Author Topic: Change to GPS function?  (Read 668 times)

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
Change to GPS function?
« on: August 16, 2014, 10:05:48 AM »
In the past, when I went to LightningMaps.org and chose station, I could scroll down to a satellite view of my place,along with the little push-pin marker and see the trace of where the GPS thought I was on earth.

It was helpful and entertaining to me at least to see where my antenna roamed about, according to the GPS.

I see that is now gone, and the map I get under that heading is now zoomed out to perhaps 15 miles across.  Zooming in does NOT even come close to where my station is, and no push-pin appears no matter how detailed I try to zoom in, and there certainly is no accumulation of the dither or error of the plotting.

I know there was some discussion a few months ago about some people being a bit worried about crazies knowing where their station was.  I believe there was a work around to be able to turn off that detail, and spoof it to being within a km or so.

I'm guessing that Tobi shut this off, big time, but showing a non-pinned display of the surrounding fifteen miles or so and moving the center point way off where we are.

My question is, what the heck good is this?  In my opinion this serves no useful function, and I guess I'm wondering what value it is when it is in its current implementation?

And if I do choose to leave the detail on or being mapped or even offer an option that only the registered user of the station can see that detail, why not?  German Shepherd Dogs who are rather fond of my family and me, and other 'security' measures I have leaves me relatively confident that if I choose to see and show that detail, that I'm not particularly worried about crazies showing up for an unannounced visit.

Just asking.  As is often the case with such a powerful system as this, there might be a little option box floating around that I've not seen.

Is there any way to return to the previously displayed map?

Thanks. Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
Re: Change to GPS function?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 10:18:08 AM »
If you are not logged into Lightningmaps.org... the GPS location is invisible. If you're logged in, you see it displayed. Not visible to surfers.
Last I heard was there was consideration to making the exact station location an 'operator's choice... remember we're dealing with various privacy laws around the world... that's part of the reason the station location is not visible directly.

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 10:23:18 AM »
I had done some major housecleaning, running various malware detectors and such and my cookie must have crumbled.

It shows my login etc but I had to hit the button to do so, and now my map is back!

And the pushpin.

And it is amazing how much the dogs and chipmunks have dragged my GPS antenna all over the deck and a little bit of the backyard.

I'm glad the functionality didn't disappear.  I need to act in my back yard but think globally with these programs that aren't just US based, thanks Mike.

Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2014, 10:30:47 AM »
True... when you look at LightningMaps.org... strikes and zoom in, you'll find your station location displaced by as much as 3 miles.... again, privacy laws... since that data is public.  Doesn't affect the stroke deviation, just the detecting station's location. Same reason you must be logged in on Participant's page to see Lat/Long of station...