Author Topic: Help with locating best mounting options for VP2+  (Read 287 times)

Offline GlynH

Help with locating best mounting options for VP2+
« on: June 01, 2021, 07:01:52 PM »
Apologies for the flurry of posts but I'm always like this when I discover something new to play with!  8-)

The time has come to install my VP2+ and realise whichever way I go it will be a compromise.

My first instinct was to mount the complete ISS including the anemometer on the chimney to replace an old, non-working Watson/Fine Offset device as an easy, all-in-one solution although this is not the optimum location and would necessitate my getting the ladders out every 12 months or so to maintain it and replace the battery which at a fat, unhealthy 61 years of age I do not look forward to any more!  :lol:

I could probably get by with mounting the ISS in the back garden but am limited by where it can go.

I would not want to stick a pole in the middle of my astroturf nor into my patterned imprinted concrete to be honest so the only place left would be attached to a pole mounted to a fence post. Again I am limited to which side as one of my neighbours has kids which would think nothing of kicking a football at it, emptying the contents of their paddling pool over it or beating it to death with a stick!  :-x

I do plan to put an aluminium antenna tower to the far left corner of my garage at some point which might be ideal for the anemometer but only if I cut down a neighbours tree first which I'm loathe to do.

So my question is which mounting option should I go for?

I am tempted to separate them and put the anemometer on the chimney but run the cable inside the loft into a second 6332 Multi Sensor Transmitter and as the solar panel will be in the dark power it with a second 6625 PSU. I have read conflicting reports of how best to do this where it is recommended to either take the 3v Lithium battery out if using the PSU or leave it in to act as a failsafe in the event of power failure.

Both suggestions can't be right!  :?

This way the anemometer is in the optimum location and I don't have to worry about getting up on the roof to replace the battery.

The ISS mounted to the fence post although it will make access so much easier and arguably better performance than being up on the roof is not optimal as it would be partly above concrete on my side of the fence and might be subject to drafts coming down the side of the house which is probably not ideal but giving me a naturally aspirated radiation shield!

Decisions, decisions.

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]