Author Topic: US ISS and EU ISS  (Read 873 times)

Offline ecosset4

• www.marinaoman.net
US ISS and EU ISS
« on: June 04, 2021, 08:59:12 AM »
Me again!!!

Got an EU console was very proud of it and looking forward to getting my middle east station on line.......but not in US!!! (Long story from other threads).

US console is picking up the ISS no issue but match the station umber to the EU console and it doesn't pick up.  I figure the ISS for EU must transmit on different Fq.  Before I throw more money at this is there any way to change the transmitter to EU setting or must I buy the EU transmitter?

I have been on ebay.co.uk and find transmitters but many are shipped from US!  Is there a EU specific part number.

Any help guidance and persuasion much appreciated.

CHeers

Offline broadstairs

• Forecaster
Re: US ISS and EU ISS
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2021, 09:10:24 AM »
Yes EU ISSs transmit on a different frequency from the USA ISSs. You must match the ISS origin to the console origin, neither console or ISS can be changed. You are left with either using the USA console ore buying an EU ISS! The supplier will be able to confirm what frequency you order. Yes the have different numbers but I'm not sure what they are.

Stuart
Ecowitt GW1003 with ultrasonic wind gauge, lightning sensor and PM2.5 sensor with Personal Weather Tablet as a console.

Offline ecosset4

• www.marinaoman.net
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2021, 09:38:14 AM »
Gawd it gets worse.

Went on ebay and it has told me i already bought an EU transmitter!!!!

Then I check my messages in other thread where I announce I have an EU transmitter........I was then guided to go and use a terminal emulator on US console which I gave up on................................................and bought EU console.

How can I check the ISS is indeed implanted with EU PCB.  Is there a differnce in numbers???

Thanks - embarrassed

Offline mcrossley

• Forecaster
    • Wilmslow Astro
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2021, 01:21:35 PM »
That is not correct, you can change the console frequency - if you have a data logger for it?
Mark

Offline broadstairs

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2021, 01:37:08 PM »
Mark how does that work?  I was led to believe it could not be done as it's more than f/w.

Stuart
Ecowitt GW1003 with ultrasonic wind gauge, lightning sensor and PM2.5 sensor with Personal Weather Tablet as a console.

Online johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2021, 01:53:23 PM »
Mark how does that work?  I was led to believe it could not be done as it's more than f/w.

It's not officially sanctioned and so the official answer is that it can't be done. But there is a mechanism using a particular API instruction (that's now been removed from the documentation IIRC) and so the unofficial answer is that it is possible. But you need to know the instruction and how to use it.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline mcrossley

• Forecaster
    • Wilmslow Astro
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2021, 04:23:16 PM »
The ISS cannot be changed, but the console can.

As John says though, it is unofficial, at the users risk, and will invalidate any warranty you may have. I wouldn't do it if you are not technically competent either, but you just have to send some commands via a terminal emulator then power cycle the console. And then blame yourself if you "brick" the console.  #-o

Having said that I converted one of my consoles from US to EU frequency without any issue.
Mark

Offline F4AAG

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2021, 08:50:12 AM »
Hi,
I try to send any command to change the frequency (US -> EU) with a Terminal (Putty), but the Com port is not available. Only the USBXpress is ready (No Com x) in the peripheral manager Win10. Could you help me ? Thanks
Weather Station Under construction with VP2

Offline mcrossley

• Forecaster
    • Wilmslow Astro
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2021, 05:41:12 PM »
Iirc you have to use the WeatherLink Windows program to change the logger mode from USBexpress to COM port.
Mark

Offline F4AAG

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2021, 03:13:54 AM »
Hi,
My problem is not for the communication between weatherlink and VP2 but between Putty and VP2. This is related to the previous publication
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=18614.0

Thanks

Online johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2021, 03:34:22 AM »
If the logger is not in serial/VCP mode then you won't get a connection via PuTTY. WL for Windows (or rather the utility installed along with it) provides a way of switching away from USBXpress to serial/VCP mode.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline F4AAG

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2021, 03:53:48 AM »
I am looking for a driver on https://www.silabs.com/ , but nothing can mount a new Com Port with the UsbXpress device.

Online johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2021, 04:45:30 AM »
I am looking for a driver on https://www.silabs.com/ , but nothing can mount a new Com Port with the UsbXpress device.

You do seem to be making life difficult for yourself. Just install the (free) Weatherlink for Windows program and you'll get the utility - forget SiLabs. You will need a Windows PC of course, but once you can get to that stage then gettong WL for Windows is simple enough. See eg:

https://www.manula.com/manuals/pws/davis-kb/1/en/topic/download-weatherlink-program
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline F4AAG

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2021, 06:57:13 AM »
Many thanks for this excellent web site !!  [tup]
I will certainly find the necessary information to solve this problem.

Thanks