Weather Station Hardware > Weather Station Pictures

Old Fashioned Weather Station

<< < (28/28)

rlund:
I am interested in purchasing your Heathkit IDW-2090 Digital Barograph kits, either or both. I live in Alaska and these would make wonderful addition to my weather station! Best Regards, Richard

james_s:
I know this is an ancient thread but I just finally got around to documenting the adapter I built to enable a modern wind vane to be connected to the classic Heathkit ID-1590 console. Since it is a very simple circuit and I only needed one of them I hand wired the prototype on perfboard and did not bother to lay out a PCB for it. I designed it to use a "phantom power" technique that allows it to receive power directly from the Heathkit console in completely original form without needing any modifications to the console so no external power source is required. I used a set of NRG sensors I had but the Davis VantagePro boom should be directly compatible as well as any other potentiometer style wind vane.  I am not selling anything and am not interested in producing these myself so it is a DIY solution. If somebody else would like to produce them for sale go right ahead, I am releasing this to the community. It may work on other similar weather stations but I have only tested it on the ID-1590 I have where it has been in use for about a year now and continues to work perfectly.

https://github.com/james10952001/Heathkit-ID-1590-adapter

UCWeatherstation:
Cool old weatehr station

KerryB:

--- Quote from: james_s on October 11, 2021, 05:00:10 PM ---I know this is an ancient thread but I just finally got around to documenting the adapter I built to enable a modern wind vane to be connected to the classic Heathkit ID-1590 console. Since it is a very simple circuit and I only needed one of them I hand wired the prototype on perfboard and did not bother to lay out a PCB for it. I designed it to use a "phantom power" technique that allows it to receive power directly from the Heathkit console in completely original form without needing any modifications to the console so no external power source is required. I used a set of NRG sensors I had but the Davis VantagePro boom should be directly compatible as well as any other potentiometer style wind vane.  I am not selling anything and am not interested in producing these myself so it is a DIY solution. If somebody else would like to produce them for sale go right ahead, I am releasing this to the community. It may work on other similar weather stations but I have only tested it on the ID-1590 I have where it has been in use for about a year now and continues to work perfectly.

https://github.com/james10952001/Heathkit-ID-1590-adapter

--- End quote ---

Resurrecting a year comment to decades old post..will it work?

In reviewing your project notes I noticed you mention that you modified the sensor by replacing a pickup coil with a reed switch. As I have limited knowledge of the Davis Vantage Pro sensors, I have a question. I believe the 1590 uses 4 magnets and one reed switch in the anemometer portion of the sensor boom, creating 4 pulses per rotation of the cup asm. Does the Vantage Pro sensor also have 4 magnets and if not can you explain how you further modified the unit?  Thanks

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version