Author Topic: Spring/Summer '20  (Read 19421 times)

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
  • Stillwater, home of Oklahoma State University
    • Welcome to Stillwater Weather
Re: Spring/Summer '20
« Reply #150 on: May 17, 2020, 06:00:34 PM »
As it turned out in the real world, the rainfall amounts predicted weren't generally far off base in much of the southeast quarter of the state, along with part of the northeast, but were well off in my part of the state, the north central.  A large part of the southwest got much more rain than forecast.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 06:11:47 PM by Bunty »

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
« Reply #151 on: May 17, 2020, 11:03:40 PM »
We've got some heavy rainfall on the way here - pesky upper level low. They're quite a challenge to forecast.
Joe Fitzwater
Chief Meteorologist for WVNS-TV 59 in Beckley, WV

Work Page on Facebook -> www.facebook.com/meteojoe
Work Page on Twitter -> https://twitter.com/meteojoe
Waterfalls -> www.wvfalls.com

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #152 on: May 18, 2020, 11:51:04 AM »
There's an upper level low forming in the area and it's going to get stalled by that storm coming up the east coast, so it's going to be a wet few days.  Wouldn't you know it?  I have the days off, so of course it has to rain.  :(
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #153 on: May 18, 2020, 01:20:47 PM »
What's wrong with this?  I know what's wrong the ambient temperature reads +2° high so it alters the humidity to read low.
The KVTN ASOS continues to be globally warmed +2f so we never experience any RH above 93% and I mean never. Its been like this for a couple of years now. Ice storms that never reach freezing is another phenomena with the KVTN ASOS at Valentine.
I checked other ASOS in the area Broken Bow reached 100%, North Platte reached 100% without fog but we continue to read-only 93% no matter how dense or long the fog event last like today over 4 hours extremely dense where you could barely see across the road. 
Visibility even got to zero once the negative reading I highlighted.  I also highlight the RH column for reference.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Randy

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
« Reply #154 on: May 21, 2020, 11:06:30 AM »
It's been a pretty wet few days in my area from this pesky cutoff upper level low. Not gonna lie - cutoffs are tough to forecast - they bobble 50 miles one way, and it can really bust a forecast. So far, forecasts for this one have gone alright, but it's not easy! Most areas saw 1-2" of rain yesterday, which has caused a few high water spots. Thankfully nothing too crazy like over in Midland, MI from the dam failure yet - although the Roanoke, VA area seems to have gotten hit pretty hard.
Joe Fitzwater

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #155 on: May 21, 2020, 03:33:34 PM »
It's been a pretty wet few days in my area from this pesky cutoff upper level low. Not gonna lie - cutoffs are tough to forecast - they bobble 50 miles one way, and it can really bust a forecast.
Yeah, you guys don't get to see them much back east, and this one has really hung around too. They're fairly common out here in the SW, especially in the colder months. You know the saying "A cutoff low is a weatherman's woe"...

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
« Reply #156 on: May 22, 2020, 02:02:09 PM »
In this video link, the Stillwater Emergency Management Director takes a look at wind damage in Stillwater, mostly to trees,  from a severe storm that happened early Friday morning.  Gusts were up to 60 mi. in town.  Wind gusted to 34.5 mi at my house.  The only sign of damage was some twigs in my front yard from a large pin oak tree.   Interesting point at 16:55, stroke a lightning before coming up to big tree down across half of 12th Ave.  Good thing it didn't fall on house.

https://stillwaterweather.com/severestormmay22-20

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
« Reply #157 on: May 22, 2020, 03:31:47 PM »
It's been a pretty wet few days in my area from this pesky cutoff upper level low. Not gonna lie - cutoffs are tough to forecast - they bobble 50 miles one way, and it can really bust a forecast.
Yeah, you guys don't get to see them much back east, and this one has really hung around too. They're fairly common out here in the SW, especially in the colder months. You know the saying "A cutoff low is a weatherman's woe"...

No doubt - definitely underestimated the amount of sunshine we'd have here being directly under the cutoff low today - but these are things I always write down for next time (and thankfully I haven't done a forecast since Monday, so no harm on my accuracy at the station  8-) )
Joe Fitzwater

Offline Notsorusty

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #158 on: May 26, 2020, 04:50:40 PM »
I blinked and missed spring.

