Author Topic: I think it's finally time...  (Read 2416 times)

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
I think it's finally time...
« on: October 22, 2011, 07:55:33 AM »
I think my Vue battery is finally going out. It's been in there 2 years this month so I guess that isn't too bad!

Twice now I've had --- on the console for the outside stuff and no antenna displaying on the console. It's always early morning and the last time it came back after sunrise. I'm going to watch it this morning and see what it does. I still have good data coming in so that's what had me a little confused. Both VWS and WD still seem to have valid data and the data on my web page appears to be correct and changing. It is in the 35-40 degree range this morning so the cold might have a little to do with it if it is the battery.

Right now it only shows 26% packet reception. I was thinking maybe the ISS transmitter voltage was getting low. I haven't seen any low voltage message on the console.

Two questions:
1. Any thoughts?
2. I can't find the battery specs for the ISS, does anyone have that? I need to go out today and get one.

Thanks in advance guys!

Offline jmcmurry

• Jim McMurry
  • Forecaster
  • Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus Wireless.
    • Juneau County Weather
Re: I think it's finally time...
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2011, 07:59:53 AM »
Steve,

Search the forum for CR123 and you'll find all kinds of info about them.

- Jim

Forum Search and Google Can be Your Best Friends

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2011, 08:01:35 AM »
Thanks Jim. I was just reading a post about the VP2 and they use that battery too. I'm assuming most of the newer Davis products share that battery.

Thanks again!

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2011, 08:57:39 AM »
Came back once the sun came up. Gotta be the battery. How long can an ISS run off the supercap alone? Almost overnight?  :grin:

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2011, 09:00:50 AM »
BTW, I was flatlined on the data...

Offline wxtech

• Weather Equipment Technician
  • Forecaster
  • USAF Weather Equipment Maintenance Tech (retired)
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2011, 09:54:02 AM »
The VP2 will run without a battery.  The sun charges the supercap and that sustains operation all night.
You  may have problems with the supercap. 
I just became a member of the Vantage Vue Owners Club yesterday.  I haven't opened the case yet.  So I don't know about the circuitry in the Vue.
BTW, I'm using the VP2 console with the Vue ISS. 
Al Washington, Lexington, Ga.,  NWS Coop station=LXTG1, Fischer Porter, SRG, MMTS. 
CoCoRaHS=GA-OG-1. CWOP=CW2074.  Davis VP2+ WLIP 5.9.2, VP(original) serial, VWS v15.00 p02. ImageSalsa, Win7 & Win8 all-in-one.

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2011, 10:40:29 AM »
But assuming the battery is good, even if the supercap was bad, the battery should keep it up shouldn't it?

Offline wxtech

• Weather Equipment Technician
  • Forecaster
  • USAF Weather Equipment Maintenance Tech (retired)
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2011, 10:52:03 AM »
If it flatlined, then both power sources have failed.  The battery should last 8 months with no solar panel.  If the supercap is failing, that can put more load on the battery, and it will discharge sooner.
Be sure the solar panel gets full sun all day, and put in a new battery.  The above is for a VP2 but the Vue is probably similar.
Al Washington, Lexington, Ga.,  NWS Coop station=LXTG1, Fischer Porter, SRG, MMTS. 
CoCoRaHS=GA-OG-1. CWOP=CW2074.  Davis VP2+ WLIP 5.9.2, VP(original) serial, VWS v15.00 p02. ImageSalsa, Win7 & Win8 all-in-one.

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2011, 10:53:39 AM »
The battery has been in there for at least two years outside, how long it was in the box I don't know.

Offline d_l

• Forecaster
  • Slide Mtn - Mt Rose
    • Thomas Creek Estates neighborhood weather
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2011, 11:06:16 AM »
Those CR123 batteries can stay in the box on the shelf a long time -- 10 years -- before they will totally self discharge.  That's the advantage of lithium.

Unless you ordered the Vue from some obscure retailer with low turnover I doubt that it sat in the box for more than a few months.  From my experience, every time I order a major Davis component it seems that the item has a date stamp on it that isn't more than a few months old.  There seems to be a brisk turnover in Davis inventory.
--Dave--

Wireless VP2 w/ solar, 24hr FARS, Heater, (Envoy-WLIP)*3-Meteohub, plus custom VP2 @ 26', WL 6.0.4, WU & W4U=KNVRENO37 NetcamXL

People always talk about the weather, but they never do anything about it.  Not me.  I'm gonna measure it.  https://www.tceweather.com

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2011, 01:50:10 PM »
Well, replaced the battery, we'll see how it does in the morning. Pulled a piece of crap out of the rain gauge while I was up there.

It did this once before not too long ago. The thing that threw me was that WD was still showing activity with those little flashing green lights. It appeared everything was ok. But once I saw a graph of my data, I knew it wasn't working. And also, the much cooler temperatures probably exacerbate the effects of the supercap going bad.

If it is the battery, I have no idea how long it might have been bad though. Does the console tell you if the ISS batteries are going bad or is it just the console batteries it tells you about ? I can't find it anywhere in the manual except for the console.

Battery Replaced - 10/22/11 Let's see how long it last!

Offline Gulfcoast

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2011, 02:03:58 PM »
I put a new battery in my Vue on October 17... let's see how long they both last.   :-)

Offline Flag

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2011, 07:10:19 PM »
If it is the battery, I have no idea how long it might have been bad though. Does the console tell you if the ISS batteries are going bad or is it just the console batteries it tells you about ? I can't find it anywhere in the manual except for the console.

WeatherLink>Window>Alarm and Battery Status>

Does not show the Station Battery # voltage but if it's getting bad then it will show red.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 07:12:15 PM by Flag »

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2011, 08:36:31 AM »
Yeah, I don't load Weatherlink but I guess I could.

It was working this morning, so must be a cap going bad and was a bad battery.