Author Topic: How to disable (for as long as possible) Win 10 autoreboot  (Read 2830 times)

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
How to disable (for as long as possible) Win 10 autoreboot
« on: June 15, 2022, 04:25:25 PM »
I got home just after a nice storm had passed through and went to see the rain amount, rate, and all that good stuff.

Much to my chagrin, the computer that records, plots and updates my pages was sitting there resting. It seems that it was told by windows to update and was waiting for me to tell it to begin installation of all the new code, having missed the one big event in some time. 

I know that Microsoft has our best intentions by keeping the code up to date and patching flaws, holes, and spy doors into our systems, but sometimes it is a bit annoying.

I have some instructions from off the internet on how to delay for awhile any of this auto update malarkey, but are there other ways to have Windows not just shut down and leave the weather stuff just sitting?  I can try to use the Microsoft methods of delaying, and making sure I update once a month sort of like turning the calendar pages, but perhaps there are other tricks to keep things running until I tell it to update and refresh on my schedule, perhaps longer than the max allowed for Win 10 Home?
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline BCJKiwi

• Forecaster
    • Silver Acorn Weather - N.Z.
Re: How to disable (for as long as possible) Win 10 autoreboot
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2022, 04:33:27 PM »
Check these links
https://www.easeus.com/todo-backup-resource/how-to-stop-windows-10-from-automatically-update.html

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-stop-updates-installing-automatically-windows-10

They offer ways to stop the update process.
Run an update manually as required.
I use the Group Policy Editor method.

Offline gabba

• Hutt Weather
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2022, 07:45:47 PM »
Yeah - that's annoying!

Think I used the registry method.

You might want to consider the risk it leaves your PC exposed to. You are not going to get any urgent windows updates until you patch it yourself. That may or may not be an issue depending on your use of the Windows PC and any backups you might be taking

What you experienced was one of the main reasons I moved to a Linux (rasperry pi) solution. If you can find yourself a pi, it might be worthwhile considering.

Cheers

Offline box

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2022, 05:25:08 PM »
I got home just after a nice storm had passed through and went to see the rain amount, rate, and all that good stuff.

Much to my chagrin, the computer that records, plots and updates my pages was sitting there resting. It seems that it was told by windows to update and was waiting for me to tell it to begin installation of all the new code, having missed the one big event in some time. 

I know that Microsoft has our best intentions by keeping the code up to date and patching flaws, holes, and spy doors into our systems, but sometimes it is a bit annoying.

I have some instructions from off the internet on how to delay for awhile any of this auto update malarkey, but are there other ways to have Windows not just shut down and leave the weather stuff just sitting?  I can try to use the Microsoft methods of delaying, and making sure I update once a month sort of like turning the calendar pages, but perhaps there are other tricks to keep things running until I tell it to update and refresh on my schedule, perhaps longer than the max allowed for Win 10 Home?
I have found that ensuring the PC  reboots to a local account automatically and runs the software automatically windows updates are not an issue. I usually delay the big updates so I know I will be present just in case but it generally proceeds smoothly

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2022, 05:43:54 PM »
Can you expand on your comment reboots to a local account? 

Do it in 'terms for dummies' as I'm not sure what a local account is or how to set one up.  Thx. Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline box

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2022, 01:56:38 AM »

Do it in 'terms for dummies' as I'm not sure what a local account is or how to set one up.  Thx. Dale

Microsoft are keen on you creating/ using an online account (xxx@outlook.com ,xxx@hotmail.com etc)  as your log in (it permits syncing between devices and programs etc but also allows them to suck data from your activities)  but you can use a local account. You can have many user accounts , and any of them can be local accounts. It's good security to have them as non administrator accounts too

This is an account that only accesses one user account on that particular computer. What is more you can set up your computer to automatically boot into that account, and even have it password protected. Once that is done you can set any program to autostart, I do this for cumulus Mx
Once that is set up every time your computer reboots (for any reason) it will restart with that account and then open any programs in your start folder

So on my pc I have a local account called weather station ;) that the computer boots into and once booted it automatically starts cumulus Mx and opens two Brave browser windows: one for ecowitt weather and the other the cumulus dashboard which I use as a weather display

I suggest you Google local account set up and how to automatically start programs

I am on holiday at the moment but I will post some links in a day or so that I found useful

I am a numpty too!, so I have sorted it out over a period of time at others' suggestions

This arrangement will cope with Microsoft updates, even the large half yearly ones, and also when other programs demand a restart. Of course in the latter case you have to initiate the restart (nothing changes until then anyway so your PC can carry on regardless until you tell it to restart)

It won't cope with power cuts, you need a UPS for that

When the big updates are due I set window updates to be delayed until I am present, just in case but the last two big updates happened just fine, seems to take forever though!

Offline box

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2022, 03:16:46 AM »

Microsoft are keen on you creating/ using an online account (xxx@outlook.com ,xxx@hotmail.com etc)  as your log in (it permits syncing between devices and programs etc but also allows them to suck data from your activities)  but you can use a local account. You can have many user accounts , and any of them can be local accounts. It's good security to have them as non administrator accounts too

This is an account that only accesses one user account on that particular computer. What is more you can set up your computer to automatically boot into that account, and even have it password protected. Once that is done you can set any program to autostart, I do this for cumulus Mx
Once that is set up every time your computer reboots (for any reason) it will restart with that account and then open any programs in your start folder

So on my pc I have a local account called weather station ;) that the computer boots into and once booted it automatically starts cumulus Mx and opens two Brave browser windows: one for ecowitt weather and the other the cumulus dashboard which I use as a weather display

I suggest you Google local account set up and how to automatically start programs

I am on holiday at the moment but I will post some links in a day or so that I found useful

I am a numpty too!, so I have sorted it out over a period of time at others' suggestions

This arrangement will cope with Microsoft updates, even the large half yearly ones, and also when other programs demand a restart. Of course in the latter case you have to initiate the restart (nothing changes until then anyway so your PC can carry on regardless until you tell it to restart)

It won't cope with power cuts, you need a UPS for that

When the big updates are due I set window updates to be delayed until I am present, just in case but the last two big updates happened just fine, seems to take forever though!

Not sure what logging software you use but cumulus Mx can use the ecowitt API to catch up during the period updates are in progress and no logging is going on, so as long as you are still feeding ecowitt's servers you lose no data

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2022, 07:47:02 AM »
Thank you for that explanation.  It sounds as if it is what I need for, at least, the computer(s) that run weather stuff.  I used to know a lot about the configuration of Win but with more complexity and advancing age and multiple  hobbies, haven't been in all the nooks and crannies of it.

I will research it, knowing that 'local account' is a real term used by Microsoft.  I thank you again for not only a nice explanation but also on some of the hazards of having these types of accounts.  I don't have a logging station, but one which just outputs a data sentence every second and WD picks it up by looking at an IP address using cronpakbusnew, so when I'm offline, the data are not being captured.  I'm not as concerned about that as I am just having the system working so I can look at things that happened, such as rain and when, vs. archiving them for perpetuity.
Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php