Author Topic: Atlas Wind Direction Issue  (Read 1937 times)

Offline smac

Atlas Wind Direction Issue
« on: March 19, 2019, 07:11:04 PM »
I am see a recurring problem with my Atlas wind vane.  The wind vane spins freely but it sends a continuous direction reading of ESE degrees no matter which direction it points for extended periods(see attached).  I see the same indication on both the console and WU.  It usually will start reading correctly after a period of time.  I also have found that if I go out and remove the wind assembly from the unit and unplug the cable and plug it back in it will start reading correctly.  Anyone else seen this issue?

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline Mirwin275

• Senior Contributor
  • AcuRite Atlas (wind ext. & lightning detector)
Re: Atlas Wind Direction Issue
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2019, 07:40:53 PM »
I am see a recurring problem with my Atlas wind vane.  The wind vane spins freely but it sends a continuous direction reading of ESE degrees no matter which direction it points for extended periods(see attached).  I see the same indication on both the console and WU.  It usually will start reading correctly after a period of time.  I also have found that if I go out and remove the wind assembly from the unit and unplug the cable and plug it back in it will start reading correctly.  Anyone else seen this issue?

Hmm? It's weird that wind speed is still reporting fine, but not wind direction. I have not seen this happen at all with mine and I have the wind extension kit installed. It seems like something is not fully connected properly inside the anemometer and wind vane component. Maybe Victoria from Acurite may have some insight on this? I wish I had an answer.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2019, 07:56:06 PM »

Hmm? It's weird that wind speed is still reporting fine, but not wind direction. I have not seen this happen at all with mine and I have the wind extension kit installed. It seems like something is not fully connected properly inside the anemometer and wind vane component. Maybe Victoria from Acurite may have some insight on this? I wish I had an answer.

The inner shaft detects wind direction.  There's a small magnet at the end of the shaft that turns over a Hall sensor.

One possibility is that the shaft isn't seated down as far as it should, so the magnet is too high over the sensor.

Another possibility might be a nicked or cut wire in the assembly.  I noticed during my tear-down that the insulation on one wire looked like it had been pinched, but it still worked.

Bad Hall sensor?

This is a long shot, but maybe you could try to re-calibrate north using the calibrate button in the battery bay.  That should reset the Hall sensor chip.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 07:57:39 PM by nincehelser »

Offline smac

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2019, 08:05:45 PM »
If it's not seated correctly would I just need to push down on the wind vane?  I have tried resetting north a couple of times when I was unplugging it and plugging it back in.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2019, 08:56:00 PM »
If it's not seated correctly would I just need to push down on the wind vane?  I have tried resetting north a couple of times when I was unplugging it and plugging it back in.

Yes, but not very hard.  It should seat itself easily with little effort.

Offline smac

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2019, 03:49:18 PM »
The reading was stuck again today and I was able to get to the sensor.  Push down on the wind vane but there did not seem to be any movement.  Pushed the re-calibrate north button instead of unplugging it this time and that got it working again.  Will see if it happens again.

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2019, 09:09:21 AM »
I just wanted to report that I’ve been having the same problem for the last two weeks. The direction gets stuck and then works again. It has stayed stuck for 1-2 days and when it restarts its usually works for only 4-6 hours. The direction always gets stuck on 26 degrees. Wind speed is always reporting and is working without problems.

I haven’t had any time to take my station down and examine it. I’ll examine the wind vane when I do and will push the north button calibration like you did if I don’t find any physically wrong.

Hope yours is still working after pushing the north calibration button.

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline smac

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2019, 09:29:17 AM »
Pushing the calibration button worked but only for about a day.  I think the problem was with the cable being pinched.  The way the wind assembly twists onto the body of the Atlas the cable can get pinched if it isn't routed carefully.  I took mine apart and was very careful to try and keep the cable from having to twist as it went back together.  That seems to have done the trick as it has been working fine for several weeks now.  Good luck with yours.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2019, 10:04:04 AM »
I also have noticed the cable for the wind instruments can get pinched. This will cause a short. Also the ribbon cable for the solar panels can be pinched when you close the rain bucket, so you have to be sure it goes back in the right place. Not easy sometimes.

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2019, 10:17:36 AM »
Thanks for the heads up. I could see it being a pinched cable. I've had the rain bucket open for rain calibration about 6-8 times. Will check it!
« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 10:23:10 AM by worachj »

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2019, 02:12:13 PM »
I finally got around to taking my Atlas down and examining it. Checked the cable and made sure it was plugged in tight. The wind direction is now working and is fixed for now!

I always had higher temp readings when direct sunlight was hitting the Atlas. So, I remember someone posting that their fan housing wasn’t snapped in all the way and was impeding the fan. So, I checked my fan housing and found that I had the same problem. I snapped it in and the fan is now running and my temperature readings are now improved and right on! My fan has never been running since I put it up.

But now that I have my fan running guess what, wait, wait, wait for it ….

I’m getting false lightning readings!

« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 07:01:55 PM by worachj »

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

anything