Author Topic: HAniS: NOAA Office of Satellite and Product Operations Is In Transition  (Read 14346 times)

Offline DW7240

• Senior Contributor
    • The Vicarage Weather Feed
Re: HAniS: NOAA Office of Satellite and Product Operations Is In Transition
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2018, 04:56:12 PM »
Hi Jerry,

Just to add my two pence worth,  I've a lot of problems running this script, I installed the latest version of the HAnis files, etc etc, still no good, browser just locked up exactly the problem rrrick8 had, but since installing HAnis 4.4 the script just ran with no problems.  Why would the script not work with the latest HAnis ? seems weird to me, usually latest means - setup now and for the future - hmm, oh well it works great, thanks for an awesome script, those images are stunning, even shows the night-time lighting.

Thanks again Jerry.

Nick. dw7240.com

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
  • Stillwater, home of Oklahoma State University
    • Welcome to Stillwater Weather
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2018, 04:03:55 AM »
The latest Hanis works fine in Chrome for me, but not on other browsers.
https://stillwaterweather.com/satloops
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 12:34:09 AM by Bunty »

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline gwwilk

• Southeast Lincoln Weather
  • Forecaster
    • SouthEast Lincoln, NE Weather
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2018, 09:20:47 AM »
The latest Hanis works fine in Chrome for me, but not on other browsers.
https://stillwaterweather.com/newpage
I'll admit that I only tested this script in Chrome, but the HAniS version I'm using works in FF for me as well.  It may not be the latest version however.  Try downloading the zip I referred to above and use one of the earlier HAniS versions I've included to see if that helps.  I have had problems at times running the script in Chrome via an old WAMP on this computer, and I recall similar difficulties with HAniS so I reverted to an earlier version that contained all of the features these scripts need.

In other words, an earlier HAniS version should be the answer, and that's why I've distributed them above.
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline gwwilk

• Forecaster
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2018, 10:31:53 AM »
The latest HAniS version is 4.10, and it works in both FF and Chrome on my sites.  It is attached.  EDIT:  I have revised the zip on my site to include only HAniS Versions 4.4, 4.6, 4.8 (which I was using on my sites), and 4.10 (which I am now using on my sites).
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 10:36:29 AM by gwwilk »
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline jgillett

• Forecaster
  • Boltek, Win7 Pro, ToA
    • TiggrWeather Phoenix
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2018, 10:34:44 AM »
I've gotten a version of the iframe working that checks for the existence of the images before displaying them which eliminates the missing images altogether.  The downside is that the check requires a delay of a few seconds while the image files are being checked.
Trying this in FF 57.0.4 resulted on a completely locked browser.

Just FYI.

Thanks.
John
W7JKG

Offline gwwilk

• Forecaster
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2018, 10:37:39 AM »
Sorry, John.  Dump HAniS 4.9 in favor of 4.10.

Same thing here.  I'm reverting to HAniS 4.8 on my sites. 
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 10:42:10 AM by gwwilk »
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline jgillett

• Forecaster
  • Boltek, Win7 Pro, ToA
    • TiggrWeather Phoenix
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2018, 10:40:54 AM »
Sorry, John.  Dump HAniS 4.9 in favor of 4.10.
Did that. Still locks up on your site, Jerry.

Thanks.
John
W7JKG

Offline jgillett

• Forecaster
  • Boltek, Win7 Pro, ToA
    • TiggrWeather Phoenix
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2018, 10:44:52 AM »
Just checked my site with 4.10. After loading the images fine this one now flashes the full map image approx. once every second.

Oops... must now be something else. Reverted to the version I had running and now it is flashing as well.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 10:48:51 AM by jgillett »
John
W7JKG

Offline gwwilk

• Forecaster
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2018, 10:56:09 AM »
That's an NWS problem, John, and I've seen that for the past few weeks.  Also, they've stopped producing the HAniS loops for GOES EAST again.  There's a new script you can scrape from my site.

