Author Topic: CWOP, MADIS, HADS, PG&E  (Read 1156 times)

Offline aweatherguy

• Senior Contributor
    • Weather Station Data Logger
CWOP, MADIS, HADS, PG&E
« on: September 30, 2019, 03:21:15 PM »
I see a new station popped up nearby with the ID PG380. Poking around shows this is associated with the "HADS" network and is operated by the local electric utility provider, Pacific Gas & Electric. The GPS location seems to point to a utility pole, although I've not gone there yet to see if I can see any sensors.

Does anyone know anything about this setup where PGE is installing weather stations?

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: CWOP, MADIS, HADS, PG&E
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2019, 03:40:29 PM »
That is a station that MesoWest has added to their network.  MesoWest is calling it the PGE network where it pulled from. Then they upload that data to MADIS. But it is not a CWOP nor APRS station.

I've noticed that MesoWest has been expanding the number of networks they pull from. Recently MesoWest added the WeatherSTEM network....which again then gets uploaded to MADIS from MesoWest. Western Weather Group is yet another network that MesoWest pulls in. I'm sure that there are many more.

The HADS network is part of NOAA. I don't think the PGE stations are part of HADS.
https://hads.ncep.noaa.gov/

Here is a recent post explaining these new weather stations:
https://www.pge.com/en/about/newsroom/newsdetails/index.page?title=20190603_pge_expanding_weather_station_and_high_definition_camera_network_to_monitor_and_reduce_wildfire_risk

In that post is the following link that shows you all of these PGE stations:
https://mesowest.utah.edu/cgi-bin/droman/stn_mnet.cgi?mnet=227

« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 03:49:34 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline aweatherguy

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2019, 07:43:34 PM »
Thanks for the info...that explains it.

Warning, going off topic:

Regarding PG&E and wildfires...more insanity in Calif. Instead of PG&E maintaining their infrastructure, they are taking the stupid way out and are going to be shutting down power for hundreds or thousands of customers for days at a time when fire weather gets bad. It is starting to get like living in a 3rd world country around here. Time to vote with my feet.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2019, 07:55:44 PM »
It is starting to get like living in a 3rd world country around here. Time to vote with my feet.
I'll see your OT and raise you...Cali is an absolute joke and hot mess. Absolute shame, I lived there in the 80's and loved it. Now, couldn't pay me enough... :evil:

Offline aweatherguy

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2019, 08:00:37 PM »
I found the sucker...was looking low when I shoulda looked high. It's about 20-30 feet AGL on a utility pole. Image attached.

Anemometer looks like R.M. Young 05103, no idea what the rad shield/temp/rh sensor is (doesn't look like an R.M. Young product)...
« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 08:02:14 PM by aweatherguy »

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2019, 08:22:11 PM »
Anny is obviously Young, and most surely the shield is as well. At least they buy quality stuff.

http://www.youngusa.com/products/2/11.html

Offline aweatherguy

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2019, 12:48:12 AM »
At first I figured both were Young products, that would make sense. By comparing markings on the anemometer tail fins, I guessed it's the Young model 05103.

But the shield/temp/rh sensor isn't a perfect match to the catalog images. See attached comparison. The bracket is a bit different and attaches almost directly to the bottom shield plate, while the catalog photo shows some standoffs used to space the bracket away from the shield plate. Could be a custom bracket though.

The temp/RH sensor looks completely different on the bottom end, and I can't find any photos in the Young catalog that match. I could have missed something in the Young catalog or perhaps it's a non-catalog item from Young.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2019, 02:07:52 AM »
perhaps it's a non-catalog item from Young.
Or possibly a discontinued shield, there are many similarities. I would certainly think that this was a contract buy between RMY and PGE, so it would seem logical that the anny and shield/sensor combo was purchased as a "group buy" for all of PGE's "sittings". If you find more, I'd be willing to bet that most if not all are the same.

Offline K5GHS

• K5GHS's Website
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2020, 10:51:39 PM »
My Dad worked for PG&E (retired ~14 years ago) and actually sent up weather balloons near one of their man made lakes at times for the people they had working in the office in San Fransisco.  They had their own weather department.  They used it for storm predicting (plant damage potential) and for cloud seeding around the lakes. 

I'm assuming they still do it, since having those full of water means they have water for the summer months for the hydro they run.  Feather River Canyon and Pit River area by Redding were two big areas they did a lot of hydro in (and still do, last I know, I haven't been back to CA since moving to TX 3 years ago).

I'm not too surprised to see them deploying sensors like this in various areas. 

I remember my Dad telling my Mom about testing they were doing in the rural areas with the ability to turn off areas in case of load shedding need (he worked technically in "generation" not "transmission," mainly he was concerned with getting the water to the generators and maintaining the intakes and stuff at the dams, as well as the penstocks-the huge pipes that fed the hydro plants)  Two years later I was out of school, working my first real job in Sacramento when they had the first rolling blackout due to the California ISO declaring a shortage in capacity.  It would happen two times more during that summer, lasting 55 minutes each.  But they tested that equipment on us in rural N. California a few years before.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 10:54:49 PM by K5GHS »
Joshua
K5GHS
http://www.k5ghs.radio

Collin County, TX  Grid: EM13qd  CWOP: AV590
Skywarn Repeaters:  147.180 Primary 146.740 Secondary
100% Emergency Powered Ham Radio Station (540AH Batteries/Solar Rechargeable)
Ambient Weather WS-2000
Ecowitt GW1000

anything