Author Topic: VP2 excessive random rain  (Read 432 times)

Offline duncans

VP2 excessive random rain
« on: June 02, 2021, 05:29:10 AM »
Hi WXForum, looking for some help please.

My ageing VP2 wireless has started to throw out some very odd rain data. Random spikes of very high rainfall with rates in excess of 1000 mm/hr and daily total in excess of 600 mm. No, it's not raining :-)

Suspected a bad reed switch, so swapped that out, no joy. Suspected a bad sensor, so swapped the tipping bucket for the new single bucket, no joy. Now suspect a bad PCB..

Has anyone had a similar experience and hopefully a fix?

Thanks.

Mfg Code A41120A69
Firmware April 10 2006

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
Re: VP2 excessive random rain
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2021, 06:15:39 AM »
That is one of the very first VP2's so it wouldn't be too surprising if the SIM board is starting to show its age after 16-17 years.

You've tried the most obvious fixes, but you need to be 100% sure that there's no moisture able to get into rain gauge plug/socket on the SIM board. Even if the weather is currently dry then moisture that has penetrated into the socket can take a while to evaporate.

But yes, failing that then the SIM board is the next most likely cause. I don't know what else you might have replaced in the interim, but if it's not much then I'd be quite tempted to look at a new VP2 ISS rather than just replacing the SIM board. The ISS units do last well, but that's not quite the same as forever.

No chance I suppose that you could be picking up someone else's ISS nearby? Always worth changing the transmit channel just to double-check.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's dedicated Davis EnviroMonitor website
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Littleport, Ely, Cambs UK

Sorry, but I can't help with individual issues by email. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline dcaysinger

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2021, 06:38:09 AM »

No chance I suppose that you could be picking up someone else's ISS nearby? Always worth changing the transmit channel just to double-check.

Changing the channel on mine solved some very strange behavior with my solar and wind sensors.  There was interference in the neighborhood. 

Offline duncans

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2021, 07:22:04 AM »
OK - Transmitter ID changed and RJ contacts cleaned. I'll let you know what happens.

Offline wxman91

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2021, 08:25:42 PM »
OK - Transmitter ID changed and RJ contacts cleaned. I'll let you know what happens.

Any luck with this?  I'm also getting similar strange rainfall readings.  It has happened a couple of times recently.  It has not rained today, let alone a 14.4" rate and >200".

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline doubleohwhatever

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2021, 10:29:24 PM »
Have you removed the rain bucket and checked for pests around the tipping spoon(s)?

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2021, 03:22:11 AM »
Have you removed the rain bucket and checked for pests around the tipping spoon(s)?

Exactly, Seen many Davis rain gauges getting 3 frogs to the litre  :shock:

Offline wxman91

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2021, 03:38:57 PM »

There was some gunk on the pins where the ethernet cable attaches.  Cleaned that out with rubbing alcohol.  Has worked so far today so we'll see if it holds.

Offline duncans

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2021, 05:34:03 PM »
Still getting bad rain data :-(. I have tried all the channels and cleaning the pins. Next step is soldering on a new RJ connector. After that, itís a new ISS module I think.

Oh and no frogs  [tup]