Author Topic: Reliability?  (Read 10869 times)

Offline SpringHillWeather

• Weather Hobbyist
  • Forecaster
  • Spring Hill, Florida
    • Spring Hill
Re: Reliability?
« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2016, 05:50:42 PM »
After much frustration with an offline bloomsky for 2 weeks ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)  I received my replacement BloomSky today and lo and behold it works and I'm online :D

Yippe Ki Yay   \:D/

Saratoga
HomeWeatherStation
Meteotemplate
Homebrew
Ambient 1001 | ObserverIP | Meteobridge | MeteoPlug

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2016, 06:02:35 PM »
After much frustration with an offline bloomsky for 2 weeks ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)  I received my replacement BloomSky today and lo and behold it works and I'm online :D

Yippe Ki Yay   \:D/

Nice... now lets just hope it lasts :D

Online PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #52 on: March 14, 2016, 10:19:20 AM »
After those early two times when my device quit sending it had been quite good.  So yesterday I connected the replacement device and it is doing well so far (16 hours). 

However, my original device quit sending about an hour after I connected the new one.  It was dark but I did see a red light on.  This morning I brought the device inside and plugged it in and now sending data, albeit inside data.  So looks like out of power.  This device is connected to the solar panel and has been outside for about 3 weeks.  We've had some very nice sunny days but also more dreary cloudy/overcast days.

So on the reliability, just have to know what the quirks are and then seems ok.  Looks like will have to set up a schedule for regular charging.  And for the second unit if I keep it running, will have to do the same but more frequent as it does not have the solar panel.

Paul

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
« Reply #53 on: April 19, 2016, 10:50:42 AM »
Well just after 60 days (installed on Feb 15th, 2016) I wake up to find the temp/baro/uv isn't working. Camera is just fine and is still updating. Have tried numerous power cycling and hard resets to no avail. Have contacted Bloomsky regarding this.  I received this response, which I believe is automated:

Thank you for submitting a ticket. Due to the amount of cases we've been receiving, it may take up to 5 business days to get back to your request. In the meantime, please view our support page (https://bloomsky.desk.com/), your issue may have a solution there.

My thought was: 5 days, really?

John
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus

Online PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #54 on: April 19, 2016, 12:19:36 PM »
Hi John,
Sorry to read about your issue.  I had that "5 day" mentioned to an email inquiry a while back but they got back to me within a couple of days.

I had both my original and replacement working fine for a while.  Have moved the replacement to my daughter's in Milton, ON and it is still doing fine (replacement didn't come with the solar panel and that is understandable, so they have to recharge periodically).  My original worked fine until about 10 days ago when it just quit.  The temp shot up very high for two readings and it all then just quit - no data, no pictures.  Couldn't get it doing anything at all and tried all the things you seemed to have done.  Called Bloomsky and got a voice message that I could leave a brief description and a recall number.  They called back within 2 hours and after learning about the temp issue they thought it was a sensor failure so have sent me another replacement - still waiting for it.

Support is excellent, but quality control seems like an issue.

Hope it works out for you John,
Paul

Offline hankster

• Forecaster
    • NFM Weather
« Reply #55 on: April 19, 2016, 03:52:15 PM »
My rain sensor has stopped working a couple weeks ago. Maybe it needs the crud cleaned off of it but I really don't feel like hauling out the ladder to climb near the gable to do that. Inasmuch as the daytime temps are 2+ degrees high, to me the only thing of value is the camera. Of course that is not a lot of use since you can not access it directly or have it upload to my own web site.

Luckily I got mine for free, I'd be really disappointed if I would have paid $300 for it.

My Davis Vue has been running for over 3 years without the need to do anything to it. The Vue doesn't cost that much more and sure does a lot more.

Offline Dennis Rogers

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #56 on: April 19, 2016, 04:10:37 PM »
Well my replacement Bloomsky, on this one the rain sensor is not working. I  my orginal it was the uv sensor.

As for the Davis Vue doing more yes it does and costs more.

