Author Topic: VP2 Data sending different data to Console and WLL  (Read 1338 times)

Offline Padnandos

• Kildare Weather
VP2 Data sending different data to Console and WLL
« on: March 09, 2021, 04:00:23 PM »
Hi there,

i recently upgraded to a vp2 wireless with console and WLL. The trouble is that the console and the WLL software are picking up different gusts of wind from the ISS.

For example a gust could read 56KMH on the console and the same gust would register as 64KMH. Is there anyway to rectify this because im struggling to believe which screen is telling me the correct speed!

regards

Pad

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
Re: VP2 Data sending different data to Console and WLL
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2021, 04:07:28 PM »
For example a gust could read 56KMH on the console and the same gust would register as 64KMH. I
May be complete coincidence, but 56 knots is 64 MPH.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2021, 04:09:23 PM »
That's a bit odd TBH. It's not uncommon to see occasional small differences for various reasons, but 8km/h is more than small. But I think we need some more background information. Exactly where are you seeing the differences. Is the console reading on the console display or via software and if so which software? And ditto for the WLL data.

NB I presume that these readings are coming from exactly the same anemometer/transmitter?
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Padnandos

• Kildare Weather
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2021, 04:13:14 PM »
Oh never though of that  :lol:

No but seriously units are displayed and entered as kmh :)

Offline Padnandos

• Kildare Weather
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2021, 04:17:35 PM »
That's a bit odd TBH. It's not uncommon to see occasional small differences for various reasons, but 8km/h is more than small. But I think we need some more background information. Exactly where are you seeing the differences. Is the console reading on the console display or via software and if so which software? And ditto for the WLL data.

NB I presume that these readings are coming from exactly the same anemometer/transmitter?

Indeed. Some other gusts would have smaller differences in speed too though. Well looking at my console highs for the day and it shows 58kmh as highest gust. While the WLL app/software shows 64kmh as my highest gust.

I use WLL as my only software. :)

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2021, 05:10:00 PM »
Indeed. Some other gusts would have smaller differences in speed too though. Well looking at my console highs for the day and it shows 58kmh as highest gust. While the WLL app/software shows 64kmh as my highest gust.

Well, WLL is hardware not software, but presumably you mean the HiLow shown on the Bulletin page at weatherlink.com? Is the clock on the console definitely accurately set? And the correct timezone for the station on wl.com?
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Padnandos

• Kildare Weather
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2021, 07:05:25 PM »

Well, WLL is hardware not software, but presumably you mean the HiLow shown on the Bulletin page at weatherlink.com? Is the clock on the console definitely accurately set? And the correct timezone for the station on wl.com?

Yup the hi and low shown on the bulletin page. I will check for sure in the morning but the clocks are set correctly I’m sure.

Offline Padnandos

• Kildare Weather
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2021, 03:51:08 AM »

Could it be a signal issue on the Weatherlink live modem? I went into the 'Health Data' and the wifi Rssi is showing as -81.

The note says that "Below -90 is considered weak"

Looking at the high gust today so far the WLL has high gust of 47kmh at midnight while the console is showing the highest of 32kmh at 01:00 even though it has a gust if 42kmh at midnight. This is so confusing.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 04:21:56 AM by Padnandos »

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2021, 06:23:52 AM »
-81 is above -90 not below it (it's less negative)!

If the clocks and timezone are 100% correct then are you sure you're not receiving two separate anemometers on the two devices. Maybe an old one that you haven't disabled or a neighbour's one maybe?
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline Padnandos

• Kildare Weather
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2021, 06:26:49 AM »
-81 is above -90 not below it (it's less negative)!

If the clocks and timezone are 100% correct then are you sure you're not receiving two separate anemometers on the two devices. Maybe an old one that you haven't disabled or a neighbour's one maybe?

Yeah there is an old Vue (an american one(frequency)) going to an american vue console in my garden too. But the VP2 is a EU/UK version so the frequencies hardly conflict?

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2021, 10:10:16 AM »
OK, so have you definitely got the WLL location set correctly at weatherlink.com? ie does it appear at the right place on the wl.com map?
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline Padnandos

• Kildare Weather
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2021, 10:13:45 AM »
OK, so have you definitely got the WLL location set correctly at weatherlink.com? ie does it appear at the right place on the wl.com map?

Well on the map the pinpoint for my station is located in the field beside my house.My station is in my garden so there wouldnt be much difference in the distance. Curious how it would effect readings?  :-)

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2021, 10:20:52 AM »
Well on the map the pinpoint for my station is located in the field beside my house.My station is in my garden so there wouldnt be much difference in the distance. Curious how it would effect readings?  :-)

It doesn't need to be exact, but wanted to check that it wasn't showing as in the US for example.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline Padnandos

• Kildare Weather
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2021, 10:39:47 AM »

It doesn't need to be exact, but wanted to check that it wasn't showing as in the US for example.

Aye so have i tried everything?

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2021, 11:20:11 AM »
If you continue consistently to see such significant discrepancies in max wind speed then that's not normal and there's some unexplained aspect of your set-up. As it happens, I've got a similar set-up running in front of me right now and console and WLL on the wl.com Bulletin are agreeing to within 1mph. Assuming all your checks on units, datetime/tz & location settings etc are correct then best guess is that one of the receivers is picking up a signal from a different anemometer.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline Padnandos

• Kildare Weather
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2021, 11:39:09 AM »
If you continue consistently to see such significant discrepancies in max wind speed then that's not normal and there's some unexplained aspect of your set-up. As it happens, I've got a similar set-up running in front of me right now and console and WLL on the wl.com Bulletin are agreeing to within 1mph. Assuming all your checks on units, datetime/tz & location settings etc are correct then best guess is that one of the receivers is picking up a signal from a different anemometer.

Perhaps i switch the ID of the VP2 to a different one. But theres no way a US VUE would interfere with an EU VP2?

Offline Padnandos

• Kildare Weather
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2021, 03:32:05 PM »
ISS is sending higher gusts to the WLL than the Console.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2021, 03:49:17 PM »

No that's impossible. An ISS just broadcasts its data for any receiver to pick up. It doesn't have any idea which receiver is within wireless range.

What's not impossible is for the console to be missing some of the broadcast data and so it could in principle miss some of the higher gust values. One possible reason would be if the ISS signal at the console were relatively weak. You might want to check out the wireless diagnostics.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline Padnandos

• Kildare Weather
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2021, 03:55:44 PM »

No that's impossible. An ISS just broadcasts its data for any receiver to pick up. It doesn't have any idea which receiver is within wireless range.

What's not impossible is for the console to be missing some of the broadcast data and so it could in principle miss some of the higher gust values. One possible reason would be if the ISS signal at the console were relatively weak. You might want to check out the wireless diagnostics.

Yes im just checking the wireless diagnostics and it says 100% Good Packets and the signal strength of the last packet received is in the 40's.

Would my american VUE be interfering with my EU VP2?