Regarding finding a HAniS version that works with FF, well I haven't done so.  I'm not a big fan and haven't tested anything in FF, so my apologies.  I'm back to HAniS 4.10.
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline jgillett

• Forecaster
  • Boltek, Win7 Pro, ToA
    • TiggrWeather Phoenix
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2018, 01:46:10 PM »
Thanks, Jerry. Add it to the NWS list, I guess.

Chrome and I have never gotten along. Google is way too nosy, IMHO.
John
W7JKG

Offline gwwilk

• Forecaster
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2018, 07:41:51 AM »
With Tom Whittaker's generous help (he's the author of HAniS) the problem with some of my HAniS scripts hanging and crashing browsers has been solved.  It turns out that at some point last year he changed a HAniS parameter, 'skip_missing' from 'skip_missing = t \n\' to 'skip_missing = 0 \n\' in order to accommodate the need to skip layers other than the base layer.

The modification of 'wxGOES16-HAniSLoops-iframe.php' required only that simple change in order to allow it to work properly.

I've modified all of my other HAniS iframe scripts that contain 'skip_missing', and they all now work again.

My apologies for not keeping fully abreast of the nuances of HAniS scripting. :oops:
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
  • Stillwater, home of Oklahoma State University
    • Welcome to Stillwater Weather
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2018, 11:41:52 AM »
I already got mine working well on Firefox and Edge by using 4.4 Hanis with SA.

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline gwwilk

• Forecaster
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2018, 03:29:54 PM »
I already got mine working well on Firefox and Edge by using 4.4 Hanis with SA.
Thanks!  You found the version before Tom changed the 'skip_missing' parameter from t/f to 0/1/2/3...  I couldn't find it because I was going by the date in my servers' HAniS directories which is the date uploaded and not the date modified.  If and when you update your hanis_min.js to the latest version, you will need to change that parameter in the iframe php script.
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline gwwilk

• Forecaster
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2018, 03:07:09 PM »
Steve Fitzgerald was kind enough to tell me that he couldn't get a different default $satBand to work in Stand Alone, and that he couldn't use a $divWidth of 600 Stand Alone.  Sure enough, these were bugs!  They have been corrected in the latest zip.

You may download today's revised version here.
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline gwwilk

• Forecaster
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2018, 08:32:40 AM »
As of around 11 pm EST yesterday the GOES16 images stopped updating.

You can see the current status of those images in the testing version of the GOES16 script on my test site.

(This version may not correctly display the images once the GOES16 site resumes creating them because until they do so I can't finish debugging the test script.)

Edit 2018 Jan 19 10 AM:  The images are back online, but the test script may or may not work as intended.

Edit 2018 Jan 19 1:30 PM: The newly modified test script appears to be working as intended.

You may download today's revised version here.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 02:44:24 PM by gwwilk »
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline Breezy

• Indian Trail Weather
  • Forecaster
    • Indian Trail Weather
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2018, 11:20:56 AM »
Jerry, Great script!  \:D/ Thanks for keeping up with all of the changes and your modifications ...

I would like to know if it is possible to place your GEOS16 animated script on my "home page" in the "lower right quadrant" to replace the existing "water vapor" image which is now obsolete. The size is 320 x 240. If so, can you assist with me with the design of the script? Your GEOS16 animated script would be a great enhancement to my page.

Thank you ...

Jeff

W7-64, Intel Z170A 16 GB RAM
Davis VP2 Plus, Davis Soil Moisture/Temp Sensors, Laser Snow Depth Sensor LR4/Fluke 414D

Offline gwwilk

• Forecaster
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2018, 01:33:59 PM »
Jerry, Great script!  \:D/ Thanks for keeping up with all of the changes and your modifications ...

I would like to know if it is possible to place your GEOS16 animated script on my "home page" in the "lower right quadrant" to replace the existing "water vapor" image which is now obsolete. The size is 320 x 240. If so, can you assist with me with the design of the script? Your GEOS16 animated script would be a great enhancement to my page.

