Author Topic: anemometer extension material?  (Read 773 times)

Offline Will_Astle

• WV Eastern Panhandle Weather
anemometer extension material?
« on: May 20, 2021, 08:14:17 AM »

Howdy all...

I just upgraded from the Acurite 5 in 1 i've had for YEARS to a brand new 7 in 1 Atlas with the lightning detector AND the anemometer extension.  My question:

The documentation says that I can extend the anemometer up 30 feet.  Anyone doing this yet and if so what are you using to raise the anemometer? PVC? metal?

thanks!

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
Re: anemometer extension material?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2021, 10:02:12 AM »
I have a metal mast.  I went to Radio Shack while it was in business and got their metal mast pole. But you can mount it on most everything except plastic.  Metal - steel or being mounted on something sturdy is what you want.  You have to figure that sway, strong winds can bend the pole.  So I would go with steel or something sturdy.

Offline vreihen

• El Niņo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2021, 11:57:40 AM »
I have a few left over from fence install. Powder-coated black. Very nice looking in black.

Offline NHSA

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2021, 01:08:13 PM »

Howdy all...

I just upgraded from the Acurite 5 in 1 i've had for YEARS to a brand new 7 in 1 Atlas with the lightning detector AND the anemometer extension.  My question:

The documentation says that I can extend the anemometer up 30 feet.  Anyone doing this yet and if so what are you using to raise the anemometer? PVC? metal?

thanks!

Hi,

I got an Atlas a week ago and here you can see my extension. It is only 2.8 meters ~ 9feet and I used 2 antena masts from home depot each 1.4 meters long as that is what I got here in Mexico. The base is a Rainwise tripod from my old weather station.

https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=42025.0

Offline jjh92

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2021, 07:24:36 AM »
I used 2 10' poles to get the anemometer up 17'.  Here's my install post:  https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=36585.msg375986#msg375986.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2021, 12:24:25 PM »
I use a flag pole to mount my 5n1 and Atlas wind sensor. At the top I clamped the appropriate size pole for each. You could use metal or plastic because they will be short. I like the flag pole because it is easy to take down to do cleaning since it is in 5 ft sections that are very light.

Offline Bashy

• brecklandweather.com/meteo
  • Forecaster
  • brecklandweather.com/index.php
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2021, 11:16:01 PM »
Whilst i have a Davis, its mounted on a 33ft (10m) aluminum telescopic mast, can't fault a telescopic for maintenance...
Kind regards
Bashy