Author Topic: Blockchain climate project - Earn for sharing your climate data.  (Read 1803 times)

Offline WeatherSV

• WeatherSV
Blockchain climate project - Earn for sharing your climate data.
« on: November 22, 2023, 09:36:01 PM »
WeatherSV is a blockchain powered project that seeks to reimagine how we collect, verify, share, value and monetise high quality climate data.

We are building an economy of high quality, verifiable climate data that can be viably monetised utilising the power of microtransactions on a scalable blockchain protocol such as BitcoinSV.

Davis weatherlink users can now start earning for sharing their climate data and get access to charting and history for no charge.

For more info about the project visit: https://weathersv.app/davis or check out our how to guide: https://weathersv.app/static/docs/davisintman.pdf

Online Mattk

• Forecaster
Re: Blockchain climate project - Earn for sharing your climate data.
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2023, 09:44:37 PM »
 "....high quality, verifiable climate data ....]

How do you propose to achieve that?

Offline WeatherSV

• WeatherSV
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2023, 09:53:28 PM »
We use blockchain to create a publicly verifiable trail of all individual data points that can be used to verify any data point at anytime in the future.

Offline Conchobair

• www.midkerry-weather.com
    • MidKerry Weather
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2023, 02:01:41 AM »
I do quite like the idea of this, i am big into blockchain technology so can see the benefits and obviously the rewards for providing the data.
Unfortunately, even though i have a davis weather station, i don't use weatherlink. So any plans to utilise other methods of gathering data ?

The old saying of Garbage in --> Garbage out is quite relevant here.. as to how can the data be verified to be true and correct ... It will have to rely on either human or AI to verify this data in the future compared to other data points i'm guessing.

Anyway, will keep an eye on the project and good luck with it

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2023, 08:43:06 AM »
For me, this is a serious hobby.  I try to keep my sensors calibrated.  I buy and upgrade to the highest quality weather related items that I can. 

I donate my data to MesoWest, WCCO-4, Windy, my lightning data to Blitzortung, and so on.

Not everything needs to be a source of income for me.  There are a lot of hobbyists and ham radio operators who do the same; an enormous number of them if  you look around.

I see no need to use anything except open exchange.  Blockchain isn't needed to share data.  It doesn't make the data more accurate.

And finally, I'd not PAY for data coming from a Davis station.  While it is pretty good, it isn't NWS quality which is available for free.  Who knows if the owner even installed the sensors according to official guidelines or not, so Poor Quality Data is assumed and in many cases despite the owners doing as best they can, don't have the resources or locations to work with.

Those free, high quality data completely open are now covering more and more of the USA and Canada.  Our stations fill in and give a smoother picture, but very few are into micro-climate analysis, and for what good?

I'm having fun, and will continue to do so.  I assume you're having fun with your project, but thanks for letting us  know it is a start for you. 
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline WeatherSV

• WeatherSV
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2023, 02:11:44 PM »
For me, this is a serious hobby.  I try to keep my sensors calibrated.  I buy and upgrade to the highest quality weather related items that I can. 

I donate my data to MesoWest, WCCO-4, Windy, my lightning data to Blitzortung, and so on.

Not everything needs to be a source of income for me.  There are a lot of hobbyists and ham radio operators who do the same; an enormous number of them if  you look around.

I see no need to use anything except open exchange.  Blockchain isn't needed to share data.  It doesn't make the data more accurate.

And finally, I'd not PAY for data coming from a Davis station.  While it is pretty good, it isn't NWS quality which is available for free.  Who knows if the owner even installed the sensors according to official guidelines or not, so Poor Quality Data is assumed and in many cases despite the owners doing as best they can, don't have the resources or locations to work with.

Those free, high quality data completely open are now covering more and more of the USA and Canada.  Our stations fill in and give a smoother picture, but very few are into micro-climate analysis, and for what good?

I'm having fun, and will continue to do so.  I assume you're having fun with your project, but thanks for letting us  know it is a start for you.

Few points - would not consider it income just an incentive model. While there is much open source data around that seems free and easy to access the companies that are collecting this data are charging considerably for bulk access. ie. Developer level API access to openweathermap data is $180USD per month

WeatherSV has over 11.5K channels of open source data currently logged on blockchain sponsored by folk who want an indelible record of local climate data.

Open source data such as this has no way to prove provenance, quality or veracity.

Through an incentivised model we aim to improve collection quality. Further incentives can be based on provided evidence of calibration, quality of equipment and adhering to best practice for location and installation.

A data trail on a blockchain maintains a record of veracity and provenance at time of collection. While it may not improve the data collected it protects it against future manipulation which often happens down the track for a specific purpose such as is common in agriculture land sales that creates incentive to fudge the rainfall figures etc.

