Author Topic: Vantage Vue firmware 3.72  (Read 3968 times)

Offline kIya

Vantage Vue firmware 3.72
« on: February 23, 2019, 11:00:41 AM »
Been trying to sort this out but a lot of these posts are older...

I have Cumulus up and running great on WIN10 64 using the Davis serial (USB) logger.  Separately I was also able to successfully get a Raspberry PI running Weewx connected to my Davis data logger.

Is there any working solution to allow me to run both Cumulus and Weewx  simultaneously??

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
Re: Vantage Vue firmware 3.72
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2019, 11:11:06 AM »
VVP is no longer being developed but is still available to download and did work on previous Windows http://www.softwx.com/weather/virtualvp.html

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline kIya

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2019, 04:11:01 PM »
Thanks PaulMy!  I have successfully connected Virtual VP to my logger on COM 3, then Cumulus to one of the virtual TCP/IP ports in VP.
Now I cant seem to get weewx from the Raspberry to connect with one of the other virtual TCP/IP ports in VP.
In VP it seems I only have 2 IP' available for the virtual TCP/IP ports, 127.0.0.1 and 10.0.0.78 port 5512.
I tried configuring weewx for both ip's but no luck yet...   I can ping the Raspberry from the host PC running VP

What might I be missing???

Update, I did notice an error in the log when launching weewx,  " Vantage: Socket error opening port 22222 to ethernet host 127.0.0.1"

Update 2, I updated the weewx.conf file and VP to use 10.0.078  5512 and established a connection!  However after weewx is moving further along it now stops and says..

Vantage: IP read error: Timed out    VP is connected too and seems to be sending to weewx fine but can not hear back.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 05:52:21 PM by kIya »

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2019, 05:29:38 PM »
VVP is no longer being developed but is still available to download and did work on previous Windows http://www.softwx.com/weather/virtualvp.html

Enjoy,
Paul

Every time I see this-it makes me depressed. Such a good idea. It would be nice if someone could get a source code and update it.

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline kIya

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2019, 05:54:57 PM »
Oh boy,  that don't sound good...  I thought was on a roll...

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 05:58:43 PM by kIya »

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2019, 11:35:13 PM »
You're very welcome.
I don't believe the 30-day message will be an issue as it can no longer be registered and should continue as is.  Hope you find a way to make it work for you.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline gwminor48

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2019, 07:36:22 AM »
@kIya did you have to install com0com to get that working?
Davis Vantage Vue
Weather Display
Wunderground: KTXRICHA35
CWOP: FW4622
AWEKAS: 15385

Offline Joel

• PWS Lobbes
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2019, 10:39:12 AM »
You're very welcome.
I don't believe the 30-day message will be an issue as it can no longer be registered and should continue as is.  Hope you find a way to make it work for you.

Enjoy,
Paul

The current version can be registered with the following values :
VirtualVP Serial #
VirtualVP Key
G8JW-JC7V-MBGZ

Offline kIya

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2019, 10:57:26 AM »
I have not yet tried installing "com0com",   should I ??   

At this point I am stuck with weewx stopping during the boot process with the following message...

Engine: Starting main packet loop
  Vantage: IP Read error : Timed out

Raspberry reconfigured for serial connection and connected directly to the data logger and weemx boots up and runs fine

WIN10 64
Vantage Vue  firmware 3.72
Serial Data Logger connected to host pc via USB
Virtual VP on host pc connection to the console via COM 3
Cumulus on host pc connected to Virtual VP by virtual TCP/IP port (working)
weewx   running on Raspberry connected to host PC via ethernet cable  (not working)

Offline kIya

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2019, 11:06:38 AM »
Thought I would toss this out there as well...

Offline kIya

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2019, 02:25:54 PM »
Well, time for a break..   I got this far with both Cumulus and Weather link running fine together, who knows for how long...
Weewx shows connected but actually never seems to fully boot and gets stuck with that   Vantage : Ip read error : Timed out

Offline kIya

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2019, 06:52:22 PM »
Just ordered a Serial to USB adapter, going to try connecting the Pi to Virtual VP that way next...

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2019, 09:56:55 AM »
Maybe someone else can chime in here, but I think a part of the problem is related to LOOP2 commands.  IIRC, VVP doesn't handle them correctly.  Which is why people had to leave it.

I think there is a spot in Cumulus where you can disable LOOP2 commands.  You can maybe try that.

I wish VVP still worked.  Even if it was just with IP communications.  I'd still be using it.
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline kIya

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2019, 05:58:49 PM »
I did find this on the Cumulus MX site...

The LOOP2 packet is supported on the VP2 with firmware version 1.90 or later, and on the Vue. If you have a Vantage Pro (i.e. the original 'VP1'), or a VP2 with pre-1.90 firmware, or if you are using Virtual VP, none of these support the LOOP2 packet. In these cases, you should edit cumulus.ini and add a line to the [Station] section:

UseDavisLoop2=0

Not sure how this will help with connecting VVP to Weewx on the RPI,   I have Cumulus currently and  seemingly connected fine to VVP with the IP option.

I know my RPI rig running Weewx plugged directly into the logger runs great so Weewx can handle the Davis data stream through a serial connection.   it's getting it to work over ethernet that is eluding me for now.  If VVP was the culprate, wouldn't I have similar issues connecting to Weatherlink and Cumulus as well??