May 9, 3:55 am - 27.7 F
May 24, 5:15 pm - 90.1 F

This spell of July weather should end on Thursday evening.   #-o
Station Name: Silver Creek II
Latitude / Longitude: 41.925° N, -87.872° W
Elevation: 633
City: Franklin Park
State: IL
Hardware: Ambient Weather WS-2902D

Offline DRoberts

• Forecaster
« Reply #159 on: June 01, 2020, 09:01:15 AM »
Welcome to meteorological summer. And it will feel like it here. 95 predicted.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #160 on: June 01, 2020, 12:46:18 PM »
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline Notsorusty

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #161 on: June 02, 2020, 11:42:48 AM »
Another comment from the NWS in Chicago:

Meteorological Summer kicked off only yesterday and we will feel it today with lower 90s for peak afternoon temperatures with high confidence. This will be at the daily record high level for Chicago today.
Today`s record daily high in Chicago is actually the lowest daily record high in all of Meteorological Summer. It has a fairly good chance to be reached this afternoon given the forecast setup.

June 2 Record High        Years
Chicago               92               1944, 1895

MTF

I wonder where spring went?

Offline Notsorusty

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #162 on: June 02, 2020, 07:30:24 PM »
Officially made it to 94 so far. My station got to 95.2 at 5:30 pm, highest since Sept., 10, 2019. The usual storms coming thru overnite, should moderate temps.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 07:38:57 PM by Notsorusty »

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
« Reply #164 on: June 04, 2020, 11:24:11 PM »
Thursday was the first day it really felt summer is here with a high of 97.  Normal is 84.  It was good that the latest track on Tropical Storm Cristobal has taken a slight westward bend from nearly straight north.    Maybe it will end up cooling things off for a while.

Offline DRoberts

• Forecaster
« Reply #165 on: June 05, 2020, 02:57:55 PM »
Quite a nice little hot spell for the center of the country. Wonder if it will affect covid 19? NWS Hastings thinks this may be the warmest beginning to June since the 1930s for this area.

Offline BKS97

• Senior Contributor
    • Sartell East Weather
« Reply #166 on: June 05, 2020, 04:21:55 PM »
We had one short round of heat and humidity, but the past few days have been pretty nice. The abnormally dry or moderate drought conditions in the western and central parts of the state are a concern.  With today’s sunny and windy weather, a fire weather advisory statement has just been issued.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #167 on: June 07, 2020, 09:48:49 AM »
4.91 yesterday courtesy of the eastern flank of Cristobal. Just a couple miles to my west they are pushing 14 inches the past 2 days. The rainy season is here!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 04:24:23 PM by ocala »

Offline DRoberts

• Forecaster
« Reply #168 on: June 07, 2020, 01:33:25 PM »
4.91 yesterday courtesy of the eastern flank of Cristobal. Just a couple miles to my west they are pushing 14 inches the past 2 days. The rainy season is here!

Way things are going here, we will be lucky to get 14" in the entire year.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #169 on: June 07, 2020, 04:23:49 PM »

Way things are going here, we will be lucky to get 14" in the entire year.
Too bad Cristobal won't take a a more westerly approach.
Summer arrived at 2:30 today. DP-80. Humidity-80. Four and a half months of sticky, sweaty weather to come. :-)

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #170 on: June 07, 2020, 06:38:21 PM »
This is going to be a nasty storm!
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #171 on: June 07, 2020, 09:10:53 PM »
Hey Greg.
Went by your place the other day. Picked up my brother in Scottsboro on my way to Cleveland.
Forgot how nice mountains look. So used to flat Florida.

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #172 on: June 08, 2020, 03:48:41 AM »
Yep, you were in the neighborhood.  We're about 20 nw of Cleveland on Watts Bar Lake.  Yes, it is quite hilly here.  I'm wanting to go out west where they have big mountains.  Hoping for my retirement soon and think about a travel trailer and spending several months out there (maybe next spring).

I've been watching Nick Zentner's live streams about northwest geology and have become fascinated by it.  There's other places on the bucket list, as well.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #173 on: June 08, 2020, 07:43:44 AM »
Edit, that was Cleveland, Ohio not Cleveland, Tennessee. :grin: But we did stop in Cleveland,TN for some breakfast.
Know what you mean about out west. When I was 13 we took a trip out there. Halfway through Kansas on a clear day you could begin to see the Rocky's. When we finally got to them I was like holy crap!   

Offline DRoberts

• Forecaster
« Reply #174 on: June 09, 2020, 08:25:25 AM »

Hoping the models are overdoing this. Doesn't sound good for trees among other things.

anything