Author Topic: Weatherlink desktop software and Meteobridge  (Read 2040 times)

Offline rydercowan

Weatherlink desktop software and Meteobridge
« on: May 27, 2021, 06:18:11 AM »
I've been using Weatherlink desktop software with my Davis Vantage Vue and Weatherlink IP logger for many years, and have just started using Meteobridge. Since connecting Meteobridge to the Vantage Vue via IP I've found difficulty with the connection between the desktop software and the IP logger. Data from the logger struggles to download and eventually fails. I disconnected Meteobridge, and found I could again download from the logger, but unusually the logger appeared full - something like 513 'pages' worth. When that had all been downloaded to the desktop software I checked again a few minutes later and found that the logger again appeared full.

It appears that using Meteobridge has 'done something' to the IP logger. I tried specifying the MAC address of the Meteobridge in the station config of the desktop software, to see if I could link it directly to Meteobridge, but that didn't work.

What am I doing wrong here? Should I be able to specify Meteobridge connection in the Weatherlink desktop software's config? Why is the Weatherlink IP logger staying full after download?

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: Weatherlink desktop software and Meteobridge
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2021, 07:43:06 AM »
With the WeatherLink IP you can only have one software/device pulling data. You can't run both Meteobridge and WeatherLink PC software at he same time with your logger configuration. I understand that you are trying to only use Meteobridge with the WeatherLink IP and then the WLPC software pointed at the Meteobridge but I think that is a less than optimal solution.

My recommendation is to invest in the WeatherLink Live as that will allow an unlimited amount of software/devices to simultaneously pull data. But the WeatherLink Live is not compatible with WeatherLink PC software so you'll just keep the WeatherLink IP for that.

Once you have the WeatherLink Live you'll not just be able to run Meteobridge but you'll also be able to check out Cumulus MX, Weather-Display, and WeeWX.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2021, 07:59:00 AM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline wvdkuil

• Wim van der kuil
  • Forecaster
    • My PWS at Leuven Belgium Europe
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2021, 09:06:37 AM »
I've been using Weatherlink desktop software with my Davis Vantage Vue and Weatherlink IP logger for many years, and have just started using Meteobridge. Since connecting Meteobridge to the Vantage Vue via IP I've found difficulty with the connection between the desktop software and the IP logger. Data from the logger struggles to download and eventually fails. I disconnected Meteobridge, and found I could again download from the logger, but unusually the logger appeared full - something like 513 'pages' worth. When that had all been downloaded to the desktop software I checked again a few minutes later and found that the logger again appeared full.

It appears that using Meteobridge has 'done something' to the IP logger. I tried specifying the MAC address of the Meteobridge in the station config of the desktop software, to see if I could link it directly to Meteobridge, but that didn't work.

What am I doing wrong here? Should I be able to specify Meteobridge connection in the Weatherlink desktop software's config? Why is the Weatherlink IP logger staying full after download?

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Second part of the description for the VUE  at https://www.meteobridge.com/wiki/index.php/Stations

Meteobridge allows parallel use of the Vantage by a PC program, which connects to the Meteobridge on port 22222 (like with a Davis IP logger). Meteobridge can also pass through the connection to the Davis station to an additional PC weather program of your liking. Therefore, you can use Meteobridge and a PC weather program in parallel.

Do not use the mac-address, use the IP-address of the Meteobridge.
It should work.

Wim

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2021, 10:53:05 AM »
But isn't there some loss of live wind data if Weatherlink PC software gets data from Meteobridge? The Meteobridge needs to interrupt its live data to allow for the Weatherlink PC software to then talk to the logger.

How long is that interruption for? What is affected by this interruption?

Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline wvdkuil

• Wim van der kuil
  • Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2021, 11:01:09 AM »
But isn't there some loss of live wind data if Weatherlink PC software gets data from Meteobridge? The Meteobridge needs to interrupt its live data to allow for the Weatherlink PC software to then talk to the logger.

How long is that interruption for? What is affected by this interruption?

