Weather Station Hardware > Ambient Weather and Ecowitt and other Fine Offset clones

WH40 - dead, or just dead battery?

(1/15) > >>

GeeEmm:
My WH40 rain gauge had dropped off the HP 2550 console, no data, not even a signal strength indicator.  Activated around April, so not been up all that long.  Unfortunately, for reasons, I can't access it for a week or so to check if a new battery brings it back.

Q1 - is that a reasonable battery life (April-August)?

Q2 - is there any history of failures of this item?  I found one thread with two failures https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=42382.msg432613;topicseen#msg432613, anything else I have missed?

I guess I will have answers to these questions soon enough, but in the meantime I'd be interested in what the hive mind here thinks.

Rover1822:

--- Quote ---Q1 - is that a reasonable battery life (April-August)?
--- End quote ---

It is a bit short, but battery quality also comes into play.

Gyvate:

--- Quote from: GeeEmm on August 18, 2022, 08:03:01 AM ---My WH40 rain gauge had dropped off the HP 2550 console, no data, not even a signal strength indicator.  Activated around April, so not been up all that long.  Unfortunately, for reasons, I can't access it for a week or so to check if a new battery brings it back.

Q2 - is there any history of failures of this item?  I found one thread with two failures https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=42382.msg432613;topicseen#msg432613, anything else I have missed?

I guess I will have answers to these questions soon enough, but in the meantime I'd be interested in what the hive mind here thinks.

--- End quote ---
Did you check the sensors ID page in the Settings ? (settings --> More [settings] sensorsID ) and tried to re-register the WH40 ?
If you got a bad batch of batteries - or they had already self-discharged quite a bit, new batteries could do the job. Re-registering might still be required.

GeeEmm:

--- Quote from: Rover1822 on August 18, 2022, 08:09:31 AM ---
--- Quote ---Q1 - is that a reasonable battery life (April-August)?
--- End quote ---

It is a bit short, but battery quality also comes into play.

--- End quote ---

Good point, they (it?) were new Duracell alkaline.  How long they had sat on the shelf though, who knows.

--- Quote from: Gyvate on August 18, 2022, 03:54:17 PM ---
--- Quote from: GeeEmm on August 18, 2022, 08:03:01 AM ---My WH40 rain gauge had dropped off the HP 2550 console, no data, not even a signal strength indicator.  Activated around April, so not been up all that long.  Unfortunately, for reasons, I can't access it for a week or so to check if a new battery brings it back.

--- End quote ---
Did you check the sensors ID page in the Settings ? (settings --> More [settings] sensorsID ) and tried to re-register the WH40 ?
If you got a bad batch of batteries - or they had already self-discharged quite a bit, new batteries could do the job. Re-registering might still be required.

--- End quote ---

Thanks Gyvate, tried that, no luck  :sad:.

Edited:  I should add that all other sensors are showing full strength signal, which suggests battery is not the problem, but that will remain speculation until I can get it down and have a look at it.

GeeEmm:
Update time!

Mast came down today, WH40 removed, cleaned, new battery, re-registered on the console.  It connected for a few minutes, and then disappeared again, and nothing I did would bring it back again.  :sad:

I have emailed Ecowitt about this, and the occasional temperature spikes on one of my WH32s.

The WH40 badly needed a clean, I have now installed the ring of spikes so hopefully that will deter the birds from using it as a loo!  In any event I now have a mechanism for easily lowering the mast so cleaning and battery replacement should not be a big hassle.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version