Author Topic: Give them a Chance  (Read 1369 times)

Offline Kiwi_weather

Give them a Chance
« on: May 20, 2019, 05:31:09 AM »
Why does everyone appear so negative – give the guys a chance ?   I too have a couple of small gripes, but overall I think the system is working well !   :- 
I live in New Zealand and, having been connected to WU for a couple of years, have found very little fault. OK we acknowledge the thing went ‘spastic’ for a period during its change to a new format  – and personally I preferred the old one. 
We need to get over blips with a change, offer positive suggestions, and enjoy a new environment rather than condemn everything they try to do.
If I were the administrator I’d exclude those who continue to and do nothing but winge - say many of us wading through repeditive pathetic cr*p.
I don’t have a web-cam, nor intend to get one, so issues associated are of absolutely no consequence.
From my perspective the system would be perfect once they fixed the decimal point for Celcius out, along with returning to us the ability to custom search historical data.
Good Luck, and keep progressing !! [tup]

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
Re: Give them a Chance
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2019, 05:34:31 AM »
that's the spirit :)

Offline Schnuddelbudel

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2019, 07:38:41 AM »
Yes,

same thinking the users around of us 👍

Even if we can understand some things a little bit, thats annoying behavior make us sick, also not really easier to overlook the real problems and we think it's also one reason how wunderground reponse is low!

Please not always the same (excuse us) "rub...h" on top, thank you.

We can all do better together.
In that sense [tup]

Offline SoMDWx

• Forecaster
    • Southern Maryland Weather
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2019, 07:49:18 AM »
Negativity grows exponentially with faults....

Depending on how long you have been involved with WU and the changes being made all depends on on'es outlook of the situation...

Could deployment of the new system been handled better... I think so... It seems that we all are being used as guinea pigs in this lab experiment.

Issues are only being resolved if there are enough gripes about a particular area/function not working correctly or just plain gone all together.

Yes, I understand that while constant whining/complaining/griping doesn't solve issues,  sometimes its the only way that gets the attention of the corporate heads...

Repeated failures and steps backwards over time doesn't help ...

We all have no choice but to wait to see what gets fixed and implemented.... Much like watching a last place football team trying to rebuild itself year after year after year.......

Greg_M

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2019, 08:02:56 AM »
How many years do you think they deserve?

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2019, 08:38:13 AM »
Yes,  .....  remarkable progress ....

« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 08:43:21 AM by Cutty Sark Sailor »

Offline Schnuddelbudel

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2019, 09:04:14 AM »
"Negativity grows exponentially with errors"

Our answer:
Sure NO, only in these times is negative mostly louder, faster, longer and always thinks that he represents the majority and is a good guy and of course knows a lot.
(with open eyes you can see that unfortunately everywhere now).

Oh and it could be several people who do not feel like "p ..s" and so on!

Also how long you can (here) already working with "wu" can never really be a reason for such a behavior, which also clearly harms, instead of helping.
It also let you look worse than you are.

--------

"How many years do you think they deserve?"

Answer:
It is as it is and also such a question and the like does not change it at all.
Except that many people who just do not want to sacrifice their time to read it over and over again, get annoyed and the forum loses them!

(!Not to mention the "guests", who usually often even form the majority!)

PS.
This is general and never personal attacks!!
Please do not let the next and next thread ruin again, thank you in advance 🙂

Sorry, that's the truth, too 😉
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 09:13:56 AM by Schnuddelbudel »

Greg_M

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2019, 09:14:52 AM »
Not exactly sure what all this means but after you are here for a few years maybe you will get tired of the WU mess too.
It would probably help your assessment if you had been around when they weren't screwed up.
....and that has been years.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2019, 09:41:40 AM »
I think more people would give WU a chance if they were a small independent company. The fact that they are owned by IBM changes a few things. It makes it so that our expectations are higher. For some people, being faced with a large company like IBM is reason enough to not like the big corporations that have so much money that appear to the public to be out of touch with reality and are run by corporate greed.

IBM would need to do a lot of good and much improvement to change the public perception. They would need to  deliver and innovate like an Apple or Google to create fanboys. Even then those large companies have their fair amount of critics, but it weighs out. IBM is just lacking in having anything they do create buzz and loyalty.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Greg_M

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2019, 09:47:50 AM »
It does not matter to me what size the company, only that it works right and displays the data I supply correctly.
If I were WU I would scrap their webpage display(s) and start over.
This has been going on for too long.

Offline Schnuddelbudel

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2019, 10:07:48 AM »
Dear "Greg_M" and "All",

I do not know why, when you say something different, even normal, you are either seen as a minority and sorry believe me or not, me and others have also "life experience", there is definitely no reason why we do not judge it could!

--------

Dear "galfert",

you maybe right, but it also change anyhing here in the moment, excuse me.
So we can only work normal together and see (hope) what comes up in the future, that's always the same, called "life"!

PS.
I wish everyone hereby and honestly meant to have a nice day / night, enjoying it is better than getting angry.

"Greg", i think you understand "Cheers" 😉

Okay sorry, that's all for here, all others things can from each clear and friendly read above 🙄

Greg_M

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2019, 10:12:52 AM »
To each his own.

Offline openvista

• Forecaster
    • marquetteweather.com
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2019, 11:06:34 AM »
If I were the administrator I’d exclude those who continue to and do nothing but winge - say many of us wading through repeditive pathetic cr*p.

Yes, and still others must wade through so many posts that argue the definition of insanity (doing the same thing and expecting different results) doesn't apply to WU. As long as they slowly quash the bugs they carelessly create as a symptom of their allergy to user testing, some here will say there are no real problems.