Meteobridge is not directly communicating with the console, the Meteobridge listens to the traffic Weatherlink is listening to also. 
Does not matter if it is USB or IP, the only think needed is the Davis console.
It will not work with any other setup, not with a  Meteobridge PRO red  or Meteostick f.i.

Wim

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2021, 12:43:54 PM »
Meteobridge is not directly communicating with the console, the Meteobridge listens to the traffic Weatherlink is listening to also. 
Does not matter if it is USB or IP, the only think needed is the Davis console.
It will not work with any other setup, not with a  Meteobridge PRO red  or Meteostick f.i.

Not sure I totally recognise that description. Let's start from a configuration where first there's no separate PC and WLfW connected, and MB is linking direct to the IP logger. MB must be polling the logger in the usual way for LOOP data. That's all OK.

Then add in the separate PC and WLfW. If that's pointed at the IP logger's IP address then the WLfW will also be polling the logger for data. Happy to be proved wrong but I'd be surprised if MB detects the change in configuration and switches to some mode of listening. (Not sure how it listens to non-UDP packets intended for WLfW, but maybe there's a way.)

I can see a configuration where WLfW is pointed instead at the MB IP address to make use of the MB passthrough mode. But I'm not surprised to hear of issues downloading archive data as distinct from receiving LOOP data.

But re the OP's problem: There's almost certainly no problem with the IP logger, but with the WLfW data files which have got corrupted or all the usual problems of datetime etc not being adequately synchronised. That needs fixing.

But more generally, if it's an IP logger then presumably (?) it is also uploading to weatherlink.com. Assuming so, then the best way of grabbing the archive data is via direct download from weatherlink.com using the Web Download option via the v1 API, which still works for free AFAIK. (That's the Web Download setting in the WLfW Communication Port dialogue.) Simply don't try to download the archive data direct from the logger (or via MB come to that).
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2021, 05:51:37 PM »
...... But more generally, if it's an IP logger then presumably (?) it is also uploading to weatherlink.com. Assuming so, then the best way of grabbing the archive data is via direct download from weatherlink.com using the Web Download option via the v1 API, which still works for free AFAIK. (That's the Web Download setting in the WLfW Communication Port dialogue.) Simply don't try to download the archive data direct from the logger (or via MB come to that).

With something like a MR3020 that is the best way for WeatherLinkPC to "download" archive data is from WeatherLink.com. The 2 things an IP logger system is doing on the same network as a MB is the MB allowing the upload of "real time" page data (as such) at a usable selectable interval of 1, 5 or 10 minutes under the MB settings apart from the typical hourly Archive data at whatever interval (1 to 120 minutes) the logger is configured       

Offline rydercowan

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2021, 04:46:42 AM »
Very many thanks for all the helpful advice and comments. I didn't know you could download archive data from Weatherlink into WLfW software, and now have that set up. It is indeed a much more convenient way of accessing the archive.
I've also been able to access the archive data on my logger by pointing WLfW at the Meteobridge. Closer investigation showed that the station archive data stored in WLfW had become corrupted - dates into the 2100's were showing in available NOAA reports. I deleted the offending wlk files in the Weatherlink folder for the station, and downloaded the archive again from the logger via Meteobridge. That worked perfectly, meaning I again have a complete archive going back several years, which I would have been sad to have lost - the downloaded archive from Weatherlink only extended back to October last year.
A successful outcome thanks to the information received.

Offline MuntyWeather

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2021, 11:03:51 AM »
Hi Guys (and Gals)  This is not strictly a reply, but it's not a new topic either.  I've been using Meteobridge for some years now to upload Davis Pro2 data to Cumulus and Weatherlink (one at a time!). I also upload to a number of 'weather networks'.  All quite successful. Now I'd like to see my data on the Weatherlink mobile app.  I've downloaded and installed the app and can see my neighbours' data, but mine doesn't appear.  What am I doing wrong ?  Is there an extra step I'm missing? Any help would be very welcome. 

