Author Topic: Hardware Topic  (Read 1418 times)

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
Hardware Topic
« on: May 06, 2022, 08:58:47 PM »
We almost need a Hardware Topic Section. Close enough I guess.

For Canadian Viewers or possibly other retailers who acquired any, these poles are nice and stiff and could hold an anemometer at some height. The joint is very loose slide fit so would need some method to make slop free. I am thinking of a 3D printed tapered insert to wedge it together.......no holes to weaken it.

https://www.princessauto.com/4-ft-army-surplus-fibreglass-tent-pole/product/PA0009039827

Offline vreihen

• El Niņo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
Re: Hardware Topic
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2022, 09:53:22 PM »
How about just using epoxy to permanently join them?????
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline Bashy

• brecklandweather.com/meteo
  • Forecaster
  • brecklandweather.com/index.php
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2022, 11:28:13 PM »
Not sure how high you mean by "some height", i have to assume you mean more than 2, but 43mm aint very thick, to give you an idea, the top of my 10m mast is about that (40mm), the bottom 2 sections cant even take the Ecowitt U-Bolts.

To be fair, i did have my OS anny mounted to 3 fibreglass awning poles but it was flapping about in normal winds, didn't try it with decent winds, the oscillations would have played havoc with any readings. So whilst its doable, i dont recommend a makeshift fibreglass setup unless its a proper telescopic job (far more rigid) and guyed

FYI the Other Weather Station Hardware section would have been ok for this post i think
« Last Edit: May 06, 2022, 11:31:58 PM by Bashy »
Kind regards
Bashy

Offline davidmc36

• Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2022, 01:12:49 AM »
How about just using epoxy to permanently join them?????

Filling the gap with glue would not be ideal as time would rock it loose. A wedge could be designed to self tighten.

And with 1/4 inch wall on these tubes you could do several sections unsupported.

Offline vreihen

• El Niņo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2022, 07:24:55 AM »
Keep in mind that the tubes themselves are constructed of fiberglass fibers, held together by an epoxy resin.  With proper surface prep and a pinch of loose glass fibers mixed into the epoxy as a filler and to add strength, I believe that the results would be stronger than the rest of the tubing.

For $4.99 (Canadian?), I wish that we had a Princess Auto store south of the border here so that I could order a bunch of those poles just to try them.....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline davidmc36

• Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2022, 11:56:21 AM »
My first use will actually be to replace the wobbly one inch, 4 section pole that came with my bird feeder. Will work out the kinks there and have a plan for any future sensor installs.

The goal is to keep it such that a reverse twist will allow it to be taken apart again.