Author Topic: Copper mast pole  (Read 385 times)

Offline Growler

Copper mast pole
« on: December 14, 2021, 01:07:30 PM »
Hello all, I purchased an Ambient Weather station WS-2902C garage sale. A local scrap yard has a 1-1/2 x 10' copper pipe. The price is a good deal but I'm concerned about lightning. It would be mounted to a 4 x 4 fence post and the total height will be 14'. If I use it I would like to ground it with 8 ga stranded aluminum wire and a 4' piece of steel rebar I have. I live in the Pacific North West and lighting is rare but we do get a few storms that produce some. Is my idea safe? I'm a sparktrician and not an electrician so any input would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Offline jackman

• Senior Contributor
    • Echo Pines WX Station
Re: Copper mast pole
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2021, 01:22:23 PM »
Here's my thoughts as an EE. I wouldn't bother putting in the rebar and wire. If the lightning strikes your station it's going to ground regardless of the wire and rebar stake. Don't expect the station or the fence post to survive. I would question whether the copper pipe is strong enough to support the wind loading without folding over in a gale force gust. I'd prefer to use a galvanized steel pipe instead.

Offline Growler

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2021, 01:28:12 PM »
The copper pipe is type L and the rigid type. Any idea on a correct way to ground on the cheap or get a grounding kit from the hardware store?

Offline jackman

• Senior Contributor
    • Echo Pines WX Station
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2021, 01:56:16 PM »
The copper pipe is type L and the rigid type. Any idea on a correct way to ground on the cheap or get a grounding kit from the hardware store?
Using the rebar and wire clamped to the pipe and stake will certainly work. I use a 4' rebar pounded into the ground with about 6" exposed. Hopefully, your ground is soft enough now to make it easy. You can get the grounding clamps at any of the big box home centers.

Offline Growler

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2021, 04:30:06 PM »
Thanks Jackman!

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2021, 04:44:43 PM »
AS far as the strength of the copper pipe, remember the old trick of putting a wooden dowel or round piece of wood in the center of a pipe of any sort to give it a lot of strength and flexibility (to a small degree) which has worked well for me with both plastic and smaller diameter copper pipe.

I'd put a clamp on the bottom of the pipe on the pole, a couple pieces of Romex 12 gauge to run to the top of a rebar or copper coated ground rod from the same big box store you got the clamps from and you'd be in great shape.

The copper pipe is a  nice thing; if you shine it up with steel wood, and then tape off the area you will be affixing the clamp to before spraying it with some clear coat Krylon or other protective spray, it might approach being a work of art.
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline Growler

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2021, 05:27:50 PM »
Thanks Dale for the advice!

anything