Should we instead ban people from the forum who enable years of bad behavior of WU toward its users and contributors? Or maybe we should just agree that you can't label yourself as "constructive" and ban dissenting viewpoints?
Davis Vantage Pro2 AC FARS | https://marquetteweather.com | EW7933

Offline WSWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2019, 11:11:31 AM »
Why does everyone appear so negative – give the guys a chance ?

I've been a paying member of WU since 2003.  I've "give[n] the guys a chance", even after the original team sold out to TWC and things started sliding downhill.  The current problem is IBM seems to be employing death by a thousand cuts in order to get rid of WU while integrating the PWS network into the TWC site.

It is a lot easier to be all sunshine and daffodils when stuff works correctly, but since 2017 WU has been picked apart with less and less functionality, and what is left doesn't even get the basics right.  It's kinda hard to cheer from the sidelines while the team is on the field throwing the game.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2019, 11:12:25 AM »
WU,
You lied to us. You told us that the old site would remain available until you fixed the new one.
 :evil:

Tele-Pole

Offline wvdkuil

• Wim van der kuil
  • Forecaster
    • My PWS at Leuven Belgium Europe
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2019, 11:27:27 AM »
Why does everyone appear so negative – give the guys a chance ?   I too have a couple of small gripes, but overall I think the system is working well !   :- 
I live in New Zealand and, having been connected to WU for a couple of years, have found very little fault. OK we acknowledge the thing went ‘spastic’ for a period during its change to a new format  – and personally I preferred the old one. 
We need to get over blips with a change, offer positive suggestions, and enjoy a new environment rather than condemn everything they try to do.
I don’t have a web-cam, nor intend to get one, so issues associated are of absolutely no consequence.
From my perspective the system would be perfect once they fixed the decimal point for Celcius out, along with returning to us the ability to custom search historical data.
Good Luck, and keep progressing !! [tup]
Other topic http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=36954.0

They removed the custom search /download without a warning, nobody could make a copy of their data, recent or old. No .csv download kills ALL history scripts that depended on that data, be it the tables or the graphs.

For the forecast we got long-before-the-fact the warnings and discussions.

I find their attitude becoming worse not better,

Wim  ](*,)

Offline txweather.org

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2019, 11:40:51 AM »
And that's just it... Wim nailed it... Wunderground keeps shooting their self on the foot. I have been very optimistic and positive about this whole "migration" But it is this bold moves that display a "We dont care for the community" That makes the community dislike them.... No warnings of any sort... Just take the plug out and let them deal with it.... That's just plain wrong.

I have been working with IT for many years and I never seen a migration like this.... It seem as they are migrating on the fly instead of fork lifting a clone and working with the clone till its ready. Bad planning, bad execution, bad all around. (PM on this project needs to go IBM!)

On top of that cutting access to data with no communication and half ass documentation on a new "API" system that is not even ready.

I have been giving them a chance. Too many of them.... I am going to be honest... I saw this one coming from a mile away... Not shocked but more or less surprise that it was this quick and this way.

----
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus +FARS|Meteobridge Nano SD|Meteohub|Meteobridge MR-3020|WU KTXSPRIN75/PWS JRARGWX75/CWOP EW2972/WBB TXWDVUE75/Blitzortung ID: 1142|AWEKAS: 12095
Donations are welcome: https://paypal.me/ffuentesb

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2019, 12:14:38 PM »
Ken,
Thank you for removing the WU turning the page post sticky and unlocking that thread.
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=36609.0

To all,
That was the right thing to do given the way WU has neglected this community. They say one thing but do another. Enough chances. I want to see action and promises kept.

WU is not turning a new page. I've been one of the few supporters of WU.  But the recent change to remove the old site before fixing the issues of the new site was a bad move because they promised to keep it up until things were fixed. Also breaking of all weather template scripts without warning is just wrong. Learning that they don't trust us to name our stations is poor judgment, as I thought that was a new site station name bug. It can't possibly take that long to fix decimals. I don't think they want to fix it. I think someone up top is ticked off that made this idiotic decision to begin with.

I feel on this forum we should be able to express ourselves freely with decorum. This means abiding by the forum rules and policies. In the past there were some unwarranted comments and right out lies about WU. That should never be tolerated. I feel the users of this forum should be able to express themselves against the wrongs of WU without fear of being banned. Wxforum.net should not be seen as protecting WU. I never took it to do that but some people did. Perhaps Ken can respond and elaborate on this.

Please post freely with regards to the rules and policies. WU needs to know how upset and disappointed we all are, even those like me that really thought they deserved the benefit of the doubt.

Opportunity (Necessity) is the mother of invention, someone famous once said or something like that. Perhaps some other company or individual will fill the void that WU has created.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 01:41:54 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2019, 01:12:28 PM »
... it's going to improve.... ????,,,,someone referenced "since 2017" or similar...  if you really believe tthat, then I suggest you begin your 'research' must earlier... say at least 2013... this thread might be a good starting point... just as a reference...
http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=19535.msg188763#msg188763
...and that history references JUST WxForum !!!!!!!!!!d
And it hasn't got any better,....If newcomers, and "defenders" really believe that things will change,.. great... keep the faith...
fact is, "Corporate WU" apparently doesn't care, despite lip service,... hasn't cared for several years, despite promises... and apparently would prefer not to  fool with us, despite appearances.
Give them a chance?.... nah.. too late for that.. Babe Ruth, et. al. were only allowed three strikes.

Move On, for goodness sake!

"Give 'em a chance???" 
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 01:16:16 PM by Cutty Sark Sailor »