Author Topic: Hostgator Server Migration - Slow to Load Web Page  (Read 1216 times)

Offline Ian.

• Forecaster
    • Chatteris Weather
Hostgator Server Migration - Slow to Load Web Page
« on: June 24, 2022, 01:00:59 PM »
Hi All,

I'm with Hostgator on the Baby/Shared package, the host my weather site and Wordpress blog, I understand that they are going through a process of data center server migration and that service can be affected.

I've not been emailed that my service will be out of service, but from Tuesday 21st June, I received an automated message from my weather site that clientraw had flatlined, but every now and again it would come back online, but the home page either doesn't load, loads slowly or give a 503 gateway timeout error.

I use Meteobridge and have resent the FTP, meteobridge says 'success'  but no changes are made to the clientraw file, its as though the host is not accepting/processing some, but not all, transfers, it's all very odd!

What's odd is that the blog loads ok, albite slower than normal and some plugins failed to automatically update which was a first.

I have spoken to Hostgator and they are putting it down to migration.

Q1 - Is anyone else on Hostgator experiencing these problems of a slow site
Q2 - Is their anything I can run which would definitively tell me if its Hostgator or a problem with my site clogging things up.

https://www.chatteris.biz Main weather page
https://www.chatteris.biz/blog Blog page

Thank in advance.
CWOP - DW3371
PWS - ICAMBRID16
https://www.chatteris.biz

Offline Ian.

• Forecaster
    • Chatteris Weather
Re: Hostgator Server Migration - Slow to Load Web Page
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2022, 04:34:51 PM »
Looks like hostgator is settling down, still not 100% though.
CWOP - DW3371
PWS - ICAMBRID16

Offline weatherdoc

• Senior Contributor
    • Willowsford Farm Weather
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2022, 08:02:07 AM »
I like the photo of your rack-mounted hardware setup for your networking on your blog site. Very professional and neat. I finally gave up on commercial hosts for my website after switching a few times and about a year ago started hosting my website on a Synology NAS DiskStation DS220+. The upfront cost is high ($300 USD) for a server fast enough to serve the website efficiently plus two 3TB hard drives ($55 USD each) setup as a RAID but there are no recurring costs and the SSL certificate is free. I was paying IONOS $120 USD per year for their basic package, so if my NAS + drives last 3½ years then I will have recouped my return on the investment! By the way, I've been to Chatteris. I was stationed at RAF Mildenhall 1984-1987 and my wife and I would take day trips around East Anglia most weekends (we lived in Thetford). We often visited Cambridge, Ely, Newmarket and Chatteris.

Offline Ian.

• Forecaster
    • Chatteris Weather
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2022, 12:42:12 PM »
I like the photo of your rack-mounted hardware setup for your networking on your blog site. Very professional and neat. I finally gave up on commercial hosts for my website after switching a few times and about a year ago started hosting my website on a Synology NAS DiskStation DS220+. The upfront cost is high ($300 USD) for a server fast enough to serve the website efficiently plus two 3TB hard drives ($55 USD each) setup as a RAID but there are no recurring costs and the SSL certificate is free. I was paying IONOS $120 USD per year for their basic package, so if my NAS + drives last 3½ years then I will have recouped my return on the investment! By the way, I've been to Chatteris. I was stationed at RAF Mildenhall 1984-1987 and my wife and I would take day trips around East Anglia most weekends (we lived in Thetford). We often visited Cambridge, Ely, Newmarket and Chatteris.

I wish I was tech savvy enough to do as you have done, alas my skill set is to try make panels look presentable :-), fortunately things have settled down, but page loading is still slower than it used to be so I might 'prune' a few thing off the landing page and move them elsewhere to see if that helps.

Its a very nice place and area to live and I'm on asdbexchange a fair bit tracking the military planes flying in and out of Lakenheath and Mildenhall, both quite busy at the moment, as you found, theirs a lot of history and interesting places to visit and watch the world go by, next time your over, pop in for a cup of tea.
CWOP - DW3371
PWS - ICAMBRID16

Offline weatherdoc

• Senior Contributor
    • Willowsford Farm Weather
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2022, 07:46:03 AM »
Well, I'm not all that tech savvy. I had a Synology NAS for a few years mostly for file backup and then explored hosting a website for family photos and videos. Then after issues with IONOS web hosting I thought maybe I could host my weather website but feared it was way more complicated that my simple family website. It turned out to be fairly easy but my old server was too slow, so my wife got me the DiskStation DS220+ for Christmas. Synology has instructions for setting up the web server plus back-end Apache, php, etc. plus the free SSL certificate for https. After doing that I just downloaded all my files from IONOS to the /web folder on the NAS and that was about it. I had update some paths in some of the files and tell WD where to send the data but it really was quite simple. The interface to the NAS is all web-based, so I didn't have to poke around in Linux. Let me know if you ever decide to switch and I can point you to some instructions and give you more details on the set up.

After leaving the UK in 1987, we returned for vacation in 1992, 1999 (with our kids) and 2013 (when my daughter interned in London through Florida State University). In 2017, we went to Exeter because I had several days of meetings at the Met Office. We intended to visit in 2020 including spending a week in Scotland but then COVID hit. Now we're waiting for the airlines to get their act together and stop cancelling so many flights, never mind the backups for passengers at the UK airports! I'll gladly meet for a cup of tea if we're in the Cambridge area when we come back.

I too like to monitor adsbexhange. I live 4 miles west of Dulles in northern Virgina, so when the departure path is over my neighborhood in the evening, I like to sit to my deck and monitor what altitude the heavy's (767, 777, 787, A380) are at when they fly over my house. Usually, they are only about 3000 ft high. Quite the sight. I took the attached photo of the pre-COVID daily A380 Emirates flight in 2019. They retired the 380 and fly a 777 post-COVID.

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2022, 04:15:30 AM »
At least in the US, you run the risk of your ISP terminating your service (cutting you off the web) if you host at home without notifying them and paying a higher rate.

anything