Author Topic: NOAA Weather Radio partial county warnings  (Read 990 times)

Offline Jasiu

• Forecaster
    • LexMAWeather
NOAA Weather Radio partial county warnings
« on: July 15, 2020, 12:36:34 PM »
NWS is looking to expand their partial county warning experiment. I welcome this development as our weather radio gets too many warnings (I only have audio on for severe thunderstorms and tornadoes) that are only applicable to parts of our county 40+ miles away. Only one county in NV is being added at this time, however.

https://www.weather.gov/pca/

There is a link at the bottom of the page for contacts if you'd like to make comments.
https://lexmaweather.info
On Mastodon: @LexMAWeather@toot.community

Offline CNYWeather

• Forecaster
    • CNYWeather
Re: NOAA Weather Radio partial county warnings
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2020, 02:41:18 PM »
My county is split into 2 zones as it is already and a lot of warnings for 35 miles away blast over the weather radio.
I'll take this instead!
Tony

Offline AWL

• Forecaster
    • Ardmore Weather Live
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2020, 02:53:10 PM »
Wonder how well existing weather radios are going to handle these "partial" county warnings  :-k

Doug

Offline K6GKM

• CamWX.com
  • Contributor
    • CamWX
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2020, 12:52:31 AM »
Hear, hear!  We have so many micro-climates here in Southern California... there are 18 zones in the four counties that the local WFO covers (I've had to get very creative with the script that handles the NWS Warnings on my website).  Granted, we very rarely see any SVR's or TOR's, but we do get the odd FFW in the winter following active fire seasons. I'd welcome the ability to have my receiver ignore irrelevant warnings, as would the residents of San Bernardino County to my east, I'm sure.  It's the largest county in the nation, covering 20,105 square miles. :shock:
Grant Miles
Camarillo, CA, USA
Owner/Admin - CamWX.com
SKYWARN Spotter
Station Hardware: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus w/ 24hr FARS
Station Software: Weather Display, Weather Message, FWI Calculator, StartWatch, with social media & messaging automation using Make.com, Twilio, and Brevo.

anything