Author Topic: subnet issue  (Read 686 times)

Offline rhodesengr

subnet issue
« on: January 29, 2022, 10:02:53 PM »
I have my WFL working in a Vantage Pro2 but I had some trouble with the router setup. The current location at my house in California is only temporary as I will be taking the system down to my condo in Mexico in a few weeks. At that time, I will have to change the router connection and I want to see if there is a better way than what I did.

Here is the issue. When you go into setup mode, the setup page is at 192.168.4.1. However, the xfinity router in my house is on a totally different subnet 10.0.#.#
So when the WFL grabs on IP from my router, the setup page disappears because my laptop is on the WFL wifi on 192.186 while the WFL has changed to 10.0. To figure out what IP it was on after connecting to the router, I had to log in to my router admin page, find WFL in the connected devices list, and read the IP from my router. I am not sure if I will be able to get into the router like that at the condo building. Is there another way to see what IP the WFL gets if it switches from 192.168 to a different subnet? Maybe the routers down there are on 192.186, but maybe not. If I can't get into the router admin site, I will never know how to access the WFL.

Hope this makes sense.

Something else I wasn't clear about: If I make changes to the wifi or data export, do I have to restart the WFL for those changes to take effect? Or, do they change just when I hit "save" on the setup screen.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
Re: subnet issue
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2022, 04:41:47 AM »
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2022, 07:38:52 AM »
 One thing I did with mine is to set an IP address in the WiFi Logger. That way I can always find it. A fixed IP address eliminates the guessing game. I have had to change modems multiple times due to an ongoing problem with CenturyLink DSL. With a fixed IP in the WiFi Logger I always know it is at 192.168.0.20. While you can reserve IP's at the modem I find it easier to set the device to it. I have done the same with my weather computer and one printer.

One time (during troubleshooting my CenturyLink problems) I decided to change my network to 182.168.100.xx . I went to each device and changed its 192.168.0.xx to 192.168.100.xx and then changed out the modem and set the new one to 192.168.100.xx range. Everything came up working immediately. So much easier. What it comes down to is no matter the IP range I know my logger's address will always end in 20, the weather computer is set at 5 and the printer is at 10.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2022, 07:42:35 AM by Garth Bock »

Offline Jasiu

• Forecaster
    • LexMAWeather
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2022, 07:42:15 AM »
There are phone apps that will scan the network and report all devices that answer its queries. So as long as the WFL answers, it would show up. I use one called Net Analyzer (iOS).
https://lexmaweather.info
On Mastodon: @LexMAWeather@toot.community

Offline rhodesengr

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2022, 11:48:49 AM »
Can you change the access point IP? Start with the 192.162.4.1 and then change to something within the local subnet so the screen doesn't disappear?

Offline rhodesengr

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2022, 12:27:11 PM »
and what is a good network scanner for Android? Windows? I want to have those set up as back up.

Offline Daali

• weather n00b
  • Senior Contributor
    • The weather in Jefferson, GA
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2022, 01:47:08 PM »
Fing works very well

Windows Angry IP Scanner is free and does the job

Offline rhodesengr

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2022, 05:33:57 PM »
Thanks. Fing works well. I tried Angry IP and while it sees the connection, it doesn't find the device name while Fing did come up with a reconizable name.

anything