Author Topic: Rumors about a new VP2 firmware blocking 3rd party dataloggers?  (Read 47143 times)

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
Re: Rumors about a new VP2 firmware blocking 3rd party dataloggers?
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2012, 02:08:33 PM »
oh
so it seems they did not have a system check in place to not allow a firmware update if an old data logger in use?

What John said.

Also:  a new firmware update has not been released by Davis, so we don't know what it will do or check or apply to;

And: all that has been reported, is that old data loggers (of some type) will not work with the latest (new from the factory) (firmware version 3.0) VP2 and Vue consoles.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2012, 02:30:15 PM »
At least be thankful Davis is not automatically pushing FW updates (lie Acurite)
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline garrettwp

Re: Re: Rumors about a new VP2 firmware blocking 3rd party dataloggers?
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2012, 03:58:45 PM »
I just received my vantage vue and tried to use a fdti usb cable to get console access. I can confirm that it is a no go. This is with the 3.00 firmware. I'm kind of disappointed. Was hoping not to spend the money on the usb data logger. I'm in the US by the way.

- Garrett

Offline moehoward4

• Forecaster
  • Jack in SE MA.
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2012, 07:49:53 PM »
I THINK that Davis just shot themselves in the head...just my 2 cents.
3 Davis set-ups...which one ya wanna talk about? And I got ALL my manuals....

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2012, 09:01:20 PM »
I talked to customer service yesterday about my VP2 Pro refurb and she said that they updated the firmware in both my console and the ISS. As far as I'm aware, I was on the latest firmware as offered on their site so it'll be interesting to see the results.

Pat ~ Davis VP2 6153-Weatherlink-Weather Display-StartWatch-VirtualVP-Win7 Pro-64bit
www.LasCruces-Weather.com   www.EastMesaWeather.com

Offline Jim18655

• Contributor
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2012, 09:08:42 AM »
Not sure if I'm understanding all this. I currently have version 1.82 and use the Davis serial logger with a serial to USB converter (FTDI chipset). If I upgrade my firmware will my serial logger stop working? VP2 from August of 2008.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2012, 09:18:25 AM »
Not sure if I'm understanding all this. I currently have version 1.82 and use the Davis serial logger with a serial to USB converter (FTDI chipset). If I upgrade my firmware will my serial logger stop working? VP2 from August of 2008.

The answer is possibly/probably yes, it would stop working if somehow you were able to install it - but no-one (outside of Davis) knows for sure at present.

But it's a totally hypothetical question right now: The v3.00 firmware is not available for download, it's only being supplied in brand new consoles. And if/when it is made available for more general downloads, I assume that the download panel would be hedged about with all sorts of prominent warnings about compatibility. In addition, very possibly the download package would be coded NOT to allow installation into older console versions.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2012, 07:30:32 PM »
Station and console arrived today. Console reports ver 1.90 - as it was before leaving.

Pat ~ Davis VP2 6153-Weatherlink-Weather Display-StartWatch-VirtualVP-Win7 Pro-64bit
www.LasCruces-Weather.com   www.EastMesaWeather.com

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2012, 10:16:11 AM »
Based on some further information from Davis, it looks like there's been a hardware change to the console (both VP2 and Vue I think) such that they require the recent ('green-dot') loggers and seemingly no other type of logger or interface can substitute. This change has been accompanied by the firmware revision to 3.00. Apparently the F/W on the new consoles cannot be downgraded to eg v1.90. (So this would not appear to be a firmware-only change - it could just be coincidental that the F/W has also been upgraded to 3.00, although that's quite a good diagnostic of the new consoles for now.)

The new consoles can also be identified by the fact that the serials (Mfg Code) now start with two letters, rather than one as previously, eg 'AA' for the VP2 and 'MB' for the Vue. Obviously these codes may increment in future revisions, eg to 'AB' and 'MC' for example, with the first letter also potentially changing for more major revisions.

So in checking future logger compatibility it will probably be better to look at the console Mfg Code letters, rather than the F/W revision per se. (Actually, the simplest way of checking is you have the green dot on the station packing then you'll also need the green dot on the logger pack - but obviously not much help if you've already disposed of the packing!)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 10:30:21 AM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline JPB

« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2012, 10:44:03 AM »
I am a new arrival, so I am not up to speed on all of the nomenclature.

So, I want to ask a simple question concerning the topic of this thread.

"New VP2 firmware blocking 3rd party data loggers?"

Which of the following does this mean, exactly?

1) You have to use Davis WeatherLink software *and* the console/USB cable that comes in its box? If this is the case, then using a box like the meteohub won't work, even when using a Davis/Weatherlink provided console/USB cable.
2) You have to use the console/USB cable that comes in the WeatherLink box, but you don't need weatherlink itself. If this is the case, then using a box like the meteohub will still work, as long as you are using this 'green dot' console/USB cable.
3) Something else.

Please, could someone let me know if we're talking about 1, 2 or 3 here, and if 3, what exactly is being discussed?

As you can guess, I fit category '2' - I purchased WeatherLink and got an ''official davis" cable from that, but my cable plugs into a MeteoHub.

Thanks,
Joel
Davis Pro 2, Meteohub

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2012, 10:45:40 AM »
Pick Door #2.  :)
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline belfryboy

• Forecaster
  • waiting for the rain.....
    • Belfryboy Blog
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2012, 11:40:39 AM »
Jpb, there are a number of us that build cables that interface with the console, without the need to purchase the weatherlink software. Obviously if you purchased a Davis logger, then you'll have no problems.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2012, 11:47:54 AM »
Jpb, there are a number of us that build cables that interface with the console..

