvious ones on google that don't interface with Weather Display, etc.)?

Offline Skywatch

• !!Warning!! I'm a Skywarn certified storm spotter and insane like one!
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
Re: Custom Weather Stations with Arduino
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2013, 11:30:46 PM »
Looks and sounds like a Spectrum Technologies Watch Dog station. Sounds like a good setup.
I live in an apartment and for the moment am not a home weather watcher.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline aweatherguy

• Senior Contributor
    • Weather Station Data Logger
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 01:40:34 AM »
The Weather Station Data Logger (WDSL) program can accept "generic" inputs from an Arduino -- actually it can accept inputs from anything that looks like a COM port. This might work quite well with your project. If you're interested, post back and I'll provide you a pointer to more information.

Offline Harley

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 07:27:05 PM »
The Weather Station Data Logger (WDSL) program can accept "generic" inputs from an Arduino -- actually it can accept inputs from anything that looks like a COM port. This might work quite well with your project. If you're interested, post back and I'll provide you a pointer to more information.

I've been looking into WDSL, wview and a number of others. Right now I have the station sending data via SMS to Twitter (its free to do so here) and I have a PHP script logging the tweets to a text file. What I'm ideally looking for is software that can read in from a text/csv file at an interval I specify, even better a text file online. All I really want from the software is CWOP + WeatherUnderground updates.

My current issue is that its looking like Im gonna have to re-format my updates into a VWS or Easy Weather file. The idea behind this thread was so that I can work out if this is the best/worst option and what other people have been doing. I am aware of the Dream Machine project by wxtech but he has yet to discuss how he will integrate with software.

Offline aweatherguy

• Senior Contributor
    • Weather Station Data Logger
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2013, 01:39:07 AM »
Well, if all you are trying to do is get the data to CWOP/etc then you might be better off writing your own little program to do that. Can you do any programming? That's a pretty simple task for someone with experience in .NET for example. The WSDL source code is publicly available and I could point you to examples of internet uploads.

Offline loczek111

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2020, 06:01:55 PM »
I encourage you to read website www.simplyclime.pl. Enables connection of the weather station with the mobile application.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2020, 06:08:36 PM »
I imagine folks have moved on...this thread is over 6 years old.

Offline loczek111

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2020, 07:38:21 AM »
I am aware of this but maybe someone is still looking for such a solution through the Google search engine. This post is for such people.

Offline Dyacon.com

• Eugene
    • Dyacon
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2020, 03:23:25 PM »
loczek111,

Are you involved with the SimpleClime project?

It looks like it is just getting started.

Is this an open platform being developed by Ecowitt?

Eugene
Eugene
Product Engineer
Dyacon.com

anything