Weather Station Hardware > Rainwise Weather Stations

MK-III Locks up when temps hover around 0F

(1/3) > >>

ajay:
I'm curious to know if anyone else has ever experienced this...

The RainWise MK-III stops transmitting/locks up ONLY when temperatures fall below 0F, then rise above 0F. By physically power cycling the MK-III (toggle switch), the unit recovers and continues to work. It seems to be related to temperatures hovering around the 0F mark. (I've had temperatures fall to -36F here and the unit continues to work. It's only when temperatures hover around 0F that this problems seems to occur.)

This has been an ongoing problem with this weather station for years. At first I thought it could be related to low voltage/battery power, but I've replaced the solar panel with a 9V DC power supply that continuously feeds power to the MK-III. It still happens. The only way to fix the problem is by power cycling the outdoor unit (MK-III).

Any ideas?

Thanks!

VaJim:
Is this the LR model?

My guess is either a low battery (which you've already checked) or perhaps the 9V DC power supply connection.  I hope you get it figured out.

ajay:
Thanks for the reply. Since I did post this, I went through 2 years worth of records and found that it always occurs when temperatures are at or slightly below 0F. At 20F below, the problem never occurs. This would seem to rule out any power related issues considering that lower temperatures would make batteries less efficient and more likely to fail. Also, once the unit is power-cycled it continues to run w/o error.

It would seem more likely that this problem is related to firmware or a particular processing bug in one of the motherboard's processors.

It's a very strange problem but it seems to rule out any power related issue.

ajay:
Here we are one year later...

Here's what's been replaced on this unit (and it still fails when temps fall below zero.)
-- Battery
-- Antenna
-- Temperature / Humidity Sensor

I also replaced the solar panel with a power supply providing constant voltage to the unit. The symptoms have never changed. It only goes to all dashes when temperatures fall below 0F and usually in a range of 0F to -10F. When temperatures fall below -10F it continues to work.

To fix the problem I have to go out to the main unit and power cycle it. Then it works...for a while depending what the temperature does.

It seems as if this might be a logic issue with the firmware. I have had this station now for over 5 years. It has failed every winter when temperatures go below 0F, otherwise it works perfectly. Because it is so intermittent in nature, I have only been able to reduce the variables down now to the mother board. It's out of warranty and I'm not sure how much Rainwise will charge for a replacement motherboard. I have a call into them and will report back on how this gets resolved.

zeppline:
Have you tried jumping the power switch could be a bad switch.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version