Author Topic: Please help me with my first PWS choice  (Read 743 times)

Offline johnmw1

Please help me with my first PWS choice
« on: May 30, 2021, 08:29:07 PM »
Hi,

Have been wanting to set up my own pws for quite some time now and have always looked at the Vantage Pro series but to be honest they are way out of my price range. I should also mention that I'm in Australia and anything we buy here locally seems to double in price.

Ecowitt & PanTech seemed to be highly regarded here in Australia which from my readings are made by Fine Offset? There is also a local brand made by Holman and is sold nationally thru Bunnings hardware although in the specs it states that it operates its RF frequency at 917Mhz which I did not think was legal given we are at 433Mhz?

I have been looking at 2 models, 1 each from both Ecowitt and PanTech.

The Ecowitt HP2553 Large Display Wi-Fi Weather Station with Ultrasonic Anemometer Sensor Package and Self-Emptying Rain Gauge Sensor at $435.99Au and the PanTech PT-HP2553 Wifi Ultrasonic Weather Station Wireless Solar Power UV at $435.95Au reduced from $622.79Au.

Personally, to my untrained eye, I cannot see much difference between them, but I'm hoping someone with a lot more knowledge than me can point out any shortcomings with either of them. Is it a good idea to be heading in the ultrasonic direction?

https://www.ecowitt.com/shop/goodsDetail/4
https://www.floralivings.com.au/collections/electronics-gadgets-other-electronics-weather-meters/products/10020011069190-1

Probably a few more questions yet to answer and ask, but this is a beginning?

Cheers,
John

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: Please help me with my first PWS choice
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2021, 11:44:33 PM »
The silver case with the tacky logo is the only difference. I'd go for the Ecowitt just because of that.

As for ultrasonic versus traditional anemometer is a toss up. There are pros and cons of each. Search/Read the forum and you'll learn what these things are.

Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole