Author Topic: WLL ordered, can I still run cumulus on my connected PC?  (Read 790 times)

Offline boss281

• Senior Contributor
WLL ordered, can I still run cumulus on my connected PC?
« on: February 07, 2020, 06:39:06 AM »
Hardware: Vantage Pro2, USB datalogger (6510), old Windows 10 PC dedicated to just capturing weather data upstairs and out of the way
Software: Cumulus successfully connected to WeatherUnderground and PWSWeather.com

This setup works just fine for my purposes: watching temperature, pressure, wind and rain during storms. While WU has had many ups and downs, I could always watch these weather parameters through WU's android app or through a link to myWU PWS on the phone.

WU's latest fiasco with data transmission was my tipping point.  I've ordered a Weatherlink Live and will start using their android app and browser based dashboard, and start paying a monthly fee. However, I'd like to keep my console equipped with USB datalogger running with Cumulus to push data out to WU and PWSWeather.  Can I run both the WLL system and the datalogger/console/Cumulus together? On paper it looks like they are independent but wanted to make sure.

Thanks in advance.
Weather Underground PWS KMDNEWWI3

Offline casacota

• Observatori de Sant Martí de Canals
Re: WLL ordered, can I still run cumulus on my connected PC?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2020, 07:04:02 AM »
Yes you can. Both console and WLL will receive the signal from the ISS and process it their way.

I have 3 different consoles processing the signal from only one ISS (to develop software without breaking data).

Offline boss281

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2020, 10:20:01 AM »
Yes you can. Both console and WLL will receive the signal from the ISS and process it their way.

I have 3 different consoles processing the signal from only one ISS (to develop software without breaking data).

Thanks for the response...

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2020, 10:22:54 AM »
Cautionary advice...
I recommend you put the WLL next to your existing VP2 display and USB logger. Otherwise your indoor temperature and barometer will greatly vary depending on which console's data you look at. Technically speaking you could put the WLL downstairs and keep the VP2 display upstairs if your barometric calibration accounts for the elevation difference, but it's just simpler to keep them together.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline boss281

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2020, 10:26:29 AM »
Cautionary advice...
I recommend you put the WLL next to your existing VP2 display and USB logger. Otherwise your indoor temperature and barometer will greatly vary depending on which console's data you look at. Technically speaking you could put the WLL downstairs and keep the VP2 display upstairs if your barometric calibration accounts for the elevation difference, but it's just simpler to keep them together.

LOL. Thanks. It's expected to arrive today and I hope the install goes smooth. Then I can figure out which web sites to use while in front of the laptop, and see if the Davis mobile app provides me what I need inside the house. I've heard that it might not work with Pixel phones... :sad:

Offline mcrossley

• Forecaster
    • Wilmslow Astro
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2020, 10:42:17 AM »
And don't expect your WLL and VP2 console pressure readings to stay completely in line with each other. The WLL uses simple altimeter correction, whereas the VP2 uses some propriety algorithm that includes temperature (and possibly humidity?).
Mark

Offline Liamdog4

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2020, 06:41:46 PM »
Ya Boss,

Still not working reliably using a Pixel 4xl or Pixel 3xl phone. Works when it feels like it. I do notice bugs in the app display when it does work, but Davis doesn't know why it does that either. And Davis has no idea what the problem is. They they are no help. And in all my troubleshooting, I have not been able to figure it out either. What model Pixel do you have? And if you get it to work on the 3 or 4, I'd like to know. thanks.
Vantage Pro2 Plus Wireless, 24 hr Aspirated, Soil Moisture Station, Leaf Moisture, 2 Extra Temperature Stations

Offline boss281

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2020, 06:59:08 PM »
Ya Boss,

Still not working reliably using a Pixel 4xl or Pixel 3xl phone. Works when it feels like it. I do notice bugs in the app display when it does work, but Davis doesn't know why it does that either. And Davis has no idea what the problem is. They they are no help. And in all my troubleshooting, I have not been able to figure it out either. What model Pixel do you have? And if you get it to work on the 3 or 4, I'd like to know. thanks.
Pixel 3a... I will know tomorrow.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2020, 07:08:01 PM »
the VP2 uses some propriety algorithm that includes temperature (and possibly humidity?).
It's merely MSLP as the VP2 console is incapable of the altimeter setting.

