Author Topic: Updating firmware on Ant Amp PCB 12  (Read 1111 times)

Offline va3mw

Updating firmware on Ant Amp PCB 12
« on: May 23, 2015, 09:01:27 AM »
Simple question

What tool do we use to update the firmware on the Red Antenna Amplifier for the ATMega 8?

If it was in the manual, I missed it.

Mike

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
Re: Updating firmware on Ant Amp PCB 12
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2015, 09:40:13 AM »
I don't know about that... it shouldn't require anything, far as I know...
system firmware should be all that's necessary... ???  :-k
http://www.blitzortung.org/Documents/TOA_Blitzortung_RED.pdf?
Page 66
Get the utility application here: http://www.st.com/web/en/catalog/tools/PF258168
make sure you follow the instructions for flashing...
Firmware updates are here:
http://tracker.blitzortung.org/red/

Cheers!
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 09:42:26 AM by Cutty Sark Sailor »

Offline dfroula

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2015, 11:13:49 AM »
You need to pull the Atmega chip from the socket on the amplifier board and use an external programmer. However, there is no advantage to upgrading the firmware from that which came with the amp. Newer firmware was released for the newer amplifiers (like the E-Field) so the same firmware image could be used with all amp types.

The Atmega just takes the gain set instructions sent by the controller and translates them to instructions the programmable op amps can understand. It also allows manual control via the pot.

Tobi or Egon addressed this in a post on the BO board some time back, though I can't seem to locate the thread.

There is no harm in updating the firmware, however. I think the Atmega firmware was removed from the BO site. I believe I have copies of the latest and older versions, if needed.

Best,

Don F.
WD9DMP

Offline dfroula

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2015, 11:33:18 AM »
The latest .hex file is downloadable (but not visible) from the BO site here:

http://www.blitzortung.org/Documents/Firmware_1.8.hex

I'm pretty sure that's the latest and compatible with all Red amplifier boards and versions, including the E-Field.

Don F.
WD9DMP

Offline va3mw

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2015, 05:26:15 PM »
Thanks

I do have an ATMEGA programmer, so I can address that later.

Can you still buy an e Field amplifier?

Mike

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2015, 06:00:36 PM »
No, ... Red Assemblies are NLA.... BTW... Blue will likely NOT use ATMEGA.... there is a design upgrade, using the best of the REDs and Greens, plus new innovations...  :twisted:

Are you building this system off the shelf, or did you get an authorized kit?

If you got the kit, you should need do nothing to ATMEGA... the system firmware should take care of it.  Don's correct, they're using 1.8 as far as I know... at least for testing purposes.  At least one operator's installed an 'off the shelf' ATMEGA because of defect in original, with no issues whatever.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 06:08:18 PM by Cutty Sark Sailor »

Offline dfroula

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2015, 08:58:46 AM »
If you are programming your own Atmega, you need to know the correct fuse settings in addition to having the firmware image. There is a thread on the BO main site detailing what is required. There are also a few hardware variations of the Atmega chip. One operator ran into issues using a variation. I believe Tobi recompiled the code for the guy.

The BO controller firmware does not download any code to the BO amp. It does know the version of the amp board so it can send the Atmega proper gain set instructions for the devices and number of channels on the version of the amp that the controller detects. If you plugged in the Atmega from an original Red H-field amp into a later E-field amp, it would not work. If you plugged an Atmega from a later E-field amp into any H-field amp, it should work as later firmware revs were compatible with all released Red amp boards to that point.

Best,

Don F.
WD9DMP
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 09:02:37 AM by dfroula »