Weather Station Hardware > Oregon Scientific Hardware

'Cheap' Rain Collector Heater - Ideas - Plans - Tests

<< < (2/20) > >>

MoradaWx:
anthony,try this

http://www.victoryseeds.com/weather/rainguage.html

rick

SLOweather:
Just do the math, Anthony. To get 4x the resolution, you need 4x the collection area. Measure the diameter of yours, divide by 2 to get the radius, square that, and then multiply by pi (3.14).

That's the area you have now.

Multiply it by 4. That's the new collection area.

Divide by pi. Take the square root. Double it. That's the diameter of the new collector. Find a funnel that big or bigger at the top. Cut it down to fit, top and bottom. Glue it together.

If you want to, post the diameter. I'll do the math. :)

Chris

--- Quote from: Anthony on December 12, 2008, 06:56:01 PM ---Can't wait to see your design. But what I would really like to do is modify my guage to read in 0.01" instead of 0.04". And that infor was unfoutunately on the old forum. If any one here happens to have that info would you please post it and I can make the topic sticky. (I think).

--- End quote ---

Anthony:
rick, thats exactly what I was looking for. Thanks. How much of the tip did you end up cutting off? Just visualizing. I would think it would be almost all of it.

chris, when I get a funnel and get ready to install and do the gain in vws. I may give you a shout.

This is something I've wanted to do ever since I saw the post at Ambient. I've just never done it. Keep hoping for that new weather station.

MoradaWx:
Anthony, I never did do anything with it, but I had saved the link for future use.  Then along came my Davis.

Rick

sam2004gp:
Hey guys and Anthony, just chiming in real quick, and then have lots to do before the end of the day.  I still have the latter up beside my rain gauge, doing post install testing. 

{....And I just got done editing the rain numbers in VWS, to remove the "false rain" from messing around the unit today acidentally triggering .75 inches.   :mad: :mad: :mad: ](*,) ](*,) :evil: :evil: :evil: #-o #-o #-o #-o   As you all know that is not a fun procedure, but I finally understand how to do it.  If you go to my site and look in the Daily Reports you will see the hole in the data.  Too bad I can't get it out of Wunderground.  I also wish there was a way to ignore or turn off the rain gauges readings with a flick of the switch while you tinker with it, without disassembling your outside hardware.}

While I was up there 10 mintues ago checking my heater temps, I measured the funnel for you anthony.  Our funnel has an Exact inside diameter of  3 7/8 inches or 3.875.  So doing the math mentioned about to get a resolution of 0.01 inches of rain, you need now need a collection funnel of 7.7489 inches or 7 3/4.

My math:
(Our diameter)3.875 divide by 2 = 1.9375
1.9375^2(squared)=3.7529375
3.7229375 x 3.14(pi)=11.78422375=current area

11.78422375 x (0.04{current resolution} divide by 0.01{desired resoltuion} which is 4)=47.1368
47.1368 divided by 3.14(pi) = 15.01175
Square root(15.01175) = 3.87449996
38744996 x 2 = 7.7499992

So you will need to find a funnel that basically measures 7 3/4 inches across. \:D/

Oh and thanks guys now my wife will be mad at me, wanting to go shopping with her and bring a ruler along to measure funnel diameters. :oops: :shock:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version