What the Davis and pretty much all weather stations can  not do is give a 12 day forcast and the days high.

My Bloomsky gives a 12 day forcast, which works it out itself, which may be trends it's working out.

Gives a more accurate outside temp than my Vantage Vue and since I have the solar panel no battery changes.

I love the fact it gives me a 12 day forcast, which by the way does a pretty good job and even the days highest temp it's prediction is not to bad.

Love to see a Davis give a 12 day forcast and the days high and low temps.

While the predicted days low is often out the top temp is usually 2 to 3 degrees with the days weather.

And when they have the rain gauge and wind speed monitor will be a complete weather station giving far more data and weather prediction than my Vantage Vue and even my Ambient clone which I now prefer over my Davis as it is far more modern.

Love the colour display and tablet like look than a screen stuck in the 1980's and no pc to worry about.

Still love the Bloomsky as its great to see the time laspe at the end of the day and other stations around the world. And the bloomsky compliments my Ambient clone.

Offline hankster

• Forecaster
    • NFM Weather
« Reply #57 on: April 20, 2016, 07:59:52 AM »
The Bloomsky does not give you a forecast. That forecast is gotten from other sources, most likely WU. The Bloomsky costs $250. Hard telling how much the rain and wind sensors will cost if they ever come out.

The Vue is $300, a data link is $50 for a total of $350. Both will upload data to WU.

There is no display console with the Bloomsky, it's an app. You can get dozens of apps for weather, the one from WU is nice and pretty and can use the info the Vue uploads to WU. No computer is required for the Vue to upload data to Davis and WU, just use an IP data logger. While I do use a computer I want to have my own personal website. Doesn't matter if Davis goes out of business, I will still be able to continue to use my data, can you say the same if Bloomsky goes out of business? My weather web site - http://nfmweather.com/weather/ with years of past data that I control.

Even with the low number of Bloomsky's on the market there are many reports of failures. You have even had two. With many more Davis systems out there you read of very few failures and most of them are for systems that are many years old. You can get the high and lows for all readings on the inside Davis console. BTW, here is my Davis created page with the weather info, I can get the forecast from WU. http://www.weatherlink.com/user/northfortmyers/ If I want to see my own data on a mobile device I go to http://www.nfmweather.com/weather/mwxindexbig.html or I want pretty I go to http://www.nfmweather.com/weather/mwxgauges.htm

Here is my all day weather video using an old cell phone looking out my back window and a free app. https://youtu.be/LRChwQYNkC8
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 08:32:31 AM by hankster »

Offline Dennis Rogers

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #58 on: April 20, 2016, 04:21:35 PM »
Have had my Davis Vue running with no problems for 4 years, no issues. But prefer the Ambient much more modern and no crap 80's console. Come on Davis we arw in the age of lcd screens and colour. Not stuck in the past with crap consoles that look horrible.

The Ambient clone is my main station. I took my Davis down as I prefer the modem screen and look of the ambient

Offline hankster

• Forecaster
    • NFM Weather
« Reply #59 on: April 20, 2016, 05:58:50 PM »
I don't even use the Davis console other than to feed the data on-line. I have a $50 tablet on the shelf that loads my website data every 10 seconds. That way I can customize what info I want to see and highlight what is important. The only good thing about the Davis console is that it will run off of batteries for a year without being plugged in.

Offline RainmanWeather

• Senior Contributor
    • RainmanWeather
« Reply #60 on: April 20, 2016, 09:52:33 PM »
Just to provide a contrasting experience, I got one of the original Bloomsky kickstarters last year. It has been running for nearly a year now without a single hiccup. It was put up in early May last year and then got the solar panel for it in August. It literally has not been touched since attaching the solar last summer.

My observation is that when things just work nobody says a thing, but then when there are problems they are screamed about from the hilltops. that is why reading product reviews can be misleading. For me, Bloomsky has been 100% reliable.

Hello World

Offline Dennis Rogers

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #61 on: April 20, 2016, 10:13:04 PM »
Think the first has most likely has the better components, and when they go into the proper production stage put cheaper parts and cut corners then you get the issues. But then the first can also be the most risky as your a beta tester.

