Author Topic: Old Oregon Scientific Experiment  (Read 375 times)

Offline 757wx

Old Oregon Scientific Experiment
« on: January 28, 2021, 10:47:07 AM »
Hello everybody. This is my first time posting here, and I was hoping somebody could help me out or point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance!

While recently cleaning out some storage space at work (I work at a landscape company/ nursery), I came across an old but unopened Oregon Scientific WMR80. Being the weather nerd that I am, I convinced the crew that we needed it installed on the farm in order to take the nursery to the next level. Of course, this was before I looked into the model and realized just how dated and basic it was, with no connectivity options. It will be nice to use the main display console in the office, but the PWS will only really be useful if I can figure out a way to connect it to the internet.

One thought I had was to try to track down a display console from a newer Oregon Scientific unit that does have connection capabilities, but these appear to be difficult to find and I have no idea if this would even work. Are there any possible ways to connect an old WMR80 to the internet?

I have a feeling there is a way to do it, but it may not be worth the effort? Ideally, I would order a new and improved PWS from the many options available instead, but I would like to get this "free" station up and running first so that I can prove its usefulness and hopefully convince the company checkbook to invest in a better PWS in the future.

Thanks again for any tips or thoughts!

Andrew