Author Topic: WH2900 issues connecting to wunderground  (Read 2951 times)

Offline Gareth Gray

WH2900 issues connecting to wunderground
« on: April 26, 2020, 06:18:06 PM »
Hello,

Im a first time user, techy enough to be led through how to get this weather station working though.

My father has purchased a weather station that is a model WH2900 (written on the back of it). It doesn't appear to have a make which is a little odd. It appears almost identical to a WS2900 kind like the link below.

https://www.electronicworld.co.nz/shop/weather-station/Professional+Complete+Weather+Stations/WS2900C-PRO+TESA+Prof+7+Inch+Colour+WIFI+Weather+Station/x_sku/WS2900C-PRO.html

The only issue is getting it to send data to the wunderground and/or weathercloud or other databases.  We are certain the device is connected to the wifi so it is very close to working.

1) Problems with an old version of the manual and the WSView App, which seemed out of date, may have affected the initial connections. We are now using WSTool to connect and set up the device.

Is that the correct/best tool to use to achieve this? There appears to be an issue with the wizard in the App which won't accept our password. Can we simply use a PC config tool instead of this App or another mobile App?

What is the most up to date manual for this?

Does anyone know if this weather station been upgraded to another firmware version?

2) The WH2900 is not a selectable model from the wunderground web site either. I'm now attempting to use 'WS 2900' or 'WS 2900 series' options as they also make the WSTool option appear with them, so that makes some sense.

What advice do you have for the above questions?

Thanks
Gareth

Offline Waimarie

• Senior Contributor
Re: WH2900 issues connecting to wunderground
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2020, 08:15:35 PM »
Hi Gareth. 

You station is made by Fine Offset (not shown on WU so select other) and sold under many different brands.  I have the same station branded as MiSol.  Another brand to look at for accessories is Ecowitt.  They sell a huge range of sensors you can add to your station (But you will need a GW1000 to receive the data as the console you have will only show the data from what you have now). 

you can download the manual here http://www.ecowitt.com/upfile/201903/WH2910C%20Manual%20-%20PDF.pdf  (note it shows the bi-arm station instead of the tri-arm, but the instructions are still valid)
and look at the other stuff here http://www.ecowitt.com/

The latest version of WS View is 1.1.38   It should update automatically.  The firmware for the station is not upgradable as far as I know.

My advice is to stick to WS View and follow the steps.  It's pretty simple

Happy to help if I can

Ian
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 08:29:28 PM by Waimarie »
Fine Offset WH3081 (Deceased)
Mi-Sol  WH2900C
Ecowitt HP2553
Ecowitt GW 1000 915MHz
Ecowitt GW 1000 433MHz
Ecowitt WH31
Ecowitt WH51
Ecowitt WH57
WU: IFEATH6
WOW: 910486001

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2020, 08:46:50 PM »
Unfortunately there is no sure way to tell you if you should be using WS Tool or WS View.  This is because WS View is only for newer versions of the very same station console. Only one or the other will work. I think it best to start with WS View but don't give up on it too easily, because even for station that really do use WS View there are a lot of details that have to be just right or the WiFi pairing will not work.

If you believe that you have configured the station console on your WiFi network then you should be able to check your router's DHCP leases and see that the MAC address for your station is listed with the IP address that the router assigned it. If WS View is working you should also be able to see the station console under Menu / Device List. Then with the IP address of the console go to a computer and ping it. In Windows CMD prompt you type: ping 192.168.1.131 or whatever the IP address is that you saw. On a Mac open Terminal application under Applications / Utilities and do the same ping command. If you get a ping response then the console is on the network.

As for getting the station on WU and all the other weather services I recommend first creating the station accounts on a computer and then after you have the credentials you enter them using the WS View app (or WS Tool if that is the one that works for your model.)

As for upgrading the station console firmware this is done by the WS View (or WS Tool) app. If there is a firmware update then it will show you that as an option to perform. But the station must be online and connected with the app as this can't be done offline.

There is also the possibility that you have a station console that does not have WiFi. There does exist an identical console without the WiFi capabilities. For example the Ambient WS-1900 is such a thing even though it looks identical to those other consoles that can connect to the Internet. Just something to keep in mind if nothing you do gets you online. If this is the case you can go to Ecowitt and purchase the display console only with WiFi capability and then use the new display to get online and you can still keep the old display as just a secondary display for perhaps a different room just to see the live sensors.

For further troubleshooting if your station is not connected to WiFi yet then I recommend these tips:
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=38911.msg400102#msg400102
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 09:04:50 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline Waimarie

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2020, 08:51:53 PM »

As for upgrading the station console firmware this is done by the WS View (or WS Tool) app. If there is a firmware update then it will show you that as an option to perform.

Interesting.  I never knew that #-o
Mi-Sol  WH2900C
Ecowitt HP2553
Ecowitt GW 1000 915MHz
Ecowitt GW 1000 433MHz
Ecowitt WH31
Ecowitt WH51
Ecowitt WH57

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2020, 09:06:54 PM »

As for upgrading the station console firmware this is done by the WS View (or WS Tool) app. If there is a firmware update then it will show you that as an option to perform.

Interesting.  I never knew that #-o

Yep, the process is identical to the HP2551/WS-2000 WiFi firmware upgrade.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline Gareth Gray

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2020, 07:13:02 AM »
Hello All,

Thanks so much for your help. It is now running on Ecowitt and Wunderground.
Selecting 'other' as model for wunderground and 'fine offset wh series' worked for ecowitt.
There was a trailing space on the code that once removed, got wunderground running finally.

WS View worked and WS Tool wouldn't, which was the one we were trying with.

A number of ducks to line up but it's all go now. Dad is very happy.

Cheers
Gareth

Offline Waimarie

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2020, 03:36:45 PM »
Well done! [tup]

Been out for a Big Mac takeaway in celebration yet?  I hear the queues are huge  :lol:
Mi-Sol  WH2900C
Ecowitt HP2553
Ecowitt GW 1000 915MHz
Ecowitt GW 1000 433MHz
Ecowitt WH31
Ecowitt WH51
Ecowitt WH57