Increasingly data veracity issues are becoming a problem in scientific circles as it seems that with so much data processing happening the original datasets are often lost in the process so having a means of ensuring its veracity at time of collection adds value to the data and provides trust and assurance to those purchasing or acquiring that data.

When packaged into larger datasets, scalable blockchain technology allows us to simply keep track of all the contributors of that dataset and reward them accordingly even if it is just a fraction of a cent, that is still a viable transaction.

Our site will not charge people to access your current data as that will be freely shared and displayed but if they want access to the historic data and charting then that will be through a subscription which will return revenue to the data providers on top of the base bounty for the data.

Davis is our starting point and what we consider good quality for price as we hope to also entice some blockchain enthusiasts into the project but hope to support many more soon and if our model proves successful the bounty will be in line with the quality of the device providing the data.

Appreciate the feedback

Offline WeatherSV

• WeatherSV
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2023, 02:37:04 PM »
I do quite like the idea of this, i am big into blockchain technology so can see the benefits and obviously the rewards for providing the data.
Unfortunately, even though i have a davis weather station, i don't use weatherlink. So any plans to utilise other methods of gathering data ?

The old saying of Garbage in --> Garbage out is quite relevant here.. as to how can the data be verified to be true and correct ... It will have to rely on either human or AI to verify this data in the future compared to other data points i'm guessing.

Yes we hope to support a range of options. Are you currently sharing data and if so how?

We do aim to cross reference multiple sources and will not solve these issues all at once but the record stored whether true or false stands as a testament to the data provided and by what device and user. We already have a reasonable baseline of open source data from 11.5K sponsored channels around the globe. Some now with over 4 years of recorded data.

Analysis overtime will be able to highlight inaccuracies in collected data that can reduce or stop the incentives unless corrected.

Thanks for you interest

Offline TheBushPilot

• Senior Contributor
  • Calibration Technician
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2023, 11:52:09 PM »
I don't mean to come in and be the debbie downer here but I'd wager 95% of stations employed across the United States are not sited properly. And then 99% of those stations are not calibrated or maintained on a scheduled basis. And the stations that are sited well are not producing high quality data. Davis may be great for the hobbyist but if you are looking for surface observations to be used for numerical models etc. those are not it. I would even go as far to say it's a gimmick.

TL;DR I wouldn't rely on consumer grade stations as a source of data. What good is data veracity if it doesn't hold up against scrutiny to begin with.

Just my two cents.

Cheers
"There is — always — more than one thing influencing anything we are trying to measure." ~ Sherman Fredrickson
"Do it right or don't do it at all."

Met Instruments Project
Central Chasers

Offline WeatherSV

• WeatherSV
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2023, 01:23:01 AM »
I don't mean to come in and be the debbie downer here but I'd wager 95% of stations employed across the United States are not sited properly. And then 99% of those stations are not calibrated or maintained on a scheduled basis. And the stations that are sited well are not producing high quality data. Davis may be great for the hobbyist but if you are looking for surface observations to be used for numerical models etc. those are not it. I would even go as far to say it's a gimmick.

TL;DR I wouldn't rely on consumer grade stations as a source of data. What good is data veracity if it doesn't hold up against scrutiny to begin with.

Just my two cents.

Cheers

Thanks for the feedback and appreciate what you are saying. Our plan has always been to have different levels of data ie. Open source, private hobbyist, professional and a range of IoT sensors and devices. We agree that not all data is equal and a major component of the project moving forward will be how we weight different data based on these quality metrics. This in turn will effect the incentive mechanisms by offering higher returns for higher quality data based on device, location, installation and maintenance.

We keen to consult with weather data collection experts to help prioritise integration services moving forward.

Davis is just a first step for us as we test an further develop our blockchain integration and verification services and we will focus on broadening our device integration options once we have all working smoothly and autonomously.

Offline N0NB

• Amateur weather observer
  • Contributor
    • N0NB.us
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2023, 02:05:46 AM »
A data trail on a blockchain maintains a record of veracity and provenance at time of collection. While it may not improve the data collected it protects it against future manipulation which often happens down the track for a specific purpose such as is common in agriculture land sales that creates incentive to fudge the rainfall figures etc.

Where does this happen?  I've been involved in agriculture all of my life (I'm 60) and have been to many land auctions and seen many more land sale bills.  Never once, has rainfall been indicated.  Not once.  In this part of the world, Kansas/Nebraska, rainfall is far from a sure thing and if a land agent tried to claim that a certain property gets even 10% more rainfall, their real estate license would be in jeopardy.  No one would be buying that one.  In general we know that average rainfall increases from west to east across each state.

Consider me skeptical on that point.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2023, 02:36:46 AM »
And the stations that are sited well are not producing high quality data.
That's complete bullshit. Period.

