Author Topic: Vantage Pro 2 ISS SIM Board REV E 2  (Read 1536 times)

Offline srpawski

Vantage Pro 2 ISS SIM Board REV E 2
« on: June 28, 2014, 11:54:47 PM »
Any ideas what the difference is between REV E and REV E2 ISS transmitter boards, both being the 2009 version of the board?  The logic chip has a 2.0 on it on the REV E 2 board.  I purchased my Pro 2 in April 2009 and it has the REV E.  I just purchased a new ISS from Scaled Instruments and the new one shows this REV E 2.0.  There is a definite layout change to the board, but appears to house the same capacitor that likes to leak and cause for the need of replacement as it has prompted me to replace my unit.  This also happened to me last year with my anemometer transmitter board, that the capacitor leaked and caused it to stop working after 4 years.  Both the last year replaced anemometer transmitter board and the ISS I am replacing were purchased in 2009.  I am not sure if the new anemometer transmitter board on last years replaced unit has the same REV E 2.0 board that this new ISS does.  I will check tomorrow.

Offline srpawski

Re: Vantage Pro 2 ISS SIM Board REV E 2
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 02:11:25 PM »
My bad.  The old ISS has the 2004 board in it.  What are the differences between these boards?

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
Re: Vantage Pro 2 ISS SIM Board REV E 2
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 02:45:23 PM »
My bad.  The old ISS has the 2004 board in it.  What are the differences between these boards?

TBH I doubt that anyone outside of Davis knows - it's not information that's publicised even to dealers. Also, I suspect what you're looking at is the PCB layout revision, which can be updated for any number of reasons, eg to do with component specifications/sources changing over time or eg trying different ways of fixing the supercap as much as for functional reasons. What changes there are tend to happen in the ISS firmware (not user upgradable); for example the original 2004/5 firmware (v1.6 was it?) did not support the digital T/H sensors, only analogue.

If you look at the Envoy8X WDTU database schema you'll find fields for various technical details that are not obviously supported by a standard VP2 console/logger - things like supercap voltage IIRC. Last time I looked (some time ago) these weren't being populated, but presumably at some point a SIM board revision will enable them. If you look at a new VP2 station box you'll find a label on the outside that spells out the current ISS revision level, but I don't have one in front of me right now to quote from.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.