Author Topic: Displaying a webcam feed through WeatherFlash?  (Read 7071 times)

Offline p-thomas

Displaying a webcam feed through WeatherFlash?
« on: September 12, 2009, 03:37:40 PM »
Is it possible?
If not, I was thinking about using a transparent background and placing the feed in the background but I'm unsure on how to best code that.

Any suggestion would be very helpful.

Your friend,

Paul Thomas

Offline longmire

• Contributor
  • WD (latest) GRL3_2 WF TWI WR-25e Win10Pro
Re: Displaying a webcam feed through WeatherFlash?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2009, 06:15:06 PM »
You cando it if your web cam captures to a static jpeg file. Within WF you go to setup and insert a graphic imag, then type in the url where the jpg is stored. You can set the size and refresh interval there as well.

Offline p-thomas

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 09:23:20 AM »
I thought about that but the update rate is defined in minutes. Since we need real time, I  tried to enter .015 but that doesn't work as it needs a number.

Still scratching my head...

Offline p-thomas

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 02:44:04 PM »
For achive purposes:

I've discussed the refresh rate for the pictures with WeatherFlash programers and it's an intentional limitation. I really don't like using workarounds, but did so in this case. Since Flash is always the top layer I made it transparent allowing me to display the video through as if it was embedded.

The result: weather.reefradio.com
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 02:46:37 PM by p-thomas »

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 12:04:18 PM »
I use to use a website called Camstreams.com that allows you to stream real-time video. It's very slick, it's free (for personal use), and you can embed video's right on your site.

Offline gsownsby

• ScenicCityWeather.com
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2009, 08:52:50 PM »
Yes, you can display a webcam image (live video or static image) but not with WeatherFlash itself.  WeatherFlash Sales Support advised me to modify the index.htm file to include whatever I wanted but be careful to leave the flash object reference in index.htm alone.

Basically, you edit the index.htm file and insert the webcam image link whereever you like.  It does work.  I have inserted a live video feed from my Panasonic webcam and it looks fine.

WeatherFlash itself is a compiled flash object (.swf) and you have to use it as-is.  The object is referenced in the index.htm which acts as the Home Page for the weather conditions to be displayed.

I should be able to give you a link to my WeatherFlash page in a few days.  My current website is located at:

http://www.sceniccityweather.com (Chattanooga, TN)
VWS/WeatherFlash/WeatherLinkIP/Davis Vantage VUE/LaCrosse WS-2310 TWC/HeavyWeather/Panasonic Webcam/CW5013

Offline gsownsby

• ScenicCityWeather.com
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2009, 07:17:31 PM »
Following up on my previous post...

My work-in-progress WeatherFlash can be seen at:  http://www.sceniccityweather.com

This incorporates a live webcam into WeatherFlashes index.htm file per their directions.  The webcam is only active during daytime hours (Southeast USA).

I edited the index.htm file with Microsoft Frontpage but any other HTML editor should work...just be careful not to zap the flash object (.smf).  There are references to it in the <head> and <body> sections but easy to work around.

Sorry for the BIG RED LETTERS but I have not yet received my key from meteorologica.co.uk.

'Hope this helps.

Gary
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 11:50:41 PM by gsownsby »
VWS/WeatherFlash/WeatherLinkIP/Davis Vantage VUE/LaCrosse WS-2310 TWC/HeavyWeather/Panasonic Webcam/CW5013

Offline Meteorologica

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2009, 02:50:03 AM »
Sorry for the BIG RED LETTERS but I have not yet received my key from meteorologica.co.uk.

That would be because you haven't actually purchased WeatherFlash from us yet! If you purchase from Ambient then it can take a few days as they have to send us the order to process.

Offline gsownsby

• ScenicCityWeather.com
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2009, 07:47:20 AM »
Oops.  Yes, you are correct.  I purchased from Ambient Weather.  Sorry, no criticism intended or implied.  I will have to say the big red letters are annoying though.   :grin:

anything