Author Topic: Metar Conditions (Text)  (Read 794 times)

Offline HamiltonNJWX

• HamiltonWx
Metar Conditions (Text)
« on: February 05, 2020, 11:19:03 PM »
Good Evening, All. After being out of the weather world for a few years, I got back into it the other day and switched from Ambient VWS to Weather Display. I love the software and am redoing the webpage. One thing I cant figure out, and I have searched, is my conditions on my main page have the correct Icon from my Metar (as of right now it is showing mostly cloudy). When the page starts to load, the icon comes up with the cloudy icon and says Overcast (correctly) which then disappears after about a second and is replaced with "Dry, Night Time". During the day, I have only seen "Dry, Day Time" (or something to that effect).

(1). Why is the 'Overcast' text being replaced, and, (2) Can it be changed to that text? That overcast text that disappears has come up as "Clear" when the icon (and conditions outside) shows it clear. However, it does revert back to the other condition text after a second or two.

Any Ideas?

Offline Jasiu

• Forecaster
    • LexMAWeather
Re: Metar Conditions (Text)
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2020, 11:09:36 AM »
1) Need the pointer to the web site.

2) The replacement happens due to the javascript code that uses the more recent "real time" data. I'm not familiar with Weather Display, but with meteobridge there is a file called MBrealtime.txt that is used for the source of the real time data.
https://lexmaweather.info
On Mastodon: @LexMAWeather@toot.community

Offline HamiltonNJWX

• HamiltonWx
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2020, 05:24:30 PM »
Thanks. I will need to dig a little deeper after work today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2020, 05:54:52 PM »
With Weather-Display and the Saratoga templates, the icon/conditions come from Weather-Display itself:
1) when the page is first loaded, the data from testtags.php is used.
2) when the ajaxWDwx,js AJAX script fires up, the data from clientraw.txt is used:
48   Current Condition Icon   1 (Clear Night)
49   Weather Desc   Label   Stopped raining/Dusk

Have you set up Weather-Display per https://saratoga-weather.org/wxtemplates/setup-WD.php ?
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline HamiltonNJWX

• HamiltonWx
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2020, 06:11:11 PM »
Good Day/Evening, Ken, and thank you for replying. I have checked, but think I need to check more thoroughly. We are in the middle of quite a good bit of rain, and the last few hours, the Metar reported clear / night. It just changed to Nightime /Moderate drizzle, which is closer than its been in 24 hours. I will rake through the WD setup again. I'm sure its an error on my end as far as set up goes, just must be overlooking it. I was going to change Metars and see if that helps, but will go over settings again.

www.hamiltonwx.com

Offline HamiltonNJWX

• HamiltonWx
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2020, 06:23:56 PM »
The other thing I just noticed is that the conditions at my Metar are not what I am getting on my Conditions Icon and Text.

Offline yamiacaveman

• Forecaster
    • Penn Lake Weather
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2020, 06:52:43 PM »
Hi HamiltonNJWX,

Hey if you find a solution please post back here. I have be fighting this for what seems to be off and on for years.

I just checked mine  -- Dry Night time Icon is dark with snow flakes  -- At the same time the way the crow flies 20 miles a station reports Dry Night Time and the icon is a night time shot of a clear moon.

To tell you the truth Iam not sure which way I have my station set up - I believe you can tick abox to use your stations Metar conditions or the closest reporting NWS Metar station. Even when my station and the station down the road are set to use the NWS metar mine still reports something different - some days its OK, but it's one of those things like arguing with my wife, easier to just give up. lol

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2020, 04:01:28 PM »
The other thing I just noticed is that the conditions at my Metar are not what I am getting on my Conditions Icon and Text.

Weather-Display will (optionally) override current metar conditions with local wind and rain indications .. that's the setup shown in the setup page on my site so it more closely represents the local conditions.  For my site, I use the Solar Sensor output to override the metar conditions during the day, and only use metar conditions at night.  If you don't have a solar sensor, then make sure all the metar override options for current conditions are turned off -- then only the local rain and/or high wind will override what the metar reports.

The only recipe I have for setup was the one I used (with Metar+Solar/daytime).. I suggest you zip and send your WD settings to Brian (via weather-watch.com) and have him take a look to see what might be amiss.
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline HamiltonNJWX

• HamiltonWx
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2020, 04:48:09 PM »
Hey, Ken. I needed to revisit this to see if there is anything I can do. My webpage still is having an issue displaying the text for current conditions properly. I have gone through my WD setup several times making sure it is done correctly. It takes the metar conditions (for example now the metar says Mostly Clear) and it comes up as mostly clear for a second and then changes to 'Dry'. The icon always seems to be correct, but the conditions are always 'dry'. Never partly or mostly cloudy or clear. Any advice?

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2020, 05:47:19 PM »
The 'Dry' appearing after the AJAX script begins updating is due to the contents of clientraw.txt:

48   Current Condition Icon   Icon   0 (Sunny)
49   Weather Desc   Label   Dry

Before that, the PHP Icon/text comes from testtags.php

$iconnumber = '0';                // icon number
   $weathercond = 'Dry';
   $Currentsolardescription = 'clear ';

The $Currentsolardescription comes from the METAR, while the $weathercond is from WD.

In Control Panel, Summary Images & Icons, Icon from Metar TAB:
tick:  Use Downloaded Metar to update icon
tick: Use Extra weather conditions from downloaded Metar
tick: Your station's wind/rain/fog overrides the Metar

I don't know of another setting to use in WD to make clientraw[49) text match the %Currentsolardescription% PHP tag.. that's a question for Brian.

Offline K6GKM

• CamWX.com
  • Contributor
    • CamWX
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2020, 11:16:22 PM »
It took me a bit of trial-and-error to figure out as well.

A few things to check:

1.  Make sure you have a METAR configured & scheduled to download.  In that same tab, there should be a box for "Use this metar for local sky/icon conditions."  Make sure that's ticked.

2.  In the Real Time Client FTP/AJAX/Weather Display Live Setup tab, "Use current weather from metar" should also ticked.

Hope that helps.

-Grant
Grant Miles
Camarillo, CA, USA
Owner/Admin - CamWX.com
SKYWARN Spotter
Station Hardware: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus w/ 24hr FARS
Station Software: Weather Display, Weather Message, FWI Calculator, StartWatch, with social media & messaging automation using Make.com, Twilio, and Brevo.

Offline HamiltonNJWX

• HamiltonWx
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2020, 09:57:37 AM »
Thanks, Ken!  I have sent my files over to Brian and he is looking into it. I will let you know the results!

Offline HamiltonNJWX

• HamiltonWx
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2020, 09:59:26 AM »

Good Morning, Grant!  All the WD programming is correct as far as I know. I went through it all again before getting Brian involved. It does match Ken and your recommendations. 

anything