Offline RainmanWeather

• Senior Contributor
    • RainmanWeather
« Reply #62 on: April 20, 2016, 10:32:29 PM »
Think the first has most likely has the better components, and when they go into the proper production stage put cheaper parts and cut corners then you get the issues. But then the first can also be the most risky as your a beta tester.

Good points, though with the kickstarter it was known risk and at only $99 a fairly reasonable one too.

It certainly is possible that cheaper components could be put in as a product matures as well as more reliable ones as initial failures show up. Personally haven't seen any evidence that either has happened with Bloomsky.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #63 on: April 20, 2016, 11:25:54 PM »
It certainly is possible that cheaper components could be put in as a product matures as well as more reliable ones as initial failures show up. Personally haven't seen any evidence that either has happened with Bloomsky.

I've seen no evidence that is happening, either.

However, it seems the software driving the Bloomsky is improving.  I haven't been on the farm for a few months, but now I'm getting more detailed alerts about rain events than I used to.  Being 700 miles away it's hard to judge how accurate they are, but it seems to be a step in the right direction.

Offline VaJim

• Virginia Beach Backyard Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #64 on: April 21, 2016, 07:38:56 AM »
...still waiting for them to fix the pressure reading in the phone app.....?

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
« Reply #65 on: April 21, 2016, 08:28:33 AM »
Heard back from James at Bloomsky yesterday. Supposed to emailing me an RMA number and a return label for a replacement. I'll keep you apprised.
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus

Online PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #66 on: April 22, 2016, 09:04:20 PM »
My replacement arrived today and have it back up and reporting https://map.bloomsky.com/weather-stations/gqBxp6apnJSnoJim

Called them Apr 12th, they said they would ship a replacement.
Arrived April 22nd and no shipping charges, nor duty/taxes into Canada.
Now what to do with the failed one?

Excellent service!
Paul

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #67 on: April 22, 2016, 09:07:42 PM »
:-) Nice.

Keep the old one, in case this one stops working you can try to put together the working parts of both and make a new fully functional one :D :D

Online PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #68 on: April 22, 2016, 09:28:18 PM »
Not sure if I can take it apart without breaking it.  And putting it back together again is another story...

With software you can just write a new version, with hardware, well a broken piece is a broken piece #-o

Paul

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
« Reply #69 on: April 22, 2016, 09:46:03 PM »
Heard back from Bloomsky. They are sending me a replacement and also gave an RMA number for the defective one. "Hopefully" the replacement will last longer than 60 days this time.
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus

Offline SpringHillWeather

• Weather Hobbyist
  • Forecaster
  • Spring Hill, Florida
    • Spring Hill
« Reply #70 on: April 23, 2016, 02:17:20 PM »

Target Practice?   :twisted:
Saratoga
HomeWeatherStation
Meteotemplate
Homebrew
Ambient 1001 | ObserverIP | Meteobridge | MeteoPlug

Offline VaJim

• Forecaster
« Reply #71 on: April 25, 2016, 10:34:32 AM »

...when I spoke to them, they wanted the failed one back...??

Online PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #72 on: April 25, 2016, 04:20:16 PM »
...when I spoke to them, they wanted the failed one back...??
  The difference is the import/export paperwork for out of the country.  On my original BloomSky I had to pay about $45 in duties, taxes and brokerage fees to UPS over and above the $19.99 shipping paid to BloomSky.  For the replacements haven't had to pay anything as I asked them to put on the package "No Charge Replacement Under Warranty".  They have treated me well!

I won't discard the failed unit yet unless in case someone sees some value in it...

Paul

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
« Reply #73 on: April 30, 2016, 02:00:24 PM »
Hi Folks,

Got my Bloomsky replacement up and running. Actually got it yesterday, but its impossible to install when you nearly 5" inches of rain/thunderstorms yesterday.

https://map.bloomsky.com/weather-stations/gqBxp6apnJSnoKaz

John
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus

anything