Author Topic: ecowitt as first weather station?  (Read 1246 times)

Offline Jamithy

ecowitt as first weather station?
« on: December 31, 2020, 10:13:37 AM »
Hi,

I'm completely new to weather stations, but after reading suggestions on here then I'm now thinking of getting an ecowitt station, and I'm looking at getting the following from them:

* WH57 - lightning sensor
* WH41 - 2.5 outdoor air quality sensor
* WH51 - Soil moisture sensor
* WH32 - outdoor temperature & humidity sensor
* WH40 - Rain collector
* WS80 - Ultrasonic Wind speed & direction etc.
* GW1000 - Weather Station Gateway
* HP-2551C - Screen

I think that should be a good starting point as a first weather station? I'd also like to upload my data to Wunderground, WOW etc (which my kit will allow), and I might run cumulusMX on a local raspberry pi.  Bizarrely, the kit (GW1003) that they have on their website is, by my calculations, approx $39 more expensive than buying the bits separately!  #-o

is there anything anyone else can recommend that might be useful/good to have?  I had a look at the Davis VP2, and it's out of my price range!  Is it best to order it direct from ecowitt, or are there any UK stockists - I've looked and I can't find any.

Many thanks in advance for your help! :)

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: ecowitt as first weather station?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2020, 11:13:40 AM »
You might want to check out Froggit or Misol for price comparisons. But they might not have every part. So to complete from Ecowitt you would have to match with the same frequency. So keep in mind that Froggit is all 868 MHz and Misol is 433 MHz.

The WH32 requires a good radiation shield. Don't get the Ecowitt shield.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 11:15:47 AM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline Jamithy

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2020, 11:16:49 AM »
Hiya,

thanks for your quick reply! :) I have had a look at Froggit, and it was going to be more expensive that ordering direct from ecowitt, and that takes into account customs duties payable. Also froggit don't see to have the ultrasonic wind speed & direction, they're the more usual cups, if that makes sense?

Thanks for your help :-)

Offline wvdkuil

• Wim van der kuil
  • Forecaster
    • My PWS at Leuven Belgium Europe
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2020, 11:48:43 AM »
Hiya,

thanks for your quick reply! :) I have had a look at Froggit, and it was going to be more expensive that ordering direct from ecowitt, and that takes into account customs duties payable. Also froggit don't see to have the ultrasonic wind speed & direction, they're the more usual cups, if that makes sense?

They sell it as
https://www.froggit.de/product_info.php?language=en&info=p471_hp1000se-pro-ultrasonic-wifi-internet-funk-wetterstation.html

Wim

Offline Jamithy

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2020, 11:50:45 AM »
thanks a lot - i'll take a look! :)

Offline box

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2021, 09:27:41 AM »
Hiya,

They sell it as
https://www.froggit.de/product_info.php?language=en&info=p471_hp1000se-pro-ultrasonic-wifi-internet-funk-wetterstation.html

Wim

Hi
I have just bought  a GW1002 station from ecowitt direct.  Duty was about £8 but they use FEDEX as a carrier (no problems with delivery, took about a week after 4 week wait to ship due to covid, that may be better now) who seem to add a £12 fee for spurious reasons, so challenge that!

You may find if you ask for a quote you will get a better deal than assembling all the bits on the website - I did \:D/

Offline Jamithy

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2021, 09:57:40 AM »
Hi,

Thanks for the info re: asking for a quote, I'll certainly do that when I come to order it! :)  Also good to know about potential shipping times etc.

Many thanks once again! :)

Offline Mandrake

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2021, 04:53:46 AM »
I would certainly contact Lucy (support@ecowitt.com) and ask for a quote for that bundle of kit.
Obviously with Brexit and Covid there might well be delays in getting it shipped but I think its pretty unavoidable at the moment.
If you are going to order then do it as soon as possible because the Chinese New Year is coming up and the factory and offices in Shenzen shutdown for 2 weeks.

If you want any direct advice (I have pretty much all the kit you are thinking of) then feel free to PM me.
G1ZFO

Ecowitt HP2551A + WH65 Tri-Wing (Wunderground: IGUILDFO67)
Ecowitt GW1000 (Wunderground: IGUILDFO68)
Ecowitt GW1000 (Mk2) test environment driving CumulusMX on a RPi 3b
Ecowitt GW2000 (Test)
Ecowitt WS90 Wittboy - Test
Ecowitt WH51 (x6) Soil Moisture Sensor
Ecowitt WH41 PM2.5 AQM Sensor
Ecowitt WH31 (x8) Thermo/Hygro Sensor
Ecowitt WS80 Ultrasonic Anemometer (pre-prod test)
Ecowitt WH57 Lightning Sensor -test
Ecowitt WH32-EP (SHT35) + Davis 7714 Screen
Ecowitt WH45 CO2/PM2.5/PM10 -Test
Ecowitt WN34 Soil Temp Sensor -Test
Ecowitt WN34 Water Temp Sensor -Test
Ecowitt WN35 Leaf Moisture

Offline Jamithy

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2021, 11:16:33 AM »
Thanks I'll certainly contact her about it, and thanks for the advice about ordering it from them.  I need to save up for it first, but I think it would be a cool thing to have in the garden! :)