Thank you ...
Here's a 320x240 iframe only without controls.  You can set the $sector and $satBand to your desired parameters, although I haven't explored all of the 300x300 image $satBands.  As you can see there's a '$Breezy' switch. :-)  If set to false the iframe should behave normally, that is, you'll see a ton of debugging information.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 01:41:31 PM by gwwilk »
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline Breezy

• Indian Trail Weather
  • Forecaster
    • Indian Trail Weather
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2018, 10:30:20 PM »
Jerry,

I have it up and running in my http://indiantrailweather.com/indextest.php  Your efforts are very much appreciated.   =D>

Question: In the full scale version my image animation http://indiantrailweather.com/wxGOES16-HAniSLoops.php has all "green" colored boxes at the bottom and I notice that yours https://www.gwwilkins.org/wxGOES16-HAniSLoops.php  has some "red" colored boxes at the bottom with the rest being "green". Could it be that we are running different versions of the script?
Jeff

Davis VP2 Plus, Davis Soil Moisture/Temp Sensors, Laser Snow Depth Sensor LR4/Fluke 414D

Offline gwwilk

• Forecaster
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2018, 11:25:37 PM »
Jeff, the red colored boxes represent absent images that are skipped.  You need to be using HAniS version 4.4 or above in order for them to be skipped and show up red.  HOWEVER, the missing images and their box will be absent if '$checkFiles = true' in the iframe file when it is run alone, or in the main script when it is run within the Saratoga template.  File checking does take some additional time which delays somewhat more the appearance of the animation after the page loads.  I recommend you use HAniS Version 4.10, attached here for future compatibility's sake.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 11:30:26 PM by gwwilk »
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline Breezy

• Indian Trail Weather
  • Forecaster
    • Indian Trail Weather
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2018, 11:35:45 PM »
Thanks for the explanation. I'm very happy with the 320 x 240 view and will be activating it on the published page. Super job  :!:
Jeff

Offline Breezy

• Indian Trail Weather
  • Forecaster
    • Indian Trail Weather
« Reply #45 on: January 28, 2018, 11:27:38 PM »
The GOES16 loop is "down" in my lower right graphic quadrant located on my home page. Anyone else having issues with the GOES16 script?
Jeff

Offline jgillett

• Forecaster
  • Boltek, Win7 Pro, ToA
    • TiggrWeather Phoenix
« Reply #46 on: January 28, 2018, 11:41:10 PM »
Yep. Mine's completely blank as well on my main page - http://tiggrweather.net/wxGOES16-HAniSLoops.php.
John
W7JKG

Offline gwwilk

• Forecaster
« Reply #47 on: January 28, 2018, 11:44:05 PM »
The GOES16 loop is "down" in my lower right graphic quadrant located on my home page. Anyone else having issues with the GOES16 script?
If you look at the loops on their site, the last image they're showing that the script would find is from  UTC 2257 on Jan 28.  There are no current images on the site, so the scripts fall over and don't display any images.  I guess 'Preliminary' is the key word regarding the site.  As soon as they get back to work they'll fix it, I'm sure.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 11:45:53 PM by gwwilk »
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline gwwilk

• Forecaster
« Reply #48 on: January 29, 2018, 03:29:44 PM »
Today the GOES16 images are still being spit out in fits and starts.  Look at the times on these filenames for example (scroll to the bottom to see the latest images) to see what I'm talking about.  I'm experimenting with a routine to find existing images rather than just going for the '7' minute ones.  If you're interested in seeing the voluminous debug code along with the latest 600x600 images displayed and you have time to wait for this page to load, see here  (Project suspended).  This is a very rough and largely unworkable script, but it picks up the last 20 600x600's, save the latest one or two, images!

Things are going to have to stabilize on the GOES16 image site before anything definitive can be done.  I wish they would place the differently sized images in sub-directories.  It sure would make my life easier.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 07:17:22 AM by gwwilk »
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline gwwilk

• Forecaster
« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2018, 07:20:00 AM »
NOAA/NWS has apparently resolved their glitch with the images so that now all of the '7' minute images are being created.  There's no need for alternative access methods, at least for now. =D>
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

anything