Author Topic: Meteobridge reports fail but photo always updates.  (Read 890 times)

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
Meteobridge reports fail but photo always updates.
« on: November 24, 2020, 01:45:43 PM »
This is strange. Has always done it. Photo updates just fine but Meteo reports errors.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline docbee

• Forecaster
    • smartbedded
Re: Meteobridge reports fail but photo always updates.
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2020, 04:20:15 PM »
Not sure what you are trying to do here. Uploading manually to the Meteobridge server via FTP? That won't work for sure.
Can you please share your event definition for that?
founder of smartbedded.com - home of meteohub, meteoplug, meteobridge, meteostick

Offline davidmc36

• Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2020, 05:54:51 PM »
Oh yeah, I forgot where it's going. Uploading image to my Ambient Dashboard.

Offline josecmorales

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2020, 07:31:12 AM »
Sorry, but why you upload through FTP to ambientweather.net? the website only need an address, and you have it (MB webcam)
Vantage Pro2 + UV, Airlink, Purpleair, Meteobridge.
Twitter: ClimaGuayana
Blitzortung station: 2934
Weatherlink: ClimaGuayana

Offline davidmc36

• Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2020, 10:14:01 AM »
When I added camera Ambient Dashboard gave me ftp server address, username, and password settings for picture upload.

Offline docbee

• Forecaster
    • smartbedded
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2020, 05:13:15 AM »
From the screen dump it looks like you are trying to FTP to the meteobridge server. I don't understand why.
founder of smartbedded.com - home of meteohub, meteoplug, meteobridge, meteostick

Offline davidmc36

• Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2020, 05:34:22 AM »
I know it looks weird at glance.

In screen shot is address of where the photo is housed. Meteobridge gets image from my camera's URL, adds overlay, then places it at that address. Then FTP loads that to Ambient.

At least that's what I thought it was. I am sure that red X showed up after starting Ambient Cam upload.

Am I looking at something different? Maybe try turning off some uploads and see what happens????

Offline docbee

• Forecaster
    • smartbedded
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2020, 05:46:06 AM »
why don't you share the event definition?

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2020, 06:43:48 AM »
I know it looks weird at glance.

No it doesn't look weird. It looks completely just wrong an not something that will ever work. You are are confused and you have it all wrong.

In screen shot is address of where the photo is housed. Meteobridge gets image from my camera's URL, adds overlay, then places it at that address. Then FTP loads that to Ambient.

At least that's what I thought it was. I am sure that red X showed up after starting Ambient Cam upload.

Nope that isn't what is occurring and I can see your mistake in thinking the wrong thing.

The Meteobridge captures the camera still image via the camera's URL. Then the Meteobridge can send this image to the Meteobridge.com servers. It sends only one image. It can also send image text overlay instructions to the server. The image text manipulation and image resize are not done by the Meteobridge. The Meteobridge only sends the instructions to the Meteobridge.com servers and that all happens there and not on your Meteobridge. The Meteobridge never receives back the image with the text overlay. The Meteobridge has an icon to take your to your text overlay image but that is just a link shortcut to Meteobridge.com where your new image is. You can't FTP this image because the Meteobridge doesn't have it. Original Meteobridge hardware was not powerful enough to do image manipulation locally. I'd argue the the new Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi is but that would be something to maybe hope for as a special feature for this new platform.

Am I looking at something different? Maybe try turning off some uploads and see what happens????
If you want some weather service to have the text overlay image then all you do is provide the Meteobridge.com image URL to that site. You can't FTP this image that you don't have. I suppose you could arrange some other software to pull it down from Meteobridge.com to then FTP it elsewhere but I don't see the point as most sites will just pull it themselves if you provide the URL.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2020, 06:47:51 AM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline davidmc36

• Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2020, 09:20:09 AM »
So how exactly is Ambient Dashboard getting the image right now? It shows up fine with the overlay included.

I tried URL and it never shows up. So I tried this and it uploads image but makes error.

How is it working then?

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2020, 10:58:47 AM »
So how exactly is Ambient Dashboard getting the image right now? It shows up fine with the overlay included.
There is no weather data overlay from your current image at Ambientweather.net.
The image at Ambientweather.net only has date/time and the name "weather" underneath the date/time.

I tried URL and it never shows up. So I tried this and it uploads image but makes error.
If URL link doesn't work at Ambientweather.net then that would be a problem over at Ambientweather.net. You should ask them why they aren't pulling your URL.

How is it working then?
Your Meteobridge is uploading the raw image (no weather text overlay) via FTP to Ambientweather.net.

This configuration does just that. It hold the credentials for you to upload your camera image via FTP to Ambientweather.net (no weather text):

This other configuration is incorrect because you aren't using this feature correctly:

The purpose of the Event FTP Cam is to take the camera source image that the Meteobridge got via Weather Station / Weather Cam tab and then upload it to the path specified by "Path (File):" Therefore you are attempting to use this field as a source and its purpose is a destination on the remote FTP server whose credentials you defined by the Services / Service Settings tab.

The error you see if because that Path doesn't exist at Ambientweather.net FTP servers. It just isn't even formatted correctly to be a path anyway.

In the case of Ambientweather.net web cam FTP the path should just be blank. The purpose of this field is if you are FTP'ing to your own server and you want to specify a folder on your server that isn't the home folder for your FTP user account.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2020, 11:07:13 AM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline davidmc36

• Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2020, 11:43:12 AM »
I never looked close to see the overlay missing at ambient. I see it everywhere else I just assumed  :oops:

If I delete the offending Event #2, or remove the info from the "Path" line.....the image stops loading to Ambient. When I click the TEST button: Error: FTP test upload failed: ncftpput /test-upload: server said: Requested action not taken. File unavailable

I remember now that is why I went trying other things and it started working once I made the Event #2

So if it is not working with just my Camera credentials in the FTP section.......where else do I have an error or misconfiguration to cause that?

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2020, 01:31:02 PM »
You don't delete your Event #2 FTP Cam. What you do is enter image.jpg for the Path (file) field and then click the save button. That is it as long as your FTP credentials are correct in the Service Settings and the Test Path under there doesn't need anything so leave that one blank as in empty.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2020, 01:32:49 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline davidmc36

• Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2020, 02:11:42 PM »
Hmmmm. Uploads but still gives error.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2020, 02:54:50 PM »
That error means that Ambient has given you permissions to upload and overwrite an image file but they have not given you permission to delete the file. It seems that the Meteobridge is programed to want to delete the file before uploading a new image file...and that is why you see the error message.

I would say ignore the problem that is just a minor annoyance, or report the issue to Ambient and let them know that they should enable delete image files permissions to FTP webcam accounts.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2020, 02:56:31 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline davidmc36

• Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2020, 03:23:50 PM »
Interesting. Learn something new every day. LOL

Now if I can figure out why is suddenly went totally off line......... ](*,)