Author Topic: Feels like temperature  (Read 1429 times)

Offline G.Brown

• Contributor
Feels like temperature
« on: June 24, 2022, 06:06:28 PM »
I have never seen the 'feels like' reading higher than 'ambient' I think it should sometimes?

Offline mcrossley

• Forecaster
    • Wilmslow Astro
Re: Feels like temperature
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2022, 04:08:17 AM »
It depends on what definition of feels like you are using. Some software/stations user that term to refer to wind chill, which will obviously never be higher than the air temperature.
Mark

Offline sky_watcher

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2022, 10:54:53 PM »
I have never seen the 'feels like' reading higher than 'ambient' I think it should sometimes?
There are a variety of schemes for "feels like" temperatures. On this Australian Bureau Of Meteorology web page it discusses a selection of measurements. Perhaps you could check to see if those schemes would give different "feels like" temperatures than you are seeing. I use the BOM methodology when I record the "feels like" temperature into my database, rather than the PWS supplied value, and I have seen the Apparent Temperature being above the air temperature when the humidity is high and the wind is near calm.

Quote from: BOM Web page
The formula for the AT used by the Bureau of Meteorology is an approximations of the value provided by a mathematical model of heat balance in the human body. It can include the effects of temperature, humidity, wind-speed and radiation. Two forms are given, one including radiation and one without. On this site we use the non-radiation version.
“The more a man knows, the more willing he is to learn. The less a man knows, the more positive he is that he knows everything...” ― Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline mcrossley

• Forecaster
    • Wilmslow Astro
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2022, 04:36:18 AM »
Some feels like scales use both heat index and wind chill, and blend the two values in the band between them. If the scale uses heat index or some equivalent then it can certainly be another ambient.

Other scales factor in the solar value as as temperature, wind and humidity.
Mark