Author Topic: Station Name  (Read 309 times)

Offline JECO

Station Name
« on: October 23, 2021, 01:32:47 PM »
I gave my station a name when adding my device, but WU uses a location name instead. When I click on the location name, my station appears with the correct name. Anyone know how I can make my chosen station name the only one that is used by WU? Thanks in advance.

Offline KathyLauren

Re: Station Name
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2021, 03:38:41 PM »
On the map, WU only uses a location name, not the station name.  There is no way to make it use the station name on the map. 

Not only that, but the location name is chosen rather arbitrarily and often bears no relationship to reality.  If you are lucky, it is based on the town or municipality you live in.  In my case, the location name is derived from a census district that no one in the real world knows or uses for anything.  So essentially it is meaningless. 

It is just bad interface design.  I suppose a bunch of us could complain to WU, but I doubt it would do any good.

Offline JECO

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2021, 11:23:18 AM »
I could not agree more. Having just relocated my station, I find that I cannot identify it with my chosen name. The label given it byWU is for a location that has multiple entries. The 100 people in my apartment building would have no way of knowing what to choose for seeing the observations where they live without knowing my password. I have, nevertheless written to WU pleading for them to use chosen station names like they have used in the past. I hope you do three same. No reason for them not to go back to  using chosen station names.

Offline azchrisf

• Cobra Weather Dominator Operator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2021, 01:18:10 PM »
For some reason, they removed alot of useful little things from the old WU system when IBM took over. I'm upset they removed status messages and website links.
I like to call it "corporatizing"...
Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus 6163 w/ 8 Transmitters!
Also doing Soil and Leaf 4x
WU: KAZGLEND106 CWOP: FW1398 (F1398) Purpleair: 98793/LAZGLEND8
My setup:
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=41867.0

anything