Offline rydercowan

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2021, 12:17:33 PM »
I'm far from being expert but would think you ought to be able to locate your station in the mobile app either by station name or location, using the search options provided. If your station is not to be found either by name or location could it be that you have marked your uploaded data as 'private' rather than 'public' in weatherlink.com?

Offline MuntyWeather

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2021, 08:22:23 AM »
Many thanks for reply.  I don't think I can be registered with Weatherlink.com, although I seem to have an account.  So I logged on and tried 'add a device'.  I chose the data-logger.  It then detected my position as somewhere in Gloucestershire (I'm in Somerset) but wouldn't let me change it.  The next page gives you an ID and key.  Still mystified.

Offline wvdkuil

• Wim van der kuil
  • Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2021, 08:28:14 AM »
Many thanks for reply.  I don't think I can be registered with Weatherlink.com, although I seem to have an account.  So I logged on and tried 'add a device'.  I chose the data-logger.  It then detected my position as somewhere in Gloucestershire (I'm in Somerset) but wouldn't let me change it.  The next page gives you an ID and key.  Still mystified.

You can now instruct meteobridge to upload to weatherlink.com and you use the ID (= some form  of mac:address) and the key.
Depends on which version of Meteobridge you have.
Tab Weathernets => Add more . . . => select Weatherlink cloud
See screenshot

Wim

P.S. The location Gloucestershire is based on your home internet-providers connection with the real internet.
That is never the location of your home-router.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2021, 08:30:13 AM by wvdkuil »

Offline MuntyWeather

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2021, 04:21:42 AM »

Thanks for that, Wim.  I followed your advice and managed to get it to show my data.  Initially the ID given by WeatherLink was incorrect (having 10 characters rather than 11), but I was able to correct it by reference to your screen shot. In the process I created one bogus device.  So I need to delete that device and correct the location.  Also change my name as there appears to be another Munty Weather in California!  Once again many thanks  - Ted

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2022, 07:51:50 PM »
re setting meteobridge to upload to Weather Link
I do not see that as an option in the drop for weather nets?

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2022, 08:26:20 PM »
WL Cloud

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2022, 10:49:05 PM »
I see weather cloud
in the drop down
but not that option
Meteobridge 5.3 (Mar 29 2022, build 14699), FW 1.4

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2022, 12:21:11 AM »
Second from bottom of list is where I see it.

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2022, 05:08:58 AM »
not here  :roll:

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2022, 05:28:49 AM »
Strange. I know my MB shows a slightly older iteration of software but doesn't make sense it would be different.

Mine reads: 5.3 (Mar 22 2022, build 14688), FW 1.4

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2022, 05:38:42 AM »
not here  :roll:

Then you are not running a Davis station?

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2022, 02:15:55 PM »
But of course I am, I am not an idiot
in RF recevieve mode
does it need to be direct USB connection mode?

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2022, 02:30:23 PM »
by adding a vantage station as a secondary station (i.e usb connection option)
it now shows up in the drop down list
thankyou

update: i do have a IP data logger, so I am entering the DID and key from that

but I get an error illegal character in ID (i am entering zeros and not O's)
it says B is illegal   ...but that is not an illegal HEX character

edit. I used another DID and key pair from another station setup I had on weatherlink.com and that worked (even though that has a B in the DID)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2022, 02:45:39 PM by waiukuweather »

Offline docbee

• Forecaster
    • smartbedded
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2022, 03:31:46 PM »
Uplink to Davis Weather Link Cloud is only supported, when Davis console is connected via Davis Logger, NANO, WiFi Logger or alike.

Primary reason is that undocumented Davis proprietary data structures from within the console are used for upload into the cloud and these can hardly be simulated. Secondary reason is that any approach of tunnelling data of non-Davis stations into the Davis Cloud is expected to get a firm response from Davis, while they seem to tolerate non-Davis upload devices for Davis stations.
founder of smartbedded.com - home of meteohub, meteoplug, meteobridge, meteostick