Offline boss281

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2020, 05:07:54 AM »
Ya Boss,

My Pixel3a works at load but moving around the app makes the screen go blank. I will call Monday anyway...

Offline Liamdog4

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2020, 11:52:52 AM »
I noticed that lately too. I think there is a bug in the software. But my "Live" doesn't work consistently on the Pixel 4. Even my Samsung tablet does what you are talking about going white bland screen. Does your Pixel 3a have Android 10 or still on version 9? both my Pixels are on 10. I guess they are more worried about IOS instead of Android.  When I called tech, I was on the phone for a hour and half and didn't have an answer on why it was not doing "Live" on my phones. They told me they can see Weatherlink Live requesting to go live on the phone. But nothing happened. I had it work a couple times in a day, now for a few days again, nothing. ](*,)
Vantage Pro2 Plus Wireless, 24 hr Aspirated, Soil Moisture Station, Leaf Moisture, 2 Extra Temperature Stations

Offline boss281

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2020, 12:07:12 PM »
I noticed that lately too. I think there is a bug in the software. But my "Live" doesn't work consistently on the Pixel 4. Even my Samsung tablet does what you are talking about going white bland screen. Does your Pixel 3a have Android 10 or still on version 9? both my Pixels are on 10. I guess they are more worried about IOS instead of Android.  When I called tech, I was on the phone for a hour and half and didn't have an answer on why it was not doing "Live" on my phones. They told me they can see Weatherlink Live requesting to go live on the phone. But nothing happened. I had it work a couple times in a day, now for a few days again, nothing. ](*,)
I'm on Android 10.

When I first load the app it loads fine every time. but I can only do one thing. If I go into accounts, I can change account information then back out, but once I get back to the main screen, it turns white. I have to close the app and restart. Same with if I go into the weather details. If I scroll up and down I'm fine. But the moment I go back one or try to go to accounts it craps out again in the screen turns white. At least it works on initial load and is useful during a weather event.

Offline Liamdog4

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2020, 12:21:39 PM »
but that's not showing its "Live" at the top???

Offline boss281

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2020, 12:24:17 PM »
but that's not showing its "Live" at the top???
It alternates...

Offline Liamdog4

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2020, 12:31:27 PM »
Thats good for you. Glad it works. I'm just so frustrated mine does not work. and if it does, my Solar and UV readings to go "0"??? I wish I was smart enough to figure out what the differences are between 2 pixels that it won't work on and 2 Samsung tablets that it does work ok on. I can't see it being my network. Did you talk to Davis about the app going white screen yet?

Offline boss281

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2020, 12:36:35 PM »
Thats good for you. Glad it works. I'm just so frustrated mine does not work. and if it does, my Solar and UV readings to go "0"??? I wish I was smart enough to figure out what the differences are between 2 pixels that it won't work on and 2 Samsung tablets that it does work ok on. I can't see it being my network. Did you talk to Davis about the app going white screen yet?
He is taking it back to the engineers. He said the release on Friday should have fixed it but the last release was 1/29.  I am guessing it wasn't ready.

Offline racer3

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2020, 03:36:30 PM »
I have been having the same white screen problem also. Just started recently, a couple of days ago. not all the time though. Also noticed the app not updating wind every 2 1/2 seconds. It will update every time I touch and move the screen though. Every time I contact Davis their answer is they will give it to the engineers. They gave me the same story about an update on1/29. I was talking to them on 1/30. That's when he said that update was for a different problem. He said there would be another update on that Thursday, since that is when the release their updates. Well, I am still waiting!