Rob, the question is though, will the non-logger 'cables' still work with the new generation of consoles? It's a question - I don't know the answer, but I don't think it can be assumed to be yes (or no) until tested.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2012, 12:16:26 PM »
Jpb, there are a number of us that build cables that interface with the console..

Rob, the question is though, will the non-logger 'cables' still work with the new generation of consoles? It's a question - I don't know the answer, but I don't think it can be assumed to be yes (or no) until tested.

Is there an external, physical difference between the older Davis logger and the newer ("green dot") logger?  e.g., is the connector the same size, pin spacing, etc.?

Also, just out of curiosity - are all 3 types of logger available in the "green dot" version? 

Offline belfryboy

• Forecaster
  • waiting for the rain.....
    • Belfryboy Blog
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2012, 12:17:50 PM »

I think this was answered here.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2012, 12:30:06 PM »
Is there an external, physical difference between the older Davis logger and the newer ("green dot") logger?  e.g., is the connector the same size, pin spacing, etc.?

As far as I know, there's no visible difference - the Mfg Code is the only clue on the logger itself.

(There couldn't really be any difference eg to pin spacing - the green dot loggers have been in the supply chain for well over a year now and so have obviously been used extensively with pre- green dot consoles.)

Also, just out of curiosity - are all 3 types of logger available in the "green dot" version?  

Yes
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 12:41:33 PM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2012, 12:33:23 PM »
I think this was answered here.

Ah yes, I'd forgotten that post. Must remember to check back more carefully!
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2012, 12:54:18 PM »

... the green dot loggers have been in the supply chain for well over a year now ...

I wasn't aware that they had been out that long.  Thanks for the information.

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2012, 03:48:48 PM »
The problem, however, is that when you buy a station from someone other than DAVIS, you do not really know how long it had been in their inventory before it got to you; hence, buying something "new" today, from someone other than DAVIS, may or may NOT have the new 3.0.0 firmware.
• SYS: Davis VP2 Vue/WL-IP & Envoy8X/WL-USB;
• DBX2 & DBX1 Precision Digital Barographs
• CWOP: DW6988 - 2 miles NNE of Cortaro, AZ
• WU - KAZTUCSO202, Countryside

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2012, 04:07:40 PM »
The problem, however, is that when you buy a station from someone other than DAVIS, you do not really know how long it had been in their inventory before it got to you; hence, buying something "new" today, from someone other than DAVIS, may or may NOT have the new 3.0.0 firmware.

That's only a problem in one fairly narrow sense though. If the new station is not v3.00 F/W then it will work with any logger. If it is v3.00 (or, more accurately, an 'AA' (VP2) or 'MB' (Vue) revision in the Mfg Code) then as long as you're using a relatively recent logger (roughly 2011 or later) there will be no problem. The only combination that's going to be problematic AIUI is trying to use an AA/MB console with an older logger, which is possibly going to catch out a few users in the long run, but not many.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
    • West Coast Road Weather Data
« Reply #45 on: November 22, 2012, 05:48:23 PM »
the bottom line...is...the newest VP2 and Vue (with the V3 firmware)
at this stage
will not work with a 3rd party data logger
yes?
Brian
info@weather-display.com
http://www.weather-display.com

Offline JACK10562

• Forecaster
  • DW5051
    • DW5051 East Harwich MA
« Reply #46 on: November 22, 2012, 08:00:36 PM »
On another note, typically devices containing electronic circuits (radios) sporting a "green dot" indicates it's listed as the electronics systems being intrinsically safe for use in hazardous locations ( those containing combustible gas mixtures, airborne dust or other flammable materials)

Aside from the firmware (in)compatibility I don't see a need for this level of certification as being routinely necessary.
CWOP:DW5051
MADIS ID:D5051
WU:KMAEASTH4
CoCoRaHS:MA-BA-23
DavisVantagePro2Plus#6163
Cumulus 1.9.4(1097)←☼

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #47 on: November 23, 2012, 03:07:30 AM »
the bottom line...is...the newest VP2 and Vue (with the V3 firmware)
at this stage
will not work with a 3rd party data logger
yes?

That was my question to Belfryboy yesterday, to which there was one answer further back in the thread and which seemed to confirm fairly definitely that the AA/MB consoles won't work with _anything_ other than a 'green-dot' Davis logger. It's just one report of course for now, but no reason to think that it's not the definitive answer.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #48 on: November 23, 2012, 03:09:57 AM »
On another note, typically devices containing electronic circuits (radios) sporting a "green dot" indicates it's listed as the electronics systems being intrinsically safe for use in hazardous locations ( those containing combustible gas mixtures, airborne dust or other flammable materials)

Aside from the firmware (in)compatibility I don't see a need for this level of certification as being routinely necessary.

I suspect (though don't know for sure) that this is total coincidence and that Davis's use of the green dot (on the packaging not the device itself) is purely a visual indicator of console/logger compatibility and nothing more. BICBW.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
    • West Coast Road Weather Data
« Reply #49 on: November 23, 2012, 04:18:23 AM »
maybe the talented people here will figure out what the difference (i.e what changes there are), and make them compatible ...
Brian
info@weather-display.com
http://www.weather-display.com

anything