Author Topic: BloomSky App Slowing Down Phone?  (Read 2274 times)

Offline hankster

• Forecaster
    • NFM Weather
BloomSky App Slowing Down Phone?
« on: March 01, 2016, 11:13:05 PM »
Over the past week or so my Android phone has been slow to respond and slow to open apps. I looked around, cleared the cache and checked to see if anything was eating up memory or CPU.... nothing stood out. I than decided to force stop the BloomSky app and the phone started acting pretty much normally again. I had about 30 stations in my fav list. Not sure if it will stay this way but will keep an eye on it. Anyone else have something like this happen?

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
Re: BloomSky App Slowing Down Phone?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2016, 11:20:16 PM »
This has been mentioned previously. I haven't seen this on my Samsung Galaxy S5 but then, I only have 20 favorites selected.

What kind of phone do you have?
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline kc2kzz

• Solitude Village Weather
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2016, 06:40:46 AM »
If you keep hitting the back button, it should say hit back again to exit and that should shut down the app.

Offline hankster

• Forecaster
    • NFM Weather
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2016, 07:53:24 AM »
If you keep hitting the back button, it should say hit back again to exit and that should shut down the app.
It doesn't completely shut down the app. Tried that and it still showed that I could force kill the process. I didn't actually go in and see if a BloomSky process was running in the background after I did the back button exit.

Offline hankster

• Forecaster
    • NFM Weather
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2016, 09:13:33 PM »
well, it wasn't the BloomSky app. The slowness returned. Must have some other misbehaving app somewhere.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2016, 10:51:36 PM »
I am having this issue with my phone. My wife also downloaded the app and is experiencing slow downs.
I have a Moto G 2013 and she has a Moto G 2015.
It has crashed several times and each time I send in a report.
My wife and I haven't downloaded any other android apps so this might be the culprit.
For now I am going to uninstall it and see what happens.
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2016, 07:56:24 PM »
I downloaded the app again after seeing Bloomsky did a couple updates.
So far it seems to be working fine for both me and my wife.
I wonder if it was just a Motorola issue. :???:

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2016, 03:56:27 PM »
Having this issue again.
Have a phone just like mine without the Bloomsky app. It connects to wifi at almost 50 MB.
My phone sitting right next to it connects to the same server  at 19MB but the speed is up and down.
My wife has a newer phone with the Bloomsky app installed. It connects to the same server at 20MB but it fluctuates wildly also. After uninstalling the Bloomsky app from my wife's newer phone it now connects at 49MB with no swings at all.
Something about that app is causing a slow down in my wifi signal.
Is that app necessary to connect the unit to wifi? If not it's getting uninstalled.
If anyone else could confirm on their end that this app is causing issues to their wifi speed please chime in.

Offline SpringHillWeather

• Weather Hobbyist
  • Forecaster
  • Spring Hill, Florida
    • Spring Hill
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2016, 04:31:51 PM »
Having this issue again.
Have a phone just like mine without the Bloomsky app. It connects to wifi at almost 50 MB.
My phone sitting right next to it connects to the same server  at 19MB but the speed is up and down.
My wife has a newer phone with the Bloomsky app installed. It connects to the same server at 20MB but it fluctuates wildly also. After uninstalling the Bloomsky app from my wife's newer phone it now connects at 49MB with no swings at all.
Something about that app is causing a slow down in my wifi signal.
Is that app necessary to connect the unit to wifi? If not it's getting uninstalled.
If anyone else could confirm on their end that this app is causing issues to their wifi speed please chime in.

No the App is only at first to configure the Bloomsky to your network.  After that you can uninstall it to save resources and other issues it may cause.  You can always re-install it if necessary if every needed to setup the BloomSky.   I think this may be one reason why they are going to use Bluetooth on the Sky2.

Be aware that many Android apps do things in the background and drain the battery and use resources, especially the weather apps.  If you run BloomSky, WU, WU Storm you'll see your battery get eaten up :)

Saratoga
HomeWeatherStation
Meteotemplate
Homebrew
Ambient 1001 | ObserverIP | Meteobridge | MeteoPlug

Offline hankster

• Forecaster
    • NFM Weather
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2016, 08:13:53 PM »
Just tested mine. Download speed checked and it was 26M. Checked again after running the Bloomsky app is 13M. Tested with it uninstalled it was 28M. Could be at some time that the Bloomsky apps completely shuts down and that's the reason I first seen the higher speeds.