Author Topic: Atlas Roof Mount Positioning  (Read 1007 times)

Offline smb78653

Atlas Roof Mount Positioning
« on: June 21, 2022, 01:04:14 PM »
We have built a new home and I"m struggling with the best placement for my Atlas, when we move in next week. My current unit is on the eve of the second floor elevated just enough to clear the peak and sits about 6" off the eve to it doesn't get reflective heat from the composite shingles (or at least as much).

My new house, is a single story with very high roofline which I'm struggling with. I'd like to mount just above the highest peak about 18 inches high on a roof mount. Unfortunately, it will be in the center of the house so I'm worried about radiated heat but with the fan in the unit I am looking for advise. Is the radiated heat from the roof enough to be concerned with considering the fan, or is there a certain height I can put it above to help without turning it into a lightning rod?

« Last Edit: June 21, 2022, 01:48:24 PM by smb78653 »
HP2560_C
WS68
WN32
WH57
WH40

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
Re: Atlas Roof Mount Positioning
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2022, 03:28:16 PM »
From your own worries, I think you already know the answer. It’s too close for the Atlas fan to handle the radiant heat, and your wind and rain readings will also be terribly affected as well.

It should be mounted at least 10 ft. above the roof line if you must mount it near a roof.
https://www.weatherstationadvisor.com/weather-station-mounting-ideas-and-solutions/

No advice on the lightning concerns.

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline smb78653

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2022, 06:12:40 PM »
Thanks for the reality check. I do remember that the Atlas comes with an extension kit for the anemometer. I am thinking I can make that work. The kit comes with 30' of wire and I'm up to making that longer, mounting the anemometer on the peak of the roof and wiring back to the base. I'll consider and maybe post pictures if I go through with it.
HP2560_C
WS68
WN32
WH57
WH40

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2022, 06:36:41 PM »
A common misconception is that an aspirated shield will fix the woes of a poorly sited PWS. Couldn't be further from the truth. All a fan will do is show the error of the siting with a faster response and more "accurately" than a non-aspirated shield.

Offline smb78653

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2022, 06:48:41 PM »
That is what my mind was telling me. Instead of hotter air, you'll have aspirated hotter air. Thanks.  [tup]
HP2560_C
WS68
WN32
WH57
WH40

anything