Offline WeatherSV

• WeatherSV
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2023, 03:11:51 AM »

Where does this happen?  I've been involved in agriculture all of my life (I'm 60) and have been to many land auctions and seen many more land sale bills.  Never once, has rainfall been indicated.  Not once.  In this part of the world, Kansas/Nebraska, rainfall is far from a sure thing and if a land agent tried to claim that a certain property gets even 10% more rainfall, their real estate license would be in jeopardy.  No one would be buying that one.  In general we know that average rainfall increases from west to east across each state.

Consider me skeptical on that point.

It is not something I can speak about through experience but we started this project in 2019 and a party interested in solving that problem approached us. I have not heard anything about agents but the allegation is that many landholders present hand written or excel spreadsheets as proof of their rainfall data which has obvious valuation implications.

In terms of applicable personal experience with regard mineral assay reports as I have witnessed court cases take place over fudged assay figures used to increase valuation of leases for resale. We are currently working with an environmental survey company that wants to ensure the data is verifiable to avoid similar outcomes with manipulation of data they present.

Offline WeatherSV

• WeatherSV
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2023, 03:18:11 AM »
Compared to what we have tested over the last couple of years they certainly punch above their weight and we found them to be the best mix of price vs quality.

Offline TheBushPilot

• Senior Contributor
  • Calibration Technician
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2023, 03:19:42 AM »

Respectfully disagree.

At least in this context I wouldn't want data from a station that did not have rigorous calibration/maintenance history.

Cheers
"There is — always — more than one thing influencing anything we are trying to measure." ~ Sherman Fredrickson

Met Instruments Project
Central Chasers

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2023, 03:29:48 AM »

Respectfully disagree.

At least in this context I wouldn't want data from a station that did not have rigorous calibration/maintenance history.
Please list above history. I know mine.

Offline TheBushPilot

• Senior Contributor
  • Calibration Technician
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2023, 03:39:44 AM »

I’m not sure I understand what you mean. Are you referring to my “station”?

Met Instruments Project
Central Chasers

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2023, 03:52:51 AM »

I’m not sure I understand what you mean. Are you referring to my “station”?
All I'm asking is what is your "rigorous calibration/maintenance history" requirements.

Online Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2023, 04:09:29 AM »
Very few, if any PWS would have any sort of calibration records, let alone a traceable calibration or an actual maintenance history (as such)

Offline WeatherSV

• WeatherSV
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2023, 04:29:08 AM »
Very few, if any PWS would have any sort of calibration records, let alone a traceable calibration or an actual maintenance history (as such)

We can create this that allows blockchain traceable maintenance records digitally signed by owner or maintainer. Adds weight to data and increases bounty. Very good ideas and feedback.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2023, 04:37:07 AM »
WeatherSV is a blockchain powered project that seeks to reimagine how we collect, verify, share, value and monetise high quality climate data.
Where are you headquartered?

Offline WeatherSV

• WeatherSV
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2023, 04:49:49 AM »
Where are you headquartered?

Near Cairns  Australia

Offline Conchobair

• www.midkerry-weather.com
    • MidKerry Weather
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2023, 07:36:08 AM »

Yes we hope to support a range of options. Are you currently sharing data and if so how?

We do aim to cross reference multiple sources and will not solve these issues all at once but the record stored whether true or false stands as a testament to the data provided and by what device and user. We already have a reasonable baseline of open source data from 11.5K sponsored channels around the globe. Some now with over 4 years of recorded data.

Analysis overtime will be able to highlight inaccuracies in collected data that can reduce or stop the incentives unless corrected.

Thanks for you interest

Share data with a few sites but typically Wunderground,PWS Weather, Wind Guru,Open Weather Map .. but there are more out there

Offline TheBushPilot

• Senior Contributor
  • Calibration Technician
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2023, 12:24:49 PM »
All I'm asking is what is your "rigorous calibration/maintenance history" requirements.

Ohh I see.

Annual NIST traceable calibration of applicable measurements at an ISO 17025:2017 certified lab, and annual/semi-annual maintenance.

That way even if your station isn’t the best ever you’ve still got the records to support consistency in measurement certainty.

Met Instruments Project
Central Chasers

Offline WeatherSV

• WeatherSV
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2023, 05:28:42 PM »

Thanks for you interest

Share data with a few sites but typically Wunderground,PWS Weather, Wind Guru,Open Weather Map .. but there are more out there

We have integration with OpenWeatherMap and could connect your station through it if you want to participate just be a little more manual process than the automated one we currently have with weatherlink but easy enough done.

Offline cjohlandt

• Cedar Ridge Weather
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2023, 06:36:30 PM »
Can you please compare and contract WeatherSV with WeatherXM, which is also building out a blockchain-based weather network (with their own version of a couple of Fine Offset weather stations)?

Thanks.
-Chris
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus Wireless, WeatherLink Live
WXM WiFi (identical to Ecowitt WS69), Ecowitt GW2000